gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:12:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is there a reason why 'Still Cruisin' is not on Spotify ....or anywhere  (Read 7211 times)
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2021, 12:12:27 PM »

What struck me when I was compiling the tracklist above was that there were about 1/2 a dozen "duets" as well as about 1/2 a dozen "soundtrack" songs. As someone recently pointed out, Terry Melcher seemed to be able to get these BB songs into movies and it must have had some payoff (even setting aside Kokomo, which is obvious).

Hope I haven't misquoted someone too badly.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2021, 12:51:07 PM »

In all seriousness, that's a great idea for a release. I wrote in the 'new 1985 footage' thread that the Beach Boys need to do a re-release of BB85 due to the recent 80s nostalgia kick that has been going on. But a "Best of the 80s" album would sell so much better, and make more sense. I know it'll never happen, but it sure would be nice.

A best of the 80's comp seems like it would be very easy to market to a casual audience, but perhaps difficult to agreeably curate. I'd venture to say that 80's nostalgia is here to stay, albeit at maybe less of a height than it was a few years ago. A Made In USA meets Outrun kind of aesthetic (no pun intended) would make a fitting cover design I think.

I remember seeing about a themed Monkees comp coming out a few years ago that portrayed them as more of a psychedelic band. Anyone know how successful this was at attracting a curious crossover audience. Seems like it'd be a similar campaign for an 80's Beach Boys summary.
The Monkees album was titled Summer of Love. I thought it was a great idea, but the actual album didn't follow through 100%. They included songs from the first two albums which weren't psycadelic at all. I imagined a comp focused on PACJLTD, Headquarters, Head, and BB&M.
Us hardcore BB fans probably wouldn't care for an 80's comp that included Come Go With Me (recorded in the 70's) and The Beach Boys Medley, but I suppose the record labels would want to include anything resembling a hit from that era. I would be okay with that as long as they also dug up some rarities like Chasin' the Sky. How about Barbie (Living Doll)? I know it was all Brian, but it was released under the Beach Boys name.
Occasional grilled cheese
Smiley Smile Associate

Quickly Duncan, the strengths!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2021, 01:23:56 PM »

In all seriousness, that's a great idea for a release. I wrote in the 'new 1985 footage' thread that the Beach Boys need to do a re-release of BB85 due to the recent 80s nostalgia kick that has been going on. But a "Best of the 80s" album would sell so much better, and make more sense. I know it'll never happen, but it sure would be nice.

A best of the 80's comp seems like it would be very easy to market to a casual audience, but perhaps difficult to agreeably curate. I'd venture to say that 80's nostalgia is here to stay, albeit at maybe less of a height than it was a few years ago. A Made In USA meets Outrun kind of aesthetic (no pun intended) would make a fitting cover design I think.

I remember seeing about a themed Monkees comp coming out a few years ago that portrayed them as more of a psychedelic band. Anyone know how successful this was at attracting a curious crossover audience. Seems like it'd be a similar campaign for an 80's Beach Boys summary.
The Monkees album was titled Summer of Love. I thought it was a great idea, but the actual album didn't follow through 100%. They included songs from the first two albums which weren't psycadelic at all. I imagined a comp focused on PACJLTD, Headquarters, Head, and BB&M.
Us hardcore BB fans probably wouldn't care for an 80's comp that included Come Go With Me (recorded in the 70's) and The Beach Boys Medley, but I suppose the record labels would want to include anything resembling a hit from that era. I would be okay with that as long as they also dug up some rarities like Chasin' the Sky. How about Barbie (Living Doll)? I know it was all Brian, but it was released under the Beach Boys name.

I'll agree that Come Go With Me would be a bit of a stretch on this collection. Yeah it was a hit in the 80s but it'd make me shake my head in a similar fashion to when I see bars use Oregon Trail imagery to promote 90's nights. That being said, including Living Doll and/or Chasin' The Sky would make the difference for me between buy and pass.

Side note: Living Doll b/w Barbie seems like rather low hanging fruit for the RSD release no one asked for.

Try Q-Z-2-U-H
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2021, 07:30:38 PM »

I'll agree that Come Go With Me would be a bit of a stretch on this collection. Yeah it was a hit in the 80s but it'd make me shake my head in a similar fashion to when I see bars use Oregon Trail imagery to promote 90's nights. That being said, including Living Doll and/or Chasin' The Sky would make the difference for me between buy and pass.

Side note: Living Doll b/w Barbie seems like rather low hanging fruit for the RSD release no one asked for.
It's not much of a song, but still, it's Brian, I'd like to have it on vinyl.
At the time of release, a friend said "I'm gonna have to buy a Barbie doll", lol. "Well, maybe I can give it to my niece".
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2021, 07:05:17 AM »

I'm guessing it's more complex a situation with rights, due to different movie soundtracks being involved? Plus probably a general lack of interest for it being out there. Parts of the album are definitely a guilty pleasure for me.

If general lack of interest were a good enough reason not to take 30 seconds to upload the tracks to Spotify's servers, there'd be only a handful of albums there.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2021, 07:06:20 AM »

I'm guessing it's more complex a situation with rights, due to different movie soundtracks being involved? Plus probably a general lack of interest for it being out there. Parts of the album are definitely a guilty pleasure for me.

If general lack of interest were a good enough reason not to take 30 seconds to upload the tracks to Spotify's servers, there'd be only a handful of albums there.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2021, 07:07:20 AM »

bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2021, 07:33:55 AM »

This might be one of the main reasons it hasn't been part of even a low effort digital rerelease. I mean, the repeated tracks on Little Deuce Coupe kind of contradict this line of thinking, but maybe they're between a rock and a hard place with presenting an album that is authentic vs. complete and cohesive. Those last three tracks could be swapped for Rock and Roll to the Rescue, California Dreamin, and Problem Child or others, but rights issues aside it just wouldn't really be the Still Cruisin' album anymore.

I have maybe 2 people in my life who care about an album being cohesive. I haven't thought that way at all since the early 2000's. If that's the reason, it's lame.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx