gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:10:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How many hours of film would it take to tell the entire Beach Boys story?  (Read 1563 times)
The Old Ranger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2020, 04:10:55 PM »

There's been several movies made, but time constraints works against them every time. I've read a ton of music biographies, but nothing touches the BB story. As for book form, it would have to be a four or five volume set. So many stories and so many details.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 04:07:52 AM »

I guess the problem with telling the Beach Boys' story is - as you mention - that there is just so much stuff. Basically you kinda need to tell both, Brian's and Dennis' stories. I guess (!) the other guys were "normal" enough so that you could pick out certain important episodes. On the other hand, if you really want to show how the band worked, you'd need to show each individuals qualities that he brought to the group. It'd be complicated imo. I guess "Love & Mercy" is the best we'll get, although that one is about Brian only. Maybe a short movie about each Beach Boy, done as a series?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Old Ranger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 10:48:06 PM »

Thanks for the reply. We'll just have to wait and see what else comes out. BTW, I noticed your Lester Bangs quote. Creem magazine was the best rock mag there ever was and it was always HILARIOUS! LB was the man for sure.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 02:34:33 AM »

Unfortunately I'm too young to know this stuff first hand (born in '84, and in Germany  Grin ). But the two quotes by Bangs and Rieley respectively seemed to perfectly capture the Beach Boys in my opinion  Cheesy

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Old Ranger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 11:30:35 AM »

Those are some great quotes. Jack's statement is the brutal truth. The BB's are huge still today despite it all but just think how big they would be if they hadn't blown it so many times.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 12:29:33 PM »

I think the problem that the film biographies grapple with is, how to end the story on an up note? An American Band ends with the Boys returning to Washington D.C. for a 4th of July concert - after the death of Dennis. Endless Harmony ends with Brian releasing Imagination - after Carl's death. How do you tell the latter part of their story without it becoming depressing? The early years are easy - hit after hit, Brian at his creative peak, nothing but good times - at least on the surface.
The Old Ranger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 01:35:52 PM »

It may not happen (because of Covid), but if the boys do a 50th year "reunion" tour, they could use footage of them playing live to end the movie. Freeze frame them at the right moment (while playing the right song) and then do the voiceover such as "The Beach Boys continue to play concerts, Brian Wilson is still releasing albums, etc. Just a thought, we don't know what's going to happen tomorrow. BTW, did I accidentally steal this from another BB movie?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx