gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:20:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Top five bad career moves  (Read 15027 times)
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2020, 09:24:32 PM »

For whatever reason Carl had given up on them by the early 90s. He resisted doing the 93 tour because he didn’t think they would sound good .Al pushed that one . Al and Brian were on board with a Pet Sounds anniversary tour in 96 that he also nixed because they couldn’t  handle it vocally . He had a ton of songs from the 70s that he never performed ever again for some reason only he would know . Heck Al pushed him to do SOS in 95. He was satisfied singing GOK , GV, and Darlin and calling it a night every tour .
I agree. Also, it seems to me that, perhaps not right away, but over the years Carl was affected by Dennis's death more than he ever let on. He not only lost his brother, but he lost Dennis's creative spark, and he lost the person who was his creative ally in the band when the urge to become an oldies band was so very strong. Perhaps Carl's priorities shifted, and he realized that the band wasn't the be all and end all of his life.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2020, 09:36:04 PM »

For whatever reason Carl had given up on them by the early 90s. He resisted doing the 93 tour because he didn’t think they would sound good .Al pushed that one . Al and Brian were on board with a Pet Sounds anniversary tour in 96 that he also nixed because they couldn’t  handle it vocally . He had a ton of songs from the 70s that he never performed ever again for some reason only he would know . Heck Al pushed him to do SOS in 95. He was satisfied singing GOK , GV, and Darlin and calling it a night every tour .
I agree. Also, it seems to me that, perhaps not right away, but over the years Carl was affected by Dennis's death more than he ever let on. He not only lost his brother, but he lost Dennis's creative spark, and he lost the person who was his creative ally in the band when the urge to become an oldies band was so very strong. Perhaps Carl's priorities shifted, and he realized that the band wasn't the be all and end all of his life.
That.
After all the years of looking out for his brothers, taking care of his mother in his old age, I think he just wanted things in the band to be as calm and stress-free as possible. He could have offered any of his BLW songs to the Beach Boys, but would have had to hear Mike and Terry complain that they weren't commercial enough, so why bother?
After all Brian had been through, I would not have wanted to book a tour performing an album where most of the leads were his.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2020, 09:55:05 PM »

Perhaps Carl's priorities shifted, and he realized that the band wasn't the be all and end all of his life.

I think that's dead-on accurate.  As fans, it's sometimes hard to see things the way that the band and their families see them.   From all accounts, Carl was a sensitive, thoughtful, good-hearted guy.  How could he not have been affected by everything that happened to Dennis and Brian?   This thing called the Beach Boys had given them fame and fortune... had entertained and brought joy and inspiration to millions of people world wide.... had produced an incomparable body work that would change the history of popular music.... and yet had destroyed or nearly destroyed them all.  

I've mentioned it before on here, and I wish I had retained a copy or a citation, but there was an early 1990s newspaper article in one of the Oregon newspapers in which Milton Love had some interesting things to say about the group.  On the one hand, he was proud of what the guys had accomplished, but on the whole he was ambivalent about the phenomenon of "The Beach Boys" and the strife and damage the enterprise had caused among and to his sons and nephews.    He made a comment along the lines that the only one who had survived the Beach Boys relatively unscathed was Al Jardine.    
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 09:56:37 PM by juggler » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2020, 11:45:04 PM »

IIRC there's a TV interview with Carl from the late 1980s where the host asks him about their new song and he can't help but look a bit embarrassed as he replies, "Still Cruisin' after all these years".
super sally
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2020, 10:00:23 AM »

Forgive for not finishing reading through the entire thread yet so some of this may be redundant.

1) At some point in the 1970's, not using an outside producer (all the guys were good-- but even the Beatles had George Martin.)
2) Not releasing an original album within in a year of Kokomo
3) Giving away two of the biggest hits of the 70's to other artists-- You are so Beautiful (debatable, I know) and I write the songs
4) Not playing Montarey Pop Fest
5) Not releasing Smile earlier
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2021, 10:51:06 AM »

Speaking of Carl, a nice change of pace story giving his 1965-1973 BB lead vocals the spotlight from UDiscoverMusic.....

Carl Wilson’s Best Beach Boys Songs: 10 Essential Tracks
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 10:52:34 AM by jeremylr » Logged
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2021, 11:32:57 AM »

Video from NYE at Mar-a-Lago

It looks like Mike and Dean Torrence  performing Kokomo (:31 into the video)

https://youtu.be/RRwtDKguyso?t=31
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2021, 11:36:15 AM »

Dammit Mike... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2021, 12:09:21 PM »

Not a mask worn in sight. Did Mike get tested before performing? Did anyone in his band? Like for f***’s sake, politics aside, this is not safe!

Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2021, 02:22:21 PM »

More

https://consequenceofsound.net/2021/01/vanilla-ice-beach-boys-mar-a-lago-nye/?fbclid=IwAR3PBLkqx2IC4Aj97mI5qvqqQU8spZB9nY5QwCPxGgaaqQ_bpZbuEVD-KH8
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2021, 05:58:30 PM »

1. Abandoning SMiLE

2. Allowing Mike to have the band's name under licence.

3. Focusing on covers for the 1976 'reunion' album (15 Big Ones).

4. Allowing Landy such control over Brian for so long.

5. Tube socks on stage - 'nuff said!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2021, 08:24:01 PM »

Mike can't even resist literally touching the crowd. He's still bumping fists from the stage.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 01, 2021, 08:34:36 PM »

Not a mask worn in sight. Did Mike get tested before performing? Did anyone in his band? Like for f***’s sake, politics aside, this is not safe!
Well Florida has been pretty good in dealing with corona as compared to New York and California where they are so strict on masks. Weird eh?
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 01, 2021, 10:28:09 PM »

Damn. I used to like Dean Torrence.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2021, 04:43:42 AM »

Well Florida has been pretty good in dealing with corona as compared to New York and California where they are so strict on masks. Weird eh?

“Florida breaks record with 17,000+ coronavirus cases in one day“
https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/12/31/florida-breaks-record-with-more-than-17000-coronavirus-cases-reported-in-one-day/

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2021, 05:31:25 AM »

It looks like Mike and Dean Torrence  performing Kokomo (:31 into the video)

1/20/2021....
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 05:32:03 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2021, 10:45:37 AM »

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/12/31/florida-breaks-record-with-more-than-17000-coronavirus-cases-reported-in-one-day/
Well isn't that something. So why is California where we can see people walking alone on the beach and driving alone wearing masks, on huge lockdown still soaring then? Testing? No testing?
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2021, 10:50:31 AM »

It looks like Mike and Dean Torrence  performing Kokomo (:31 into the video)

Well isn't that something. So why is California where we can see people walking alone on the beach and driving alone wearing masks, on huge lockdown still soaring then? Testing? No testing?

Because it's a huge population and it's not a total lockdown. Keeping stores and restaurants open and allowing people to eat indoors is not helping at all. I'm not taking the sides of any states or governors, they're all doing terribly right now. I live in New Jersey and we were doing great in May/June but then Murphy lifted restrictions and we're right back where we started. And I absolutely blame him for that. This isn't a partisan thing. Health experts were warning this would happen since it started and nobody listened to them.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 10:54:03 AM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2021, 04:16:09 PM »

Because it's a huge population and it's not a total lockdown. Keeping stores and restaurants open and allowing people to eat indoors is not helping at all. I'm not taking the sides of any states or governors, they're all doing terribly right now. I live in New Jersey and we were doing great in May/June but then Murphy lifted restrictions and we're right back where we started. And I absolutely blame him for that. This isn't a partisan thing. Health experts were warning this would happen since it started and nobody listened to them.

That's a really good point.  I hate these off-topic discussions, but I'm going to be a hypocrite and add my 2 cents.  I was on a Zoom call with a bunch of friends from all over the USA before Christmas, and everyone was ranting about their mayors/governors etc. with much blame being cast around.   I just have to shake my head.  Okay, I'm sure some misguided decisions have been made by nearly everyone at all levels, but you know what?  When you're dealing with a highly contagious disease in a population that doesn't have herd immunity, there are no easy perfect solutions. Anyone who claims that they know how this pandemic could have been easily dealt with is a liar or a fool.  Every time someone says, "Yeah, well X country (Sweden, Japan, wherever) did Y or didn't do Z, and they're not having all these problems," next thing you know those countries ARE having all the same problems.  With a  highly contagious disease in a population that doesn't have herd immunity, there is no real possibility of progress. No matter what happens, you're basically back at Day Zero every day. Outbreaks can grow exponentially at any point.  Until there's herd immunity due to vaccines or prior infections, no one is going to wave a magic wand and solve this.  
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 04:18:21 PM by juggler » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx