gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:21:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1966 on my site  (Read 1694 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2021, 12:18:40 PM »

Just thought I'd mention that I have completed 1966 on my site https://www.beachboysgigs.com/    You can view-under the gigs heading-all shows from 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965 and now 1966-with photos from shows, advertisements, posters.  In addition there is a blog/updates to my book with Jon-listing shows discovered since the publication.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 05:21:52 PM »

Brilliant stuff, Ian! I noticed 2-3 gigs where there are still placeholders for further data, but the scope of this is simply awesome--the pix and the accompanying text is terrific. What a great way to take in all this info--thanks so much for the beyond-the-call-of-duty research, the diligence to compile it on-line, and for posting additions and corrections to the book all in one place. Won-won-wonderful!!  3D
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 06:19:48 PM »

Ian, great work here. I have one correction -- the name of the Memphis venue on April 6th is the Ellis Auditorium. You've got it right in the 1965 section.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 03:58:11 AM »

Great! I'm always looking forward to your updates. Such an interesting site!

I saw that one picture of Al with his guitar is mirrored (March 12th).

And you say on May 5th "Following this show, a radio DJ interviewed the Beach Boys about their new album Pet Sounds, which had been released while they were on tour. A decent tape of this interview makes the rounds" but wasn't Pet Sounds released on May 16th?
I only know this interview from that time:

Al Jardine & Mike Love • 1966 Interview On "Pet Sounds"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgd-CITMvuk

So is there more? I would love to hear this. IIRC I only read about the Boys talking about Pet Sounds at that time but never heard them (apart from the audio I linked to above)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 06:58:35 AM »

Thanks for the comments. I have to go over it again with a fine tooth comb. I will change the Memphis info-by the way that photo was backstage that day. I’ll have to listen to that you tube video and see if it is the tape I’ve heard. The interviewer notes he is from Hartford and they mention the show-I am pretty positive it was that night-maybe the radio people got their advance copies that day
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 12:24:53 PM »

Should also mention that I have updated stuff when I find reviews, photos, etc. For example-recently added photos of June 24 1966 Iona and Aug 14 1966 Thunder Bay. I also updated 1962 to add three shows I recently discovered
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 02:25:13 AM »

Should also mention that I have updated stuff when I find reviews, photos, etc. For example-recently added photos of June 24 1966 Iona and Aug 14 1966 Thunder Bay. I also updated 1962 to add three shows I recently discovered

Thanks for the heads-up! Those 60s pictures are fascinating to me

Did you see this post?
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,27526.msg669562.html#new

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 08:05:31 AM »

Ahhhhh, those ticket prices.... You could go see several major acts on the same bill for $5 or less back then.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 08:07:30 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 09:54:35 AM »

Sorry I posted a response to Rocker in the wrong place-Yes I saw that Atlanta show....We list it at http://bellagio10452.com/gigs87.html  which of course I have helped to compile for many, many years now.   That site is constantly being updated by me-whenever I find a new show or someone passes on some new info-so it is very up to date with latest research.  My own site is only up to 1967 (if you click on 1967 I have just started in on it) but Bellagio is up to date (though bellagio does not have reviews or photos, etc).  So if you look at Bellagio you will see, for example, all the 1987 shows that I know of.  As the years go by we are pretty complete...I think we list almost every show played after 1964.  The 1962-64 period is still a work in progress, as we occasionally learn something new when another paper is digitized or an old poster or flyer comes up for sale...I've found about five or six new shows from the 1962-63 period in the last year alone-that even Jim Murphy missed in his great book
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx