gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:00:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's buddy Trump gives BBs collaborator Toby Keith National Medal of the Arts  (Read 7684 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2021, 04:19:48 PM »

At the very moment Trump was getting impeached for the record-setting 2nd time, Trump turned a blind eye to pesky talk of insurrection, and held a very, very important closed door event... to award BBs collaborator Toby Keith with this prestigious honor.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2021/jan/13/trump-awards-medals-singers-toby-keith-and-ricky-s/

I can't imagine a scenario where Mike isn't annoyed that it wasn't *him* receiving this award over Toby - after all of the Trump brownnosing that Mike has done with this transactional, twice-impeached president.

But there's still another week though, so maybe Mike is next in line. I think Mike is legit going to feel pretty cheated if his buddy leaves him hanging. Does anyone disagree? I am totally serious in thinking this.
I mean Mike's been in the music business twice as long as Keith, and has brownnosed at least 2.5 times as hard.

- 2017 inauguration-adjacent show
- 2018 White House press conference with Kid Rock, etc.
- 2020 Trump Jr.-related trophy hunting gig
- 2020 Trump fundraiser show in the middle of a pandemic
- 2021 NYE Mar-a-Lago show in the middle of a pandemic
+ probably more stuff I'm overlooking.

That unwavering loyalty has got to count for *something*.

And it makes Mike's unthinkably bad choice to proceed with even the indefensible trophy hunting gig make all the more sense in hindsight. There is *no way* Mike hasn't been purposefully angling for an award like this, gaining "own the libs" points with multiple generations of Trump family members.  Of course Mike has all along known that Trump is transactional, and of course an award has been on his radar.

If Trump somehow leaves Mike hanging, Mike is most *definitely* going to have to speak to the manager.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 05:19:02 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 04:52:38 PM »

Can BRI impeach Mike Love?  Shrug

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 08:34:29 PM »

Mike’s hanging out for the big one. A full pardon for ‘Summer In Paradise’.  Grin
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 01:30:44 AM »

Toby Keith is terrible so who cares but disappointed to see Ricky Skaggs there too.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 01:53:28 AM »

Toby Keith is terrible so who cares but disappointed to see Ricky Skaggs there too.

Toby Keith to me is the definition of what is wrong with Country Music and has been for decades. Obviously he is not to blame for being part of the industry and he possibly is a nice person. But I can't stand people f*cking with Country Music. Probably one of the greatest music styles ever. And Toby Keith is a wannabe Waylon Jennings - and very bad at that.

And although I probably will regret posting this, but since it came up in the thread title and I just saw it in the last days, here is something from the igotaround.com site which is done by former Beach Boys band members.

http://www.igotaround.com/

from 2016:

Fact Check! Not a Beach Boys Concert! Delusional Donald's Annual Bamboozling of The Beach Boys!

This article was published last month. I was there in '96 and I call BULLSHIT! Read it then see why below.

http://www.igotaround.com/blog/

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 11:33:52 AM »

Toby Keith to me is the definition of what is wrong with Country Music and has been for decades. Obviously he is not to blame for being part of the industry and he possibly is a nice person. But I can't stand people f*cking with Country Music. Probably one of the greatest music styles ever. And Toby Keith is a wannabe Waylon Jennings - and very bad at that.

I will agree that there has been a lot wrong with country in the last couple decades and hate seeing people mess with it, but Toby Keith is not too bad in my opinion. There are plenty of artists cranking out worse music than him that they claim to be “country”, especially but not limited to Luke Bryan, Dan and Shay, etc.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 04:32:24 PM »

Only 36 hours to go, Mike is surely prepping his phone call to the manager about what may soon be a grave injustice
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 08:18:46 PM »

Only 36 hours to go, Mike is surely prepping his phone call to the manager about what may soon be a grave injustice

The real question is which was the bigger injustice...not having credits on a bunch of songs until the ‘90’s, or not getting the award?
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 09:06:43 PM »

The real question is which was the bigger injustice...not having credits on a bunch of songs until the ‘90’s, or not getting the award?
Poor pitiful Mike Love.  Roll Eyes Thud Transcendental Meditation Whatever!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2021, 07:51:59 AM »

Kind of surprised Mike Love wasn't given a full presidential pardon for being an all-around terrible human through most of his life. I guess since the president also is one it just wouldn't have that good a ring to it 3D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 07:52:55 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2021, 03:55:14 PM »

Cabinessenceking- don’t be so hard on Biden, he’s just getting started!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 05:37:24 PM »

At the very moment Trump was getting impeached for the record-setting 2nd time, Trump turned a blind eye to pesky talk of insurrection, and held a very, very important closed door event... to award BBs collaborator Toby Keith with this prestigious honor.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2021/jan/13/trump-awards-medals-singers-toby-keith-and-ricky-s/

I can't imagine a scenario where Mike isn't annoyed that it wasn't *him* receiving this award over Toby - after all of the Trump brownnosing that Mike has done with this transactional, twice-impeached president.

But there's still another week though, so maybe Mike is next in line. I think Mike is legit going to feel pretty cheated if his buddy leaves him hanging. Does anyone disagree? I am totally serious in thinking this.
I mean Mike's been in the music business twice as long as Keith, and has brownnosed at least 2.5 times as hard.

And it makes Mike's unthinkably bad choice to proceed with even the indefensible trophy hunting gig make all the more sense in hindsight. There is *no way* Mike hasn't been purposefully angling for an award like this, gaining "own the libs" points with multiple generations of Trump family members.  Of course Mike has all along known that Trump is transactional, and of course an award has been on his radar.

If Trump somehow leaves Mike hanging, Mike is most *definitely* going to have to speak to the manager.

You really have an unhealthy fixation on these two guys (Love & Trump), Century.  There's more to life than obsessing endlessly in fury over two people you don't even know personally.   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 05:47:13 PM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 06:29:44 PM »

You really have an unhealthy fixation on these two guys (Love & Trump), Century.  There's more to life than obsessing endlessly in fury over two people you don't even know personally.   Roll Eyes

While my post was undoubtedly drenched in sarcasm, I will say that I was legitimately, truthfully expecting Mike to get an honor from Trump, and I am quite surprised it didn't happen. I'm completely serious. And I'd be surprised if Mike wasn't pissed about it. Find me another musician, let alone one from an extraordinarily legendary band, who did as many public Trump shows/fundraiser/etc. over the last few years other than Mike. Let alone somebody who is 80 years old.

Point taken, but my fascinatinon with Mike's unrelenting associations with Trump is informed by how it disturbs me, which is because the music that Mike helped create means a heck of a lot to me. Too much, probably. I legitimately hope Mike's association with Trump hasn't tarnished the brand name beyond repair. It's certain that such tarnishment has in fact already occurred with plenty of fans. There will be plenty of people who will never listen to the band or take them seriously because of that connection. It's very unfortunate. You can say "well that's their loss", or any such derivative, but that damage has been done and can't be undone. And it really pisses me off to see my favorite band being dragged through the mud because of this garbage.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 06:37:02 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2021, 05:52:17 AM »

Donnie screwed Mike? Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2021, 06:14:41 AM »

This is Mike's manifesto! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljsGG3sbEL0

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2021, 09:13:59 AM »

While my post was undoubtedly drenched in sarcasm, I will say that I was legitimately, truthfully expecting Mike to get an honor from Trump, and I am quite surprised it didn't happen. I'm completely serious. And I'd be surprised if Mike wasn't pissed about it. Find me another musician, let alone one from an extraordinarily legendary band, who did as many public Trump shows/fundraiser/etc. over the last few years other than Mike. Let alone somebody who is 80 years old.

In all honesty I don't think Trump and Love are really all that close with each other, even if they happen to be a lot alike and even if Love's band has performed at Trump's rallies.  Mike has historically supported Republican candidates and this is no different.  Perhaps he was indeed pining for some kind of award or recognition from Trump but at the end of the day, does it really even matter?   Shrug

Point taken, but my fascinatinon with Mike's unrelenting associations with Trump is informed by how it disturbs me, which is because the music that Mike helped create means a heck of a lot to me. Too much, probably. I legitimately hope Mike's association with Trump hasn't tarnished the brand name beyond repair. It's certain that such tarnishment has in fact already occurred with plenty of fans. There will be plenty of people who will never listen to the band or take them seriously because of that connection. It's very unfortunate. You can say "well that's their loss", or any such derivative, but that damage has been done and can't be undone. And it really pisses me off to see my favorite band being dragged through the mud because of this garbage.

As I've debated with you before on this, while I would agree somewhat that Mike certainly has said and done things that haven't helped the Beach Boys' overall reputation, I don't think he's really tarnished it either.  At least not nearly as much as some folks would like to believe.  The band is still generally well-received and highly regarded as innovators by both fans and critics alike.  I really believe the only people that actually take too much notice of Love's theatrics are the die-hards like us who obsess endlessly over everything the band does.  I'm highly skeptical that the general public of today is paying too much attention to the antics of a near-80 year old of a 60-year-old band.  And I'd find it laughably silly if anyone stopped listening to the band as a whole over anything Love does today. 

The whole "cancel culture" thing has grown to be hopelessly stupid anyway.  Obviously most of us would understandably rather distance ourselves from people who are objectively hateful (nazi's, white supremacists, etc.), but none of the admittedly stupid things Love has said and done come anywhere close to that.   If folks are so thin-skinned that they must disassociate with anything outside their own echo chamber, that's their intolerance.  Mike's relationship with Trump may very well be a liability for him especially after what happened in D.C. a few weeks ago, but I don't see it at all as a "death sentence" for the Beach Boys as a whole.  Mike's been polarizing from the start; this is nothing new.  If the recently deceased Phil Spector has taught us anything, it's that sometimes you have to separate the artist from the art. 

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2021, 09:16:00 AM »

Hey SB, I was just reading your byline. In a very short amount of time he'll be an 80 year old JACKASS singing about banging some chick next to the pool!!  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Old Man

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2021, 10:20:19 AM »

What Mike seems to share with Trump is a total inability (at least at this point) to let go of a grudge. Where they differ is that Mike came from a mid/low-mid class upbringing, whereas Trump was a one-percenter from the start and was encouraged to be a bull in the china shop since he was in swaddling clothes. But remember that Mike's psyche is best defined in his key statement about the true attraction of the Maharishi's teachings for him: "You don't have to give up your Rolls Royce to achieve deep spiritual awareness." So Mike was predisposed to gravitate to the position that Trump takes for granted and demands from every interaction that he has with anyone--that he be able to have his cake and eat it too.

Mike, of course, has the specter of Brian to overcome, but suing him and borderline slandering him, etc., hasn't quite gotten him the respect and admiration to which he thinks he's entitled, despite the best efforts of some of the jackasses over at "the nearest faraway place." So a guy with a permanent chip on his shoulder who can bamboozle people even as his business ventures go haywire and can defy reason by becoming POTUS is clearly going to appeal to an elderly guy who knows deep down that all of his struggles barely won any battles, much less the war. It's a perverse way for him to reclaim his purported "positivity."

But perhaps President Biden can do the bipartisan thing and give the Beach Boys a Medal of Honor. Then Brian and Mike and Al and David and Bruce can share in a meaningful salute to their "long promised road"--and remember to honor their dearly departed bandmates at the ceremony. (Of course, by no means should Mike be allowed to make ANY remarks at that ceremony!!)  Evil
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2021, 10:23:41 AM »

Without getting into the actual politics or ideology involved, I think there was some damage done or perceived that would be done to the "brand" and the impression of that brand and legacy due to Mike's actions and associations with politically-charged events. Otherwise, Brian and Al would not have issued public statements distancing themselves from Mike's activity. In the case where you have a band making a group decision to publicly support a cause or play a charged event, the band can vote as a democracy and say yes or no as a group. In the case of Mike and the Beach Boys license, the other voting members of the corporation which owns and licenses that name and brand had no say in the matter, and as founding Beach Boys Brian and Al got dragged into a political shitstorm on multiple occasions without having a vote, or in some of these cases not even being made aware of what Mike was doing until it hit the press. That's not just sloppy, it's disrespectful. And again if it were no big deal, "oh, that's just Mike doing his thing again", there would not have been public statements made distancing the real Beach Boys from what Mike was doing with the name. If Mike wants to act as the representative of that name and legacy, his actions will be representative of that name for a majority of the general public especially when he's doing events using that name. Was it mere coincidence that he played that most recent political event without the usual "Beach Boys" billing?

As I've said before, when it comes to bands being political, it's often best to just play the middle of the road and not get involved in the battling ideologies of politics. Some bands are known for their politics, but those bands also are not embroiled in the kind of naming rights issues and member splits as the Beach Boys, nor do many have the legacy of success on their resume. I just don't understand why you'd risk offending half your audience by attaching the band name to such divisive events unless your band is known as a politically-charged band (and brand).

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2021, 11:55:11 AM »

As I've debated with you before on this, while I would agree somewhat that Mike certainly has said and done things that haven't helped the Beach Boys' overall reputation, I don't think he's really tarnished it either.  At least not nearly as much as some folks would like to believe.  The band is still generally well-received and highly regarded as innovators by both fans and critics alike.  I really believe the only people that actually take too much notice of Love's theatrics are the die-hards like us who obsess endlessly over everything the band does.  I'm highly skeptical that the general public of today is paying too much attention to the antics of a near-80 year old of a 60-year-old band.  And I'd find it laughably silly if anyone stopped listening to the band as a whole over anything Love does today.  

The whole "cancel culture" thing has grown to be hopelessly stupid anyway.  Obviously most of us would understandably rather distance ourselves from people who are objectively hateful (nazi's, white supremacists, etc.), but none of the admittedly stupid things Love has said and done come anywhere close to that.   If folks are so thin-skinned that they must disassociate with anything outside their own echo chamber, that's their intolerance.  Mike's relationship with Trump may very well be a liability for him especially after what happened in D.C. a few weeks ago, but I don't see it at all as a "death sentence" for the Beach Boys as a whole.  Mike's been polarizing from the start; this is nothing new.  If the recently deceased Phil Spector has taught us anything, it's that sometimes you have to separate the artist from the art.  

The reason why I feel the Trump association is damaging (more so than you feel) is the sheer quantity of times the brand keeps REPEATEDLY being associated with Trump (during the time when Trump was a political figure), over and over and over again. Just look at the list I compiled at the start of this thread; there may be even more associations that I'm overlooking.  

It's not just a one-off or even a two-off. It's like Mike reminding the world HE HAS A GIANT HARD ON FOR TRUMP AND WANTS THE BRAND ASSOCIATED WITH TRUMP, MAKE NO MISTAKE.

That's the troubling part. I mean, I'd be troubled with one association, but there are MANY and this has gotten drilled into the heads of many people. I do have some issues with cancel culture, yet I also understand that people don't want to pad the pockets of someone who is/has directly supporting/supported Trump in a big way, nearly as big and high profile a way as *any* entertainer has done over the last 4 years. If Mike wanted to stake a claim to owning the role of someone who would keep being associated with Trump more than any other entertainer (or at least give dbags like Kid Rock and Ted Nugent a run for their money), he's certainly doing all he can to claim that title with a long list. And sadly, the brand too, by association.

No matter how one looks at it, it's deeply unfortunate that plenty of people won't want to touch the brand or at minimum support any future shows with Mike (such as a hypothetical 60th anniversary show) as a result of this. You can say "their loss" all you want, but it's Mike's fault that he unnecessarily brought this on himself. Feel free to minimize that quantity of fans or how much you think their thoughts matter (or don't matter) all you want - it still sucks, and it didn't have to happen. And yes, now the insurrection is associated with Trump. Mike didn't say a peep when Don Jr. sh*t-talked Brian, nor did Mike distance himself from Trump after that terrible fiasco, nor do I expect him to in the future. Don't Back Down.

I'm sure Feel Flows will get stellar reviews once it comes out, but I'll bet you that IF any major publication *omits* mentioning the awful, repeated Trump connection in any at-length writeup, it will be because some behind-the-scenes PR person begged/pleaded/bartered for this to not be mentioned. In other words, I don't think the stink of the Trump connection is leaving the brand anytime soon, and we'll be *lucky* if some smart, proactive PR people can get that connection omitted from FF (or reunion) writeups once the brand gets in the news again for this box set or any hypothetical reunion. Even if gets omitted in some places (it surely won't be omitted from all publications across the board), you can bet your bottom dollar many, many fans won't forget.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 12:24:16 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2021, 03:19:05 AM »

Trump introducing Mikes band as the the Beach Boys at those Bday parties is just so soooooooooooooooo Trump #fakenews  Grin
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 03:19:58 AM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2021, 12:20:19 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'd say we know enough to justifiably feel they are crap.   Both Trump and Love have destroyed whatever positives their respective "brands" once held.  Sad. 
zaval80
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2021, 04:50:04 PM »

LOL. I think a band which had appropriated a song by Charles Manson in the past can survive any association with Donald Trump.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2021, 06:09:18 PM »

[deleted by author]
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 06:27:52 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2021, 09:03:01 PM »

As I've debated with you before on this, while I would agree somewhat that Mike certainly has said and done things that haven't helped the Beach Boys' overall reputation, I don't think he's really tarnished it either.  At least not nearly as much as some folks would like to believe.  The band is still generally well-received and highly regarded as innovators by both fans and critics alike.  I really believe the only people that actually take too much notice of Love's theatrics are the die-hards like us who obsess endlessly over everything the band does.  I'm highly skeptical that the general public of today is paying too much attention to the antics of a near-80 year old of a 60-year-old band.  And I'd find it laughably silly if anyone stopped listening to the band as a whole over anything Love does today.  

The whole "cancel culture" thing has grown to be hopelessly stupid anyway.  Obviously most of us would understandably rather distance ourselves from people who are objectively hateful (nazi's, white supremacists, etc.), but none of the admittedly stupid things Love has said and done come anywhere close to that.   If folks are so thin-skinned that they must disassociate with anything outside their own echo chamber, that's their intolerance.  Mike's relationship with Trump may very well be a liability for him especially after what happened in D.C. a few weeks ago, but I don't see it at all as a "death sentence" for the Beach Boys as a whole.  Mike's been polarizing from the start; this is nothing new.  If the recently deceased Phil Spector has taught us anything, it's that sometimes you have to separate the artist from the art.  

The reason why I feel the Trump association is damaging (more so than you feel) is the sheer quantity of times the brand keeps REPEATEDLY being associated with Trump (during the time when Trump was a political figure), over and over and over again. Just look at the list I compiled at the start of this thread; there may be even more associations that I'm overlooking.  

It's not just a one-off or even a two-off. It's like Mike reminding the world HE HAS A GIANT HARD ON FOR TRUMP AND WANTS THE BRAND ASSOCIATED WITH TRUMP, MAKE NO MISTAKE.

That's the troubling part. I mean, I'd be troubled with one association, but there are MANY and this has gotten drilled into the heads of many people. I do have some issues with cancel culture, yet I also understand that people don't want to pad the pockets of someone who is/has directly supporting/supported Trump in a big way, nearly as big and high profile a way as *any* entertainer has done over the last 4 years. If Mike wanted to stake a claim to owning the role of someone who would keep being associated with Trump more than any other entertainer (or at least give dbags like Kid Rock and Ted Nugent a run for their money), he's certainly doing all he can to claim that title with a long list. And sadly, the brand too, by association.

No matter how one looks at it, it's deeply unfortunate that plenty of people won't want to touch the brand or at minimum support any future shows with Mike (such as a hypothetical 60th anniversary show) as a result of this. You can say "their loss" all you want, but it's Mike's fault that he unnecessarily brought this on himself. Feel free to minimize that quantity of fans or how much you think their thoughts matter (or don't matter) all you want - it still sucks, and it didn't have to happen. And yes, now the insurrection is associated with Trump. Mike didn't say a peep when Don Jr. sh*t-talked Brian, nor did Mike distance himself from Trump after that terrible fiasco, nor do I expect him to in the future. Don't Back Down.

I'm sure Feel Flows will get stellar reviews once it comes out, but I'll bet you that IF any major publication *omits* mentioning the awful, repeated Trump connection in any at-length writeup, it will be because some behind-the-scenes PR person begged/pleaded/bartered for this to not be mentioned. In other words, I don't think the stink of the Trump connection is leaving the brand anytime soon, and we'll be *lucky* if some smart, proactive PR people can get that connection omitted from FF (or reunion) writeups once the brand gets in the news again for this box set or any hypothetical reunion. Even if gets omitted in some places (it surely won't be omitted from all publications across the board), you can bet your bottom dollar many, many fans won't forget.

Can you actually point to any objective evidence that anything Mike has said or done in the last few years including his association with Trump has had any direct negative impact on the Beach Boys name?  Has there been a significant drop in album sales and online streaming of their music?  Have there been any "ban Beach Boys" rallies where folks are burning their records?  And on this very message board have there been any regulars who have recently sworn off the band and left the forum over Mike's actions?  My guess of course is the answer is a firm no.  So perhaps we should drop the irrational "sky is falling" hysteria and be a little more level-headed about this.  

And Trump isn't even a Beach Boy.  Hell, he's not even a President anymore (...zing!!!).  

« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 06:35:41 AM by Awesoman » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx