gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:49:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys production videos - Power Mower - Year in Review/Year Ahead  (Read 1979 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2020, 02:58:07 PM »

Hi there, friends.

While the end of the year has been a slow time for me as a documentarian, it has been a great year for my YouTube channel, where I try to draw the viewer's attention to various aspects of Beach Boys productions on a very detailed level.  If you haven't seen the channel, it's here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMbSQq3vY5JayyOMotj5k0g/videos

I am so chuffed to have nearly 350 subscribers, and one video on Sloop John B has over 5000 views.  And now, as we roll into 2021 here, I want to both tell you that there are good things to come, and also solicit input.

2021 should bring better production values to the show, and a more diverse range of discussions.  I will wrap up the Today LP, and then go straight into Summer Days.  I plan to really get into the nitty gritty detail; covering instruments, studio techniques, production elements, and pretty much everything that happened musically to make these great productions.

Then, after I finish the series on Summer Days, I plan to do something approaching a professional-level documentary on the production of Pet Sounds.  

Now, with my plans being aired, I really want to emphasize that what makes me happiest is being a successful evangelist for the Beach Boys music.  And a big part of that is making people happy with the videos and engaging with what people are actually interested in.  And it does me a lot of good to hear thoughts from discerning fans and listeners.  So if you have any thoughts about what you'd like to see, please let me know.  What does a successful video series about the Beach Boys music look like to you?  I will remain the executive producer, but input and feedback is so dearly appreciated.

So please reach out if you have any thoughts or ideas in how to continue spreading the word that this music is great.  And I look forward to your viewership in the future!

Thanks!

JH
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 05:08:22 PM by aeijtzsche » Logged
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 07:48:02 PM »

Always glad to see another post from you.

I want to thank you for your contribution in making this year less sucky. Your videos were a welcome escape from everything else.

I don't have much time to make any big comments but the things I have enjoyed are:
- isolated parts that we don't otherwise get to hear, then hearing how they mesh with the whole
- isolated combinations that we don't otherwise get to hear (like partial backing tracks)
- intstrument-specifc breakdowns, identifying tones and timbres
- compositional background to improve understanding of what is happening with chords, etc., as well as BW's progression as a writer and producer/arranger.

Thanks again!

Watch out for snakes!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 08:22:17 AM »

Always glad to see another post from you.

I want to thank you for your contribution in making this year less sucky. Your videos were a welcome escape from everything else.

I don't have much time to make any big comments but the things I have enjoyed are:
- isolated parts that we don't otherwise get to hear, then hearing how they mesh with the whole
- isolated combinations that we don't otherwise get to hear (like partial backing tracks)
- intstrument-specifc breakdowns, identifying tones and timbres
- compositional background to improve understanding of what is happening with chords, etc., as well as BW's progression as a writer and producer/arranger.

Thanks again!

I second all of this!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 12:50:39 PM »

Here's a link to short preview video of the upcoming season.  Watch all the way through for a little snippet of the Guess I'm Dumb horns in isolation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2DsJTG3e9Y
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 08:02:29 PM »

All sounds terrific, Joshilyn. I know we're all looking forward to more of your videos, especially as we get within shouting distance of PET SOUNDS.

So sorry to hear about Missy...hope that when a suitable period of mourning has passed, you'll start thinking about a new feline companion. They really are as necessary as the Beach Boys' music--wouldn't want to be living without either!

One feature that might be useful for listeners that I don't think has been suggested--perhaps somewhere in the intro sections of the videos you can set a synth setting to piano and simply do a run-through of the chord sequences that Brian was likely to have pounded out during his initial creation phase for the songs. It wouldn't have to be the full song length...maybe just an abridged version that gives the listener some initial orientation to the basics of the song.

All best, and thanks for your great work!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 08:26:54 PM »

Thank you, Don.  It is very strange to be without a feline companion.  In the past, even when I would leave the house, there would usually be a cat at my destination.  So my home feels very very empty.

I really like your suggestion.  Thank you for it, it is a great idea and I will do it.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 06:57:45 PM »

My condolences for the loss of Missy. Losing a cherished pet and companion is always rough.

Glad to see a new video and I'm looking forward to more! Any intention of looking at Sandy/Sherry She Needs Me?

Watch out for snakes!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 07:11:20 PM »

Glad to see a new video and I'm looking forward to more! Any intention of looking at Sandy/Sherry She Needs Me?

Yes, both versions--primarily contrasting the approaches available between the Boys and the Session Players.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 08:25:29 PM »

Fantastic! I do love the more fully-produced backing track. Saxy.

Watch out for snakes!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx