gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 06:01:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: In the Back of my Mind: Strings, Saxes, & oboe isolation cover  (Read 1056 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2021, 01:15:26 PM »

After transcribing and double checking my work for over a year, and acquiring - through blood, sweat, and tears - the necessary instruments, I'm finally ready to reproduce the string overdub from In the Back of My Mind, which is joined with Brian's delightful arrangement of the sax trio on the session.  I also threw in the oboe part of the overdub.  I think you'll agree that it's a pretty interesting arrangement.  Brian probably sang the string lines to each desk, maybe the first time he did this with a string section.  The writing is a little weird -- one might call it amateurish voice leading, but despite a little bit "not knowing quite what to do with these instruments" feeling, the strange dissonances in the strings echo the song's theme beautifully.

I hope you enjoy it, and I will be back soon with another video that discusses this in more detail.

https://youtu.be/CouiAZgdS64
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 06:14:28 PM »

Simply amazing. My favorite arrangement and writing by Brian and it’s so great to hear this!

I was blown away the first time I heard the instrumental to this track...nice to see that others appreciate it!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 08:30:50 PM »

Impressive! Looking forward to seeing this broken down even further.

Great job on the Kokomo-style solo, too.  Smiley

Watch out for snakes!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 02:22:58 AM »

Beautifula! Thank you, aeijtzsche!

Not to take anything away from Dennis' vocal, but this song I find in it's instrumental version even better than with singing.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 09:54:03 AM »

Really fantastic work.

Some of Brian's chord changes are breathtaking and mysterious – especially on the "I try to rationalize" line. Great use of major and minor sevenths.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx