gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:23:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stereogum: ''Mike Love’s Beach Boys played for a packed, mask-less crowd'  (Read 7782 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2021, 02:55:29 PM »

Mike Love really moving up in the world, playing alongside Vanilla Ice for a mask-less NYE crowd at Mar-a-Lago!

https://www.stereogum.com/2111908/vanilla-ice-beach-boys-mar-a-lago-new-years-eve/news/

Meanwhile, other websites are reporting that this was, in fact, a Beach Boys cover band:

"Also on the MAGA-list of artists who will take any gig for check no matter how sleazy are Beach Boys cover band"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hiphopwired.com/playlist/vanilla-ice-performed-at-maskless-mar-a-lago-new-years-eve/amp/

« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 02:56:46 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 03:34:18 PM »

Mike Love sucks....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 03:38:26 PM »

The only positive things I can say are:

1. This makes Bruce look good.
2. People are caring less and less about Trump now, so news like this is fading with a shrug.
3. I don’t think this was an actual booking of “The Beach Boys”.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 03:39:47 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 05:08:18 PM »

Is it established that this was in fact Mike's Beach Boys, or a cover band?
I may be proven wrong, but I don't think Mike is stupid enough to do a gig like that.
But if he did, the only rationale I can come up with is suicide.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 05:17:58 PM »

https://www.newsweek.com/vanilla-ice-mike-love-trump-resort-1558466

Thud

« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 05:41:46 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 05:19:43 PM »

Is it established that this was in fact Mike's Beach Boys, or a cover band?
I may be proven wrong, but I don't think Mike is stupid enough to do a gig like that.
But if he did, the only rationale I can come up with is suicide.

There's footage of the evening and Mike is onstage with a band that I didn't recognize, but the clip was only a couple of seconds so I couldn't see very well. 
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 05:36:53 PM »

OK, I found some Twitter footage from this link:
https://www.thewrap.com/mar-a-lago-new-years-eve-party-maskless-giuliani-trump-jr-vanilla-ice/

FWIW, it shows Mike Love and Dean Torrence performing together, with a house band -- not the BB Band.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 05:41:11 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 06:03:36 PM »

OK, I found some Twitter footage from this link:
https://www.thewrap.com/mar-a-lago-new-years-eve-party-maskless-giuliani-trump-jr-vanilla-ice/

FWIW, it shows Mike Love and Dean Torrence performing together, with a house band -- not the BB Band.

At this point, with Mike having prostituted the brand name beyond recognition, who would even know it's not the Mike Love "Beach Boys" anyway...

Yet I do wonder if this being a "just Mike" show has anything to do with pushback within BRI to attaching the brand name to Trump. Or maybe Trump/Mar-a-lago was too damn cheap to pay for the costs of adding Bruce and the other band members to the lineup.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 08:52:46 PM »

A few hours ago, prior to reading this thread, I said to my wife that anyone stupid enough to attend large gatherings deserves whatever comes to them. Absolutely mind blowing to see this considering not only the event but the likely transportation to and from their homes/ states.

The potential here is for Mikes foolishness to be added to the  ‘Top 5 Bad Career Decisions’ thread before the month is out.

Edit....ok, too late.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 08:58:39 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 10:31:27 PM »

Here is the post Mike's Facebook page put up for New Year.   Nice sentiments but it would be even nicer if he actually walked the walk.  Really incredible.

We wish everyone a Happy New Year🎉 One filled with more friendliness and less animosity. Less selfishness and more generosity, an abundance of caring and compassion. The world needs all of us to do our best to manifest more kindness so that the coming year and years to come see an evolution of humanity, peace on earth and good will towards everyone no matter where on earth they may be.
Stay safe, optimistic, healthy and joyful🙏
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2021, 10:46:55 PM »

Here is the post Mike's Facebook page put up for New Year.   Nice sentiments but it would be even nicer if he actually walked the walk.  Really incredible.

We wish everyone a Happy New Year🎉 One filled with more friendliness and less animosity. Less selfishness and more generosity, an abundance of caring and compassion. The world needs all of us to do our best to manifest more kindness so that the coming year and years to come see an evolution of humanity, peace on earth and good will towards everyone no matter where on earth they may be.
Stay safe, optimistic, healthy and joyful🙏

Delusional words considering his actions. Hospital ICUs at 0% capacity. This event was a big middle finger to ICU workers. Some people at this event will get sick, or they'll get asyomptomatically sick and infect others, and despite that most people recover from Covid, others don't.

I just had a relative die of Covid. She likely got it from her daughter who was asymptomatic.

Everyone maskless at this event including Mike is a punk, devoid of compassion.

I really just wonder if Mike showing up without Bruce (were any/some of Mike's usual band in attendance?) is a sign of something behind the scenes forcing it to be so. Even furthering brand confusion one step more.

Sad way to start 2021.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 10:59:32 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2021, 10:50:51 PM »

This is tragic stuff, truly awful.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2021, 10:57:17 PM »

These are actual screenshots from Newsweek and Twitter, surprisingly not The Onion. I want to simultaneously laugh and cringe.

Mike's asshattery in 2021 making headlines alongside a Ninja turtle stock photo with Vanilla Ice, you literally CAN'T make this stuff up folks

« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 11:06:22 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2021, 11:12:36 PM »

I'm glad to see that apparently Bruce is taking a pro-masking stand and did not appear at this event. At the end of his phone call on Billy Hinsche's live Facebook show, Bruce told watchers to stay safe and "wear the mask."
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2021, 11:23:22 PM »

I'm glad to see that apparently Bruce is taking a pro-masking stand and did not appear at this event. At the end of his phone call on Billy Hinsche's live Facebook show, Bruce told watchers to stay safe and "wear the mask."

Wow. If that's the case, good for him. Even so, he supported a president who advocated otherwise so no big points from me, but it's better than what Mike is doing. At 80 years old this machismo posturing crap is just so so foolish.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2021, 10:32:31 AM »

Hey, you gotta be true to your buds!

In all seriousness, though, any idea when the last time Mike and Dean performed together was?

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2021, 11:06:01 AM »

Incisive and on-the-money summarization from John Fugelsang.

The wonderful irony of it all was that Trump ditched his NYE party to head back to Washington in order to "engineer the coup." So in lieu of adding some DJT brown-nosing points to his collection (only 43 more to go and one more donation for that "Medal of Honor"!!), Mike got to bask in the glow of the Trump toddlers who trashed Brian, and did a duet with Rudy Giuliani, introduced to the crowd as "The Legendary Maskless Surfer"...  Smokin
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2021, 11:53:10 AM »

Not only this a cringe-inducing event that is full of conservative psycopaths, but having a party like this sends a truly terrifying message following the death of 350 000 of your countrymen, many because of the absolute fiasco of a response to it. Don't these people belong in gibbets for the crows to feast on? Mike Love sure fits in though.

Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2021, 12:05:57 PM »

No Creed or Kid Rock?!? 🤷🏻‍♂️

"Jeff, you care." --BW
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2021, 12:09:49 PM »

Removed per request
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 12:11:56 AM by ♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2021, 02:01:44 PM »

Hearing rumours on Twitter that Mike Love is in hospital on a life glug after contacting Covid at this Trump joint.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2021, 05:13:08 PM »

Mike Love sucks....
Gee, golly, gosh and wow! I sure hope Mike Love doesn't get Covid19. That would be such a darn shame! Just think about what the world would be like without him. LOL
After reading the EH board, sounds like they all want the virus....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2021, 06:11:23 PM »

so, what youre telling me is there was just a Mike & Dean reunion concert but it was during the pandemic and it was at mar-a-lago?
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2021, 06:13:32 PM »

how much do you think they paid them?   
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2021, 07:48:41 PM »

I'm sure Mike and Dean couldn't afford to pay very much
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print