gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:00:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Still Talking 60th  (Read 7289 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2021, 07:12:23 PM »

Mentions a TV Special and more. Mike vague and Brian oblivious.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/beach-boys-60th-anniversary-plans-1117375/
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 07:13:53 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 07:19:58 PM »

At least they're talking... in a way

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 11:16:57 PM »

Who knows if this will really happen, but I see the fact that Al is even talking about the possibility of this as a positive thing.   IF (and only if) Brian is up to it, and they all got together for a handful of post-covid  "last-hurrah" shows at signature venues like the Hollywood Bowl, I'd love to attend.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 06:45:23 AM »

It's almost like someone wrote a very subtle parody article of every other "reunion talk" article from pre-2012 and post-2012, complete with Al blabbing about this and that while everybody else seems utterly circumspect. Classic Beach Boys.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 07:48:24 AM »

FWIW, Al shared the Rolling Stone article on Facebook.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Occasional grilled cheese
Smiley Smile Associate

Quickly Duncan, the strengths!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 08:10:33 AM »

Al's wishful optimism is appreciated here. Still, I can't help but read this with a grain or two of salt like in 2013 when he said, "I’d like to do the whole Love You album. Man, those are some of the best songs we ever did." Times like these I wish he had more clout in the whole thing.

Try Q-Z-2-U-H
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 09:16:21 AM »

We'll see what happens.  Gotta take Jardine's words with a grain of salt though.  He has a tendency to be a little "oblivious" about things.  I hope something happens to celebrate their 60th even if it's lowkey.  I think they're getting a little long in the tooth for a full-blown tour but who knows? 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 09:46:07 AM »

Personally, I'm not much of a fan of this idea. There was the 50th anniversary and reunion. That's it. A 60th reunion would make the first one less special and itself nothing more but a rehash. I know, the Beach Boys, when they find something that sells, milk it dry, but c'mon. The guys had their chance to be a band again and they didn't get it together.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 09:55:37 AM »

Could be some damage control given some of the recent events, trying to move past it all. A soupçon of "love and mercy" to forestall any further backlash that might cut into sales for FEEL FLOWS and subsequent projects. The only person who can make such statements to the press at this point is Al, since Mike has dug a deep hole for himself in this area and Brian is disinclined to engage (and if he did, it would just push Mike to open his yap again).

Let's all "do what we can and oughta" when FEEL FLOWS comes out and buy a second copy to give as a gift to someone we know who really needs to understand just how great the band was in the '69-'71 time frame. If everyone here and over at "the nearest faraway place" would do this, it'd be a nice little boost in sales that might have some tangible (and intangible) benefits for our beleaguered Boys, who seem determined to follow Rieley's Dictum to the end of their natural days.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 10:09:09 AM »

I found it odd to see a "TV special" mentioned, because since 2012 and especially since 2020 the viewing habits of at least American audiences has changed radically. I'm taking a wild guess here, but how many people watch regular network TV anymore? I definitely don't, and neither do most people I'm in regular contact with. Unless it's a major sporting event, it feels like most are watching on-demand or streaming channels, and even that landscape has changed dramatically to where you'd need to subscribe to at least a half-dozen streaming services to cover the usual bases of program selections, and by that point you're paying more than you would subscribing to cable which is the cut-the-cord mentality where most of this streaming trend started!

So yes, it's just talk at this point, but if the Beach Boys were to be part of a "TV" special it will be interesting to see on which platform they'd be showing it. I can only see offering it to Netflix or Prime, which I think are still the two main services, being the best option. The days of tuning into NBC Thursday at 9 to catch a special seem to be gone, and I'm wondering if that old-school mentality will be in place as they're throwing around this hypothetical idea for a TV special.

In terms of a 60th live reunion tour or shows, I could care less. That ship sailed back in 2012. It wasn't "the band" who didn't get it together, let's be honest. Three members out of the four originals wanted to explore other possibilities, and Mike put the kibosh on that. Mike got exactly what he wanted, or what he said he wanted, and has been doing it for 8 years. Fans of his defended his choice, while most other fans of the band still can't believe how it all went down so negatively after a triumphant run. And Mike himself has pretty much been negative about the 2012 reunion across the board, where the tour, the album, and other aspects of it did not meet with his approval, yet hundreds of thousands of fans who bought the albums, the DVD's, the merch, and tickets for the reunion tour thought it was great. There is a wide disparity between how Mike thought it all went, and how fans thought it went...and I get the impression Mike would have wanted it under his full control and decision-making and may still feel that way today for any future plans. Just check out those comments about his "plans" for a 60th reunion posted here last year, and you'll see a blueprint of remakes/rerecords, guest artists singing "classics" with him, "greatest hits" style comps, and other stuff that looks suspiciously similar to what Mike himself has been doing with his career over the past decade.

It's hard to be upbeat about something that already went so sour after what most (excluding Mike) thought was a positive return to form for a classic band. Maybe I'll be proven wrong. But 2022 is definitely not 2012 and the prospect of hearing Vanilla Ice or Mark McGrath tackling Beach Boys tunes alongside Mike doesn't fill me with a lot of positivity.  

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 11:45:33 AM »

Should a TV special wind up on a streaming service, I won't get to see it until it gets released on disc.

My gut feeling is that Al is trying to stir up interest in a reunion.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 11:48:33 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 12:42:37 PM »

Should a TV special wind up on a streaming service, I won't get to see it until it gets released on disc.

My gut feeling is that Al is trying to stir up interest in a reunion.

My advice would be to figure out a way to stream stuff. At this stage it's literally no different from cable TV. The streaming services are fanning back out literally to their own individual services. At this stage, "streaming" devices are an "a la carte" form of cable TV. You literally get streaming services though the same cables/lines that deliver actual cable TV.

I can't imagine not paying for one month of Netflix or something if they all of a sudden had a 10-part "Beach Boys Anthology" documentary or something.

Many if not most programming that is exclusive to the now-warring streaming services will never come out on physical media. Some items that are produced by outside studios and only licensed to those streaming services will sometimes see a physical release eventually in some cases.

The Beach Boys should be pitching Netflix or HBO Max on a long-form documentary and all sorts of other programming, and yes, that means it would either never come out on physical media or would not for a long time (and let's face it, while I hate it, I'm not sure physical releases will be more than a very small niche in another five to seven years).

The degree to which cable TV has taken a backseat to streaming is evidenced by HBO, who has basically turned their "regular" HBO channel into a light/digest version of their "HBO Max" service.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2021, 12:58:02 PM »

It's funny, because pre-2012, the idea of one or two reunion shows and a resulting "TV special" was being bandied about by Mike, and it was Al who back then said (rightly so) that it would be a waste to do all the work and rehearsal to do one or two shows, and that it would make way more sense to do a tour.

But a decade after the 50th reunion, things are different. Unless Mike ever actually really decides to firmly retire, if he always intends to plan to go back out with his *own* version of the band after some period of "reunion" activity, I don't see him committing to even a C50 level of touring. He doesn't want another September 2012 with "Mike fires Brian" headlines and bunch of people "re-realizing" that Mike's band are "imposters", etc, etc.

Ironically, last year and probably this year would be the best time to do essentially a "non-tour" reunion, because Mike's not going to get a ton of bookings in 2021 either, so there wouldn't be conflicting "versions" of the band if they did a 60th reunion project later this year consisting of a new album and maybe a "closed" live show (or a few shows) filmed in a studio and released as a live cable/streaming/broadcast/video project.

That all being said, after bowing to nobody in my enthusiasm for how amazing C50 was, I'm pretty okay now with no further reunion stuff. I don't think a live show would match 2012 at this stage. Al still sounds good vocally, I can only guess Dave's still got the guitar chops, and beyond that I'm not sure anything would be as good as the C50 tour.

It would undeniably be interesting to hear another new studio album. I'd be curious to hear all those TWGMTR outtakes. But that gets us to Mike's ire from 2012. I don't think he wants to record any more Joe Thomas songs, and I think he probably (whether justified or not) feels too burned by the 2012 tour to ever commit to another full tour.

At that point, do I really want would probably essentially be a 2021/22 version of the "Doin' It Again" TV special? A short, CliffsNotes bio of the band, some stock promo "we're back!" interviews, and live performances of the same old hits.

Let's see them spend the next few years pushing the archives. That's where it's at.

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2021, 01:13:26 PM »

Emdeeh, is it a broadband issue where you live?  If not, keep in mind that a lot of the streaming services offer free trials (7 days is typical).  If and when a BB special ends up on a streaming service, why not time a free trial to coincide with the show?
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2021, 01:19:19 PM »

It would undeniably be interesting to hear another new studio album. I'd be curious to hear all those TWGMTR outtakes. But that gets us to Mike's ire from 2012. I don't think he wants to record any more Joe Thomas songs, and I think he probably (whether justified or not) feels too burned by the 2012 tour to ever commit to another full tour.

I think a full tour like 2012 would be an insanely bad idea.  Al seems be talking about a mini tour.  Even a 3-show stint in L.A. at something like the Hollywood Bowl would be better than nothing, IMO, and Brian wouldn't even have to travel.  And it'd be fun to bring out those extended Wilson-Love-Jardine 2nd/3rd generation kids to do a few songs, too.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2021, 01:22:29 PM »

Emdeeh, is it a broadband issue where you live?  If not, keep in mind that a lot of the streaming services offer free trials (7 days is typical).  If and when a BB special ends up on a streaming service, why not time a free trial to coincide with the show?

And also, while there is a lot of garbage on streaming services, there is also a ton of great stuff as well, a lot of it exclusive.

I'm hold my physical media as dear as anybody, but limiting oneself to only video released on physical media in 2021 is the equivalent of only buying music in 2001 released on vinyl or cassette.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2021, 02:19:32 PM »

We're not fans of streaming, because the additional price isn't worth the small amount of time we spend watching (and each service adds up quickly). I have Prime -- I hardly watch that one and hubby doesn't watch it at all. Netflix and CBS are pretty good at releasing their product on disc in a reasonable timeframe, Disney not so much.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 02:21:23 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2021, 03:16:51 PM »

About 10-12 years ago I suggested a get together (filmed) at Als studio, and given Brian’s health I think even more so today. A small stage and in the style of those few songs they did for Rolling Stone. Show some rehearsals and reminiscing with some family and friends. Kind of an updated ‘campfire’ deal. Just the thought of a song title from a FFs boxset being tossed around and Brian getting enthusiastic (hopefully) and having the group to sing a few lines would be sooo much better than another by the numbers 2012 gig.
Personally I’d be sitting out any tour. Literally too dangerous given Covid and taxing considering their ages.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2021, 08:05:36 AM »

I'd love for them to think outside the box and do their 60th anniversary spectacle as a mockumentary leading up to their big 60th anniversary major network tv special that they miraculously got, and they figure out how to totally send up their entire backstory as bickering senior citizens trying to come together for one last splash

....and then actually do a flawlessly produced 60th anniversary tv special
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2021, 04:32:31 PM »

I like Pretty Funky's idea about a small show at A's Red Barn, with Family and Friends in attendance, including key former bandmates like Billy Hinshe, Ed Carter, and Mike Kowalski, and Carl and Dennis' family too. If that's not a big enough draw for the networks, I'd definitely pay to see that on Pay TV.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2021, 03:57:30 PM »

Regarding touring, there's no way anything approaching a "full length" tour would happen any time soon. Surely not this year.

And by 2022, Mike will be 81, and Brian, Bruce, and Al will be hitting 80.

Also, keep in mind that when/if the touring market actually has a *clear* sign to open back up wide (presumably at some point after vaccines/herd immunity, etc.), then all of a sudden EVERYONE will be touring and a BB reunion tour would have more competition out on the market selling tickets and booking venues.

I said it last year; I don't think, even just concerning Mike's edition of the "Beach Boys", we'll likely ever again see a year with like 175 concert bookings. I think 2021 is going to more of the same as 2020. Mike is so adamant about trying to do live gigs that he'll book as many drive-ins as he can, and as many opened-up venues as is allowed. By the time touring is "back to normal" (relatively speaking), I think even Mike, who even his harshest critics can't deny is pretty healthy and fit for 80 years old, will be slowing down somewhat. He was already slowing down a little bit in the last few years of touring, booking less shows at the beginning/end of the year.

Now, with essentially next to ZERO touring revenue for one going on two years, that income hole may motivate the band to cook up a reunion project of some sort. But I think both artistically and logistically that would have to come in the form of some sort of reunion project that would essentially look like C50 minus the touring component.

A new album could be done with or without the guys in the same room, and they could do sufficient testing and distancing to shoot something for a "TV special" sort of thing.

But I think any "C60" project would be on very shaky ground, more so than C50. Nobody barring Al is in even as good a shape vocally as they were in 2012. They wouldn't have a tour to stretch out and do interesting deeper cuts. So we'd probably end up, as I mentioned before, a 60th special that would be pretty similar to that "Doin' It Again" special from 2012. Essentially a long EPK for a new album.

And, you have to imagine Mike doesn't want to tack on more lyrics to Joe Thomas songs, so that then leaves the prospect of Brian and Mike truly writing *new* songs from scratch. Something interesting could evolve from that I suppose. But it could also be, well, not very good either.

The best window for them to keep a reunion going was to continue C50. To do a few more trots around the globe in 2013/2014/2015, maybe do one final album, and then end it with dignity in like 2015. That didn't happen, and now some members seem *more* cranky and controversial, some are in worse shape to perform.

They should be launching an archive program to put all other bands to shame, and they could then promote *that* with individual and group activities without the pressure of a big "reunion" production.

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2021, 04:02:38 PM »

It is hard to imagine how inspired a new album with or without the guys in the same room could be in these circumstances.
We live in hope, first for everyone's health and comfort, and secondly for any more gifts they may be able to give, no matter how unlikely.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Occasional grilled cheese
Smiley Smile Associate

Quickly Duncan, the strengths!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2021, 06:55:10 AM »

It is hard to imagine how inspired a new album with or without the guys in the same room could be in these circumstances.
We live in hope, first for everyone's health and comfort, and secondly for any more gifts they may be able to give, no matter how unlikely.

I'd imagine each one of them has at least considered over morning toast what a 60th anniversary album would sound like and feel like making. Even though many would agree its happened many times throughout their career, they probably don't want to go lower than the bar set by the previous album. Not saying there isn't still songwriting talent there (at least on Brian's part. I'll take 311's This Too Shall Pass over Mike's any day), but maybe there just isn't the collective confidence to come to a functional agreement and make a better swan song than they already did. I'd love to be proven otherwise.

Try Q-Z-2-U-H
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2021, 07:33:23 AM »

The only way they've stood a chance in the last few decades of putting together a truly solid album would be with some level of an assist from an outside producer and/or co-writer. It's why a BB album of that Paley material would have been solid, especially with Don Was helming it.

Similarly, Joe Thomas essentially served this function in 2012, not only serving as the functional glue holding the project together logistically and financially, but also serving as defacto co-producer (even if he was only given that weird "Recorded by" credit on the album), and co-writing a bunch of the songs.

The best chance for a decent "60th" reunion album would probably be to use all the Brian/Joe tracks left off of the TWGMTR album. But given Mike's post-C50 feelings regarding this set up and Thomas in general, that doesn't seem likely. I dunno, maybe Mike would still enter into an album project where Brian gets "half" of the album, and if Brian wanted to mine his stuff with Joe, that would be "Brian's half."

But "This Too Shall Pass" levels of writing (and production) aren't going to cut it.

I think most of us would be happy with an album with some Brian/Joe stuff along the lines of TWGMTR, and then yeah, placate Mike and get him in "the room" with Brian for some songs.

I don't think all of this is particularly likely to happen, although current continued isolation makes it a bit more likely since they all have a ton of time on their hands and no revenue coming in.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 07:34:52 AM by HeyJude » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2021, 08:42:20 AM »

Well, McCartney did a pretty fine job recording on his own while in isolation.  Smiley

But as I said earlier in this discussion, as far as a tour, I could care less. And as far as a true collaboration, I just have visions of Mike bringing in nostalgia-soaked lyrics chock full of lines like "remember when we had fun fun fun", "still feelin' the good vibrations", etc. The whole let's-look-back-on-the-old-days trip. I don't know what kind of market they'd find with that kind of deal, and again it's all hypothetical but at this point entirely possible. Or some half-assed remake featuring the singer from Smash Mouth, Stamos, McGrath, and a rap verse from Vanilla Ice.

How about just writing a solid song and leave the nostalgia behind? I digress.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx