gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:30:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Still Talking 60th  (Read 7286 times)
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2021, 11:31:46 AM »

I think the majority of folks (possibly even the Mike jihadists over at "the nearest faraway place") would much rather have the entirety of Brian's "suite" (only partially revealed to us on TWGMTR) than a rekindling of the "Wilson-Love songwriting partnership" (which, truth told, was already fungible by the time the BBs had their first national hit).

Given the position of the hands on the "clock of life," we should let Brian decide what he has left in the tank and how much he wants to do during the balance of his remaining days. Mike can pretty much do what he's been doing for the past 5-10 years without any help from Brian, thank you very much.

The past we want is the past that was withheld at the time it was created, not some puffed-up nostalgic nonsense vainly and vapidly attempting to transport us back to 1964 (when Barry Goldwater "presciently" suggested to Mike and others that "extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice"). When it comes to new (archival) revelations about the Beach Boys' past, give me 1969-72--please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2021, 07:12:21 PM »

I guess I'm the only one that yearns to hear something like:
I was reelin' and rockin' with Barbara Ann,
singing California Girls and holding hands,
on a surfin' safari to the shores of Kokomo

Now here we are in 2021,
still having good times and fun, fun, fun
in my 409 we just go, go, go

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2021, 07:48:42 PM »

Interesting the idea of some kind of ‘remote’ recording has come up. It’s doable, but goes against the idea of a group recording for this listener. Anyway this story has just appeared. It’s a long shot...but hey....it’s crazy times! 🤪

https://www.soundslikenashville.com/news/locash-tease-mysterious-new-collaboration-beach-boys/

In part....

LOCASH TEASE MYSTERIOUS NEW COLLABORATION, ‘BEACH BOYS’

Another feel-good jam is on the way -- can you guess who's joining in?

Soon fans will hear the results when LOCASH releases a brand new collaboration, but the duo won’t reveal anything about the mysterious new track — except its name.

“You figure out who the artist is, it’s real tough,” teases Lucas. “The song is called ‘Beach Boys.'”

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2021, 08:43:48 PM »

I guess I'm the only one that yearns to hear something like:
I was reelin' and rockin' with Barbara Ann,
singing California Girls and holding hands,
on a surfin' safari to the shores of Kokomo

Now here we are in 2021,
still having good times and fun, fun, fun
in my 409 we just go, go, go

Summer In Paradise Part 2: Electric Brian's Back-aloo (The Legend of Bruce's Gold)

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2021, 02:10:51 AM »

Didn't all the guys record vocals for a new "Add some music to your day" version, that won't be released under the Beach Boys' name iirc? Hm, could this be a bonus track for Feel Flows?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2021, 08:06:32 AM »

I wish any of the BBs individually (or collectively) had the ability to do what McCartney can do. But none of them at this stage have the willingness and/or ability to write, perform, and record something with no outside help. Al has had his own studio literally at his home for over 40 years and he's mustered one solo album. Mike has done a bunch of solo stuff in recent years, but most of it is remakes of old tracks, and has obviously needed a plethora of outside musicians and producers to make it happen.

I don't picture them doing something without some outside help via co-writers, co-producers/engineers, additional musicians, etc.

They all had the past year to do stuff individually or collectively, and they did very little. Brian early on last year did that Colbert thing that was clearly shot on a smartphone in the span of like an hour. Mike cut that one awful song with his touring band, and then did sporadic live dates. I'm not sure what Al did.

They managed to *not* get the "Feel Flows" set greenlit earlier, so I guess if delaying something is considered an accomplishment, they did that.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2021, 08:36:45 AM »

They managed to *not* get the "Feel Flows" set greenlit earlier, so I guess if delaying something is considered an accomplishment, they did that.

LOL LOL LOL   Yet another metric by which they're one of music's most accomplished groups.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2021, 08:45:30 AM »

Interesting the idea of some kind of ‘remote’ recording has come up. It’s doable, but goes against the idea of a group recording for this listener. Anyway this story has just appeared. It’s a long shot...but hey....it’s crazy times! 🤪

https://www.soundslikenashville.com/news/locash-tease-mysterious-new-collaboration-beach-boys/

In part....

LOCASH TEASE MYSTERIOUS NEW COLLABORATION, ‘BEACH BOYS’

Another feel-good jam is on the way -- can you guess who's joining in?

Soon fans will hear the results when LOCASH releases a brand new collaboration, but the duo won’t reveal anything about the mysterious new track — except its name.

“You figure out who the artist is, it’s real tough,” teases Lucas. “The song is called ‘Beach Boys.'”

Weezer has a song called "Beach Boys," maybe it is them, complete with dialog from Murry on it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 08:46:05 AM by Matt H » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2021, 10:48:50 PM »

I wish any of the BBs individually (or collectively) had the ability to do what McCartney can do. But none of them at this stage have the willingness and/or ability to write, perform, and record something with no outside help. Al has had his own studio literally at his home for over 40 years and he's mustered one solo album. Mike has done a bunch of solo stuff in recent years, but most of it is remakes of old tracks, and has obviously needed a plethora of outside musicians and producers to make it happen.

I don't picture them doing something without some outside help via co-writers, co-producers/engineers, additional musicians, etc.

They all had the past year to do stuff individually or collectively, and they did very little. Brian early on last year did that Colbert thing that was clearly shot on a smartphone in the span of like an hour. Mike cut that one awful song with his touring band, and then did sporadic live dates. I'm not sure what Al did.

The only Beach Boys that could do a totally solo album are Brian and Carl, and Carl won't be recording new stuff any time soon.
Brian could years ago, but I doubt he could play the drums today in 2021. Well, he might be able to play a snare drum with a pencil.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2021, 07:46:07 AM »

The only Beach Boys that could do a totally solo album are Brian and Carl, and Carl won't be recording new stuff any time soon.

Well, Dennis worked that way, too IIRC, and did record a lot of songs more or less on his own.

If the guys really were to do a TV special, I'd rather have them release the complete Rolling Stone session from 2012 and the Grammy Museum performance from the same year. If they ever get to be in a room together (and right now they shouldn't!) maybe they can hum a couple of bars of "Surfer Girl" and then end this Beach Boys thing once and for all. But another tour and big celebration just won't do it for me for reasons I stated before.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2021, 12:56:53 PM »

Brian self recorded Love You up to a certain stage, but couldn't motivate himself to finish it. There's no way he'd be able to write and record an album's worth of material today without significant help.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2021, 01:48:29 PM »

Some of the BBs had good multi-instrumentalist talents and some level of production chops.

But nobody in the band has ever had the ability to do what McCartney has done on multiple albums, which is write all the songs, then record them all by singing and playing *everything* himself, and also produce *and* engineer it himself. Especially if we're talking something outside of someone singing a solo vocal and playing a single instrument.

Brian could have come close, but when he was producing stuff himself in the 60s, he had other musicians he was usually working with, and in the 76/77 era when he did some tracks where he played all the instruments, he usually had an engineer there, and while I love the "Love You" album, some of Brian's "drums" barely register as a truly full drum "performance."

I'm not trying to compare or denigrate, but clearly McCartney both due to his ability and his drive/motivation, has a number of times been able to get and album done top-to-bottom almost entirely by himself, whereas the BBs have needed help in any number of areas. This is an important thing to note in the BBs history, because it has been the reason why a number of projects (e.g. the mid-90s reunion) never took off, an also how occasionally stuff actually does get done (Joe Thomas making it happen in 2012).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2021, 10:51:17 AM »

I agree.

Brian would have been the most likely candidate, but his solo recordings are almost always very pared back, or alternatively used session musicians. Same with Dennis.

I'd say Carl came closest in the early 70s era, but even the there were contributions by other musicians.

We're talking about the greatest vocal harmony group known to man - their business card should have read "vocal gymnasts". What would be the point of an albums worth of material recorded exclusively by one of them without any outside help? (He asks rhetorically).

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2021, 12:17:29 AM »

New Al online interview today. Maybe it has been posted elsewhere?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8FS85ZTHnkI&fbclid=IwAR1UhVyBnNCXiwk85PTZPzjUu5EeI0rP4DIioyakPut5G_n3FwGbfoVLHvc

It’s long, I’m only 20 mins in. Waves of Love 2.0 and stuff.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2021, 10:14:25 AM »

Cleaned up URL that doesn't take you to the mobile version and doesn't include Facebook's tracking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FS85ZTHnkI
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2021, 02:18:31 PM »

You know, Al Jardine is a mensch, isn't he?   Such a thoroughly decent, level-headed guy.  I always remember the comment I saw from Milton Love ~30 years ago along the lines that Al was the only member of the Beach Boys who had survived the Beach Boys with his personality and value system intact.  He also said something like, "And after him, maybe Carl.  And after that, it goes downhill... fast."
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2021, 03:46:42 PM »

Cleaned up URL that doesn't take you to the mobile version and doesn't include Facebook's tracking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FS85ZTHnkI

Mahalo!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2021, 06:26:15 AM »

You know, Al Jardine is a mensch, isn't he?   Such a thoroughly decent, level-headed guy.  I always remember the comment I saw from Milton Love ~30 years ago along the lines that Al was the only member of the Beach Boys who had survived the Beach Boys with his personality and value system intact.  He also said something like, "And after him, maybe Carl.  And after that, it goes downhill... fast."

Al is what you always hoped you're Rock heroes would be like in person, before you found out the ugly truth.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 06:47:46 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx