gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:17:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What was the highest Heroes and Villians could have possibly charted?  (Read 1717 times)
thr33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2020, 10:17:56 AM »

So Heroes and Villains was released July 31, 1967 and peaked at #12.

Is it possible that either an earlier release date, or a different assembly (vintage or otherwise), or a combination of both could have gotten it into the top 10? Top 5? Make it a number 1 hit?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 10:20:49 AM by thr33 » Logged
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 10:22:58 AM »

I think it peaked at #10 on Cashbox in the US - which shows sales were still good. Technically sales were still good until “Break Away” and the switch to Reprise afterwards.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 11:04:26 AM »

I know we're talking about America's summertime band, but I think this is one exception where a non-summer release could have done the record good. Autumn of '66, with "Good Vibrations" and so on from SMiLE, probably would've gone further...or maybe it would've been lost in the explosion of "Good Vibrations"?  Huh
saborlord123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 07:30:40 PM »

I think it's highly unlikely but definitely possible that if it was released in spring '67 at the latest (perhaps the double sided heroes and villains single like on the smile sessions box set) it had a shot of going number one... but that's just me.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 08:20:42 PM »

I love H&V but even after all these years I've yet to hear a version or mix that screams #1 hit to me.... and yet I will say #1 mainly on the basis of this Chuck Britz quote:

" It was done like 'Good Vibrations'; it was just one hell of a song. It was a great song. Then, I understand, they went up to his home, and they did a lot of things. They cut it and inserted an organ down at the bottom of (Brian's) pool to get the pool quality.They did all kinds of things, but I think basically it could have been as good a classic as 'Good Vibrations' or better. Our (version) ran about five or six minutes; it was just a further step from 'Good Vibrations'. It had some great melodic lines. The arrangement was so full, and it was just something that I was very dissappointed in when I heard the final product."

If Chuck said that there was a 5-6 minute version that he thought was as good or better than GV, then who am I to argue?

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 03:54:41 AM »

Unfortunately the chorus "HV just see what you've done" dragged on and sank the chances of this song doing well. The live performance from 1970 received good audience response. Maybe and earlier release (and certainly with the Smile Sessions version) would make it a top 10 release. It was most likely never going to make #1 in any way shape or form as it just doesn't have the same potential GV did.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 12:06:42 PM »

Here are two previous discussion related to this topic and question which have some pretty fascinating info:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13985.0.html

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11575.0.html

One thing to keep in mind and which got somewhat lost to history is how these "charts" and chart positions specifically are not always reflective of how Top 40 AM radio music was tabulated in the mid 60's. We get an info download decades later saying a single only reached #11 because the reference is a Billboard listing. But the records themselves were far more regional at that time, dependent also on specific radio stations and even specific DJ's working in specific markets. So you might see a single peak at #2 in Boston, #6 in Chicago, #3 in Philly, #1 in Los Angeles, etc...and the Billboard and Cashbox listings would take an average of all the regional surveys to publish their "charts". And in some cases there could be a single which was huge in Philly or Los Angeles, but that same single never dented the charts in other big markets. The Beach Boys in particular had this happen a few times in 1967, where something like "Wild Honey" went top-5 in more R&B flavored markets like Philly and Detroit, yet gets remembered as being a relative lukewarm failure on the Billboard charts. Same with "Darlin", it was #2 pop in one market and in others it barely cracked the top 20, and gets written up as if it failed. Things were much more regional in the 60's, and before FM radio became the Top 40 location.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 03:14:42 PM »

By definition, number 1.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx