gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:03:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Variety gifts Mike with #8 placement on the Worst Songs of 2020 list  (Read 3173 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2021, 11:52:37 PM »

Nice to see Mike keeping his name in the news... LOL

"The worst songs of the year included Van Morrison and Eric Clapton's anti-lockdown songs, plus numbers by Tory Lanez, Mike Love and Lil Pump"

https://variety.com/lists/worst-songs-2020-year-review-van-morrison-eric-clapton/?fbclid=IwAR1TsYvn6DcIjbg-U1Ko2BW1kcHkQAdqt5yWhIUoegFOKF9FtvSSRxSffj0
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 01:17:20 AM »

Reading those lyrics, which i stopped the video before, they may have "under-rated" it.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 03:03:15 AM »

Congrats Mike! well deserved  LOL

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 06:27:33 AM »

Mike's song is indeed unimpressive, but this list seems more like a political hit job than anything else.   Roll Eyes

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 08:00:44 AM »

The most unfortunate thing about this article is that while they justifiably pointed out Mike's awful song, they *didn't* cite the *clear* stand-out lyric: "It's kinda like a viral super bowl."

They really went light on Mike on this article, not even really honing in on how his, erm, "gigs" this year seemed to contradict some of the sentiments of this song.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 08:13:19 AM »

The most unfortunate thing about this article is that while they justifiably pointed out Mike's awful song, they *didn't* cite the *clear* stand-out lyric: "It's kinda like a viral super bowl."

They really went light on Mike on this article, not even really honing in on how his, erm, "gigs" this year seemed to contradict some of the sentiments of this song.

They left out way too much. Like that this song’s proceeds supposedly went to help COVID victims...but, at last count, I heard he raised like $50 from the song. The irony being that the $50 could’ve gone to helping someone who got infected at one of Mike’s concerts.

He really should’ve been #1 on that list.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 08:22:26 AM »

Mike's song is indeed unimpressive, but this list seems more like a political hit job than anything else.   Roll Eyes

I agree with this, the overall effect of the article suffers because it comes off more as a condemnation of the politics perceived or heard in the lyrics (and from the artists) than the actual songs being judged. It feels like someone just wanted to unload on Van Morrison for personal reasons and politics more than anything, even if his lyrics were less than stellar on those tunes. Without getting into the politics, and not related to Covid, both "sides" or ideologies have a pretty checkered history of delivering ham-fisted if not downright juvenile lyrics in support of their opinions, so to call these songs out in Variety over political opinion seems like a waste of our time. But it generates clicks and ad revenue, and that's the ultimate goal anyway.

Having said that, Mike's Covid song pretty much stands on its own in terms of lyrics, and makes you wonder where is the guy who wrote the brilliant rhythmic lines in California Girls? Penthouse to the shithouse in a viral Super Bowl of ham-fisted clumsy lines.

And I'm surprised - but glad - that this article called out the latest music biz (and agent/rep/management) trend of generating sales by grafting a guest appearance by Justin Bieber onto any number of songs and putting his voice on existing songs where he serves no purpose. For fucks sake, is this how bad the current music industry situation is where they have to continue to use Justin Bieber guest shots to spike sales and downloads versus making quality music?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 08:50:13 AM »

I agree with this, the overall effect of the article suffers because it comes off more as a condemnation of the politics perceived or heard in the lyrics (and from the artists) than the actual songs being judged. It feels like someone just wanted to unload on Van Morrison for personal reasons and politics more than anything, even if his lyrics were less than stellar on those tunes. Without getting into the politics, and not related to Covid, both "sides" or ideologies have a pretty checkered history of delivering ham-fisted if not downright juvenile lyrics in support of their opinions, so to call these songs out in Variety over political opinion seems like a waste of our time. But it generates clicks and ad revenue, and that's the ultimate goal anyway.

Having said that, Mike's Covid song pretty much stands on its own in terms of lyrics, and makes you wonder where is the guy who wrote the brilliant rhythmic lines in California Girls? Penthouse to the shithouse in a viral Super Bowl of ham-fisted clumsy lines.

Agreed.  It can be true that most of these songs were at best unremarkable regardless to the obvious political prejudices coming from the ironically titled Variety.  It is a shame they couldn't have been more objective in making this list. 

All things said, it is kind of surprising that Mike Love's single garnered enough attention to warrant any placement on the list at all, despite how bad the song is in and of itself.   

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 10:47:59 AM »

Maybe this will help to keep that clown out of the studio and prevent him from releasing the pathetic garbage he spews. But, knowing his ego problem, I fear there's more of his crap that the world will be exposed to.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 10:59:23 AM »

They just hate to throw that Trump reference in there

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 11:39:06 AM »

Whether or not somebody loves Mike, loves Donald Trump, thinks Covid is a hoax, and thinks maskless concerts are fantastic, objectively speaking this Mike song is really really terrible, with laughably bad lyrics. The only morsel of credit I will give Mike is that the song isn't drenched in terrible autotune, like the robo Help Me Rhonda from UTL. At least there's that.

Other than that, it's utter garbage I'm sorry to say.

And I will call out modern-ish songs by Mike such as cool head, warm heart for being surprisingly decent. When Mike decides to not be awful, he'll get compliments.

But his new Covid song is terrible and laughable. Mike was robbed of the #1 spot on this list. Maybe someone needs to start a petition to get Variety to revise the list so that Mike can rightfully claim his throne. We all know how much he likes to be #1.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 11:40:59 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 03:53:59 PM »

Maybe this will help to keep that clown out of the studio and prevent him from releasing the pathetic garbage he spews. But, knowing his ego problem, I fear there's more of his crap that the world will be exposed to.  Roll Eyes
We need an OSD rifftrax of Mike Love... Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2021, 02:53:39 PM »

It should be #1. It’s fucking terrible.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2021, 02:58:26 PM »

And I'm surprised - but glad - that this article called out the latest music biz (and agent/rep/management) trend of generating sales by grafting a guest appearance by Justin Bieber onto any number of songs and putting his voice on existing songs where he serves no purpose. For fucks sake, is this how bad the current music industry situation is where they have to continue to use Justin Bieber guest shots to spike sales and downloads versus making quality music?
I noticed that trend some years back when our local newspaper would post the current top 10 in the Friday entertainment section. Most of the top 10 was stuff like "Kanye West featuring Kei$ha",  "The Weekend featuring Rihanna", "Christina Aguilera and Britney Spears with Eminem". I guess the only way to get a hit now is to have a guest artist on your song.
That apparently was Mike's thinking when he paired up with that Sugar Ray guy, and Hanson.
"The crystal ball will tell all...yes, I can see it clearly. Your future, Mike Love, includes guest appearances by Nelson".
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx