gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:57:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is there a reason why 'Still Cruisin' is not on Spotify ....or anywhere  (Read 7207 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2021, 06:14:34 PM »

Thread title speaks for itself.

Anyone have a clue?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 06:21:06 PM »

Thread title speaks for itself.

Anyone have a clue?

I'm guessing it's more complex a situation with rights, due to different movie soundtracks being involved? Plus probably a general lack of interest for it being out there. Parts of the album are definitely a guilty pleasure for me.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 12:07:45 AM »

I'd guess that nobody cares enough to make it available; same with Summer in Paradise perhaps? Still Cruisin' has Kokomo but that's available on several hit compilations and only the most hardcore fans care about stuff like Somewhere Near Japan (good song) let alone Island Girl (guilty pleasure at best). Wasn't Still Cruisin' (the song) a minor hit though?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 05:05:25 AM »

I'd guess that nobody cares enough to make it available; same with Summer in Paradise perhaps? Still Cruisin' has Kokomo but that's available on several hit compilations and only the most hardcore fans care about stuff like Somewhere Near Japan (good song) let alone Island Girl (guilty pleasure at best). Wasn't Still Cruisin' (the song) a minor hit though?

Yeah, I used to hear "Still Cruisin'" (the song) piped in at placed like Walgreens, so I've always considered it a minor hit.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 06:51:06 AM »

Yeah, I used to hear "Still Cruisin'" (the song) piped in at placed like Walgreens, so I've always considered it a minor hit.

Surprisingly it was top 10 on the A/C chart. I sure never heard it back in the day.

Made Top 30 in Australia too. I need to ask some of the Aussies around here if they know it.

I've recently realized that, despite its ridiculous Paul Simon allusion, the song kinda isn't awful. It's got a reasonable amount of grit and some nice guitar playing.
gregcoffeymusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 08:08:49 AM »

Or what about "Make It Big"? Awesome song!!
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 08:12:57 AM »

In my car is an absolute tune as well. Would have liked to have that available
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 09:46:05 AM »

Agreed...I have a serious obsession with In My Car.
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 11:01:39 PM »

Still Crusin’ got a good amount of airplay in Australia at the time. I remember seeing the video a bunch.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 11:03:29 PM by debonbon » Logged

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 11:25:13 AM »

Actually really enjoy this album, but the combination of 1987-1989 songs with 3 tracks from the 60s just never worked for me.

IMO it's a better experience to combine the 80s stuff with other similar era tracks like California Dreamin', Problem Child, and the often ignored Chasing The Sky (great Carl vocal, and really decent song) to create a more coherent "album". I think I'll go make a Playlist right now!
Occasional grilled cheese
Smiley Smile Associate

Quickly Duncan, the strengths!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 11:34:26 AM »

Actually really enjoy this album, but the combination of 1987-1989 songs with 3 tracks from the 60s just never worked for me.

IMO it's a better experience to combine the 80s stuff with other similar era tracks like California Dreamin', Problem Child, and the often ignored Chasing The Sky (great Carl vocal, and really decent song) to create a more coherent "album". I think I'll go make a Playlist right now!

This might be one of the main reasons it hasn't been part of even a low effort digital rerelease. I mean, the repeated tracks on Little Deuce Coupe kind of contradict this line of thinking, but maybe they're between a rock and a hard place with presenting an album that is authentic vs. complete and cohesive. Those last three tracks could be swapped for Rock and Roll to the Rescue, California Dreamin, and Problem Child or others, but rights issues aside it just wouldn't really be the Still Cruisin' album anymore.

Try Q-Z-2-U-H
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 01:31:04 PM »

Absolutely agree, it's no longer the album.

Your comment reminded me though of the Beatles Yellow Submarine album, which originally had the orchestrations as filler, but was reissued at some stage with stray singles/b-sides. It was no longer the album, but it was a better listening experience.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 01:44:11 PM »

Absolutely agree, it's no longer the album.

Your comment reminded me though of the Beatles Yellow Submarine album, which originally had the orchestrations as filler, but was reissued at some stage with stray singles/b-sides. It was no longer the album, but it was a better listening experience.

The "songtrack" version was probably an excellent purchase and listen for alot of people who saw the film or were looking for a greatest hits in 1999 but it never seemed like a necessary purchase with the main discography in hand.

In general I have a problem with reissues changing the core tracklist while retaining the same title and artwork. Just call it a compilation with a fresh title. For a more recent example, I'm a big fan of 90's shoegazers Lilys but am disappointedly skipping the forthcoming reissue of their second record due to bonus tracks at the expense of the original program.

Speaking of what's in a name, I wonder if anyone's ever ordered a stock-photo listed copy of BB85 only to find that 20/20 looking Pickwick comp in their mailbox. Entirely different circumstances I know, but the point is album titles create expectations.

Try Q-Z-2-U-H
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2021, 02:04:50 PM »

While it doesn't help to explain why it currently is out of print and not even available to stream, to understand the context of this album it helps to read interviews with the guys (mainly Mike) from that era.

It appears that the original idea for the album was for it to be entirely BB songs that had been featured in movies. It was intended to be essentially a re-package/compilation with a "movie" theme.

While from the fan perspective it was usually felt that the reissued/hits/oldies were what watered down the album, an interview with Mike discussing the album indicates that he felt the "non-movie" songs were what watered the album down, and that it was all inter-band politics that led to other members getting tracks (and "non-movie" tracks at that) like Brian's "In My Car" and Al's "Island Girl." Mike of course contradicted his own reasoning here by contributing his own "non-movie" song, "Somewhere Near Japan."

The band, particularly Mike, also seemed annoyed that Capitol didn't push "Somewhere Near Japan" harder as a single, feeling it got lost in label politics in terms of what they chose to push to radio and promote. While "SNJ" was undoubtedly a highlight of the album, I don't think it would have scored the band a big hit under any circumstance.

Ultimately, despite the album going gold (due surely to it being the first BB album to feature "Kokomo"), the Capitol album deal was a one-and-done, and within a few years they were having to bankroll "Summer In Paradise" themselves.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2021, 10:39:41 PM »

Instead of calling it Still Cruisin', how about Best of the Beach Boys - 80's playlist? They could take the new songs from the album, plus Kokomo, and surround  them with other 80's recordings - Getcha Back, California Dreaming, Rock 'N' Roll to the Rescue, Where I Belong, It's Gettin' Late, Keepin' the Summer Alive, Goin' On. If they really want to stretch it, Come Go with Me and The Beach Boys Medley were hits in that decade.
I would buy a comp like that. Get Mike and Brian to contribute some recollections of the individual songs.
Mike: Kokomo was our first number one in 22 years, a worldwide hit that outsold Good Vibrations, Help Me Rhonda, I Get Around. It was our biggest hit ever, and I wrote it, with a little help from our producer Terry Melcher, Papa John Phillips, and Scott "San Francisco" Mackenzie. Of course, it didn't hurt that it was in a Tom Cruise movie where he nails the Adventures in Babysitting girl, Elisabeth Shue. Just being in the presence of such a fabulous babe would have me wanting to unleash the love.
Brian: Goin' On is a song I wrote with Mike. That song has merit.
Mike: Rock 'N' Roll to the Rescue is another one I wrote with Terry Melcher (he used to produce Paul Revere and the Raiders - Good Thing, baby, yeah! - and The Byrds - to everything Turn, Turn, Turn. Terry decided that my cousin Brian should sing this one. Brian was being treated at the time by Dr. Eugene Landy. It's a drag Brian burned out his brain on drugs - both he and Dennis had major substance abuse issues. I never did; I preferred to meditate instead of medicate. Dr. Landy wanted co-writing credit on this song, and I humbly told him to stick that where the sun don't shine.
Brian: In My Car. That's a cool song. That song has merit.
Mike: Getcha Back. That was the first song I wrote with Terry. We wanted it to sound like Hungry Heart, but Steve Levine's production took all the balls out of it. My cousin Brian impressed us all with his falsetto singing on this track - the best vocal performance he'd recorded since he messed up his mind and body with hard drugs. Did I mention that I meditate every day?
Brian: Keepin' the Summer Alive. Cool song.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2021, 05:37:52 AM »

Instead of calling it Still Cruisin', how about Best of the Beach Boys - 80's playlist? They could take the new songs from the album, plus Kokomo, and surround  them with other 80's recordings - Getcha Back, California Dreaming, Rock 'N' Roll to the Rescue, Where I Belong, It's Gettin' Late, Keepin' the Summer Alive, Goin' On. If they really want to stretch it, Come Go with Me and The Beach Boys Medley were hits in that decade.
I would buy a comp like that. Get Mike and Brian to contribute some recollections of the individual songs.
Mike: Kokomo was our first number one in 22 years, a worldwide hit that outsold Good Vibrations, Help Me Rhonda, I Get Around. It was our biggest hit ever, and I wrote it, with a little help from our producer Terry Melcher, Papa John Phillips, and Scott "San Francisco" Mackenzie. Of course, it didn't hurt that it was in a Tom Cruise movie where he nails the Adventures in Babysitting girl, Elisabeth Shue. Just being in the presence of such a fabulous babe would have me wanting to unleash the love.
Mike: Rock 'N' Roll to the Rescue is another one I wrote with Terry Melcher (he used to produce Paul Revere and the Raiders - Good Thing, baby, yeah! - and The Byrds - to everything Turn, Turn, Turn. Terry decided that my cousin Brian should sing this one. Brian was being treated at the time by Dr. Eugene Landy. It's a drag Brian burned out his brain on drugs - both he and Dennis had major substance abuse issues. I never did; I preferred to meditate instead of medicate. Dr. Landy wanted co-writing credit on this song, and I humbly told him to stick that where the sun don't shine.
Mike: Getcha Back. That was the first song I wrote with Terry. We wanted it to sound like Hungry Heart, but Steve Levine's production took all the balls out of it. My cousin Brian impressed us all with his falsetto singing on this track - the best vocal performance he'd recorded since he messed up his mind and body with hard drugs. Did I mention that I meditate every day?

Brevity is the soul of wit.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2021, 07:36:15 AM »

Mike Love to the T!
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2021, 01:04:01 PM »

I knew as soon as I mentioned swapping in other 80s songs we were headed down this path.

It was probably inevitable anyway, given Kokomo was on the Still Cruisin' album.

As to brevity being the soul of wit, sometimes it is.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 01:04:59 PM by thetojo » Logged
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2021, 02:11:16 AM »

Just thought I'd bump this with track listing for a proposed home compilation/Playlist.

My thoughts:

1. Chasin' The Sky
2. Runaway live 1982 from the Sunkist LP
3. East Meets West with the Four Seasons
4. Happy Birthday America
5. Happy Endings with Little Richard
6. Lady Liberty
7. Rock 'n' Roll To The Rescue
8. California Dreamin'
9. Still Cruisin'
10. Somewhere Near Japan
11. Island Girl
12. In My Car
13. Kokomo
14. Make It Big
15. Wipe Out with the Fat Boys
16. Problem Child
17. Crocodile Rock
18. The Spirit of Rock and Roll (Brian's original 1986 version) - bonus track

Possible additions/bonus tracks/substitutes
There are official released alternate edits etc for a few of these - Somewhere Near Japan, Make It Big, Wipe Out, Rock 'n' Roll to the Rescue, California Dreamin' + the Spanish Kokomo with Brian appearing. There is the Bob Dylan version of Spirit if you prefer that.

I think from these 18 official release (except Spirit, although there is a later official release of that song) songs most people could come up with a pretty pleasing 12 track 80s/early 90s playlist without touching any of the 1985 album tracks.

I can tell you the first track I'd be dropping, but I reckon you could guess.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2021, 02:15:03 AM »

Forgot to say - I think the best version of Spirit is the one from 12 Dec 1986 Hawaii, but the version from the DVD has too much audience noise - a soundboard recording might be better. The Beach Boys backing vocals improve the song imho.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2021, 06:51:11 PM »

Just thought I'd bump this with track listing for a proposed home compilation/Playlist.

My thoughts:

1. Chasin' The Sky
2. Runaway live 1982 from the Sunkist LP
3. East Meets West with the Four Seasons
4. Happy Birthday America
5. Happy Endings with Little Richard
6. Lady Liberty
7. Rock 'n' Roll To The Rescue
8. California Dreamin'
9. Still Cruisin'
10. Somewhere Near Japan
11. Island Girl
12. In My Car
13. Kokomo
14. Make It Big
15. Wipe Out with the Fat Boys
16. Problem Child
17. Crocodile Rock
18. The Spirit of Rock and Roll (Brian's original 1986 version) - bonus track

Possible additions/bonus tracks/substitutes
There are official released alternate edits etc for a few of these - Somewhere Near Japan, Make It Big, Wipe Out, Rock 'n' Roll to the Rescue, California Dreamin' + the Spanish Kokomo with Brian appearing. There is the Bob Dylan version of Spirit if you prefer that.

I think from these 18 official release (except Spirit, although there is a later official release of that song) songs most people could come up with a pretty pleasing 12 track 80s/early 90s playlist without touching any of the 1985 album tracks.

I can tell you the first track I'd be dropping, but I reckon you could guess.
Yeah, I could take a guess, but I think I'd Wipe Out on that.
James Hughes-Clarke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2021, 05:04:42 AM »

Me too - great song!  Marred only by ludicrous 80s drum sound.

Hypnotise me into thinking I'm not insane
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2021, 12:05:05 PM »

Me too - great song!  Marred only by ludicrous 80s drum sound.
I liked the solo version he sang on the tv show
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2021, 04:31:09 AM »

LOL

In all seriousness, that's a great idea for a release. I wrote in the 'new 1985 footage' thread that the Beach Boys need to do a re-release of BB85 due to the recent 80s nostalgia kick that has been going on. But a "Best of the 80s" album would sell so much better, and make more sense. I know it'll never happen, but it sure would be nice.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2021, 06:33:33 AM »

In all seriousness, that's a great idea for a release. I wrote in the 'new 1985 footage' thread that the Beach Boys need to do a re-release of BB85 due to the recent 80s nostalgia kick that has been going on. But a "Best of the 80s" album would sell so much better, and make more sense. I know it'll never happen, but it sure would be nice.

A best of the 80's comp seems like it would be very easy to market to a casual audience, but perhaps difficult to agreeably curate. I'd venture to say that 80's nostalgia is here to stay, albeit at maybe less of a height than it was a few years ago. A Made In USA meets Outrun kind of aesthetic (no pun intended) would make a fitting cover design I think.

I remember seeing about a themed Monkees comp coming out a few years ago that portrayed them as more of a psychedelic band. Anyone know how successful this was at attracting a curious crossover audience. Seems like it'd be a similar campaign for an 80's Beach Boys summary.

Try Q-Z-2-U-H
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx