gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 08:45:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce Johnston Interview on Old Grey Whistle Test  (Read 5976 times)
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2020, 10:51:41 PM »

I've never seen this before. He talks about a group he was in called 'Califonia Music', which is news to me. Does anyone have more insight on this group?

He also talks about why he left The Beach Boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6defs4S4ys
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 01:21:24 AM »

Very interesting! This sounds like there was a lot of tension between Bruce and the band in 1972. He even criticizes the live shows which seems odd. This is a great document and I love the band's '72 "performance" of Mess of Help at the beginning of the video.
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 09:40:02 AM »

Califonia Music https://www.45cat.com/artist/california-music

Watson, did you hear this?
Terry Trolley
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 09:43:13 AM »

Name was shortened to just California after the initial single

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vxwu9eHoLY&feature=emb_title
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 11:20:41 AM »

He talks about Bill House at Equinox Records, is that the same guy that wrote Make It Big?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 02:54:35 PM »

Whenever I see the old Bruce bit on Old Grey Whistle Test, all I can think of now is the time around a decade ago, whenever YouTube was first a thing, where someone posted Bruce doing that tune on OGWT, and Bruce posted online just completely blowing his stack and ranting and raving about it being posted.

That was the classic era of his Old Grey Whistle Test rant as well as his "Don't call me BJ" rant....

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 04:26:18 PM »

He talks about Bill House at Equinox Records, is that the same guy that wrote Make It Big?

If I remember correctly from other info I’ve read on the board, this would be the same Bill House who plays on Sumahama and half of KTSA, assistant produced Rock and Roll to the Rescue, and wrote Make It Big. I’m guessing he likely played on the last two as well.
Join The Human Race
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 07:38:52 PM »

Very interesting interview from Bruce about his departure not too long after it happened. I was actually reading some old posts about Bruce leaving during this time yesterday and the various stories given over the years. It really comes down to wanting different things, but not wanting to be enemies. He still spoke fondly of them and was knowledge of the Caribou sessions and was talking about Battle Hymn of the Republic. He definitely had some kind of connection with the guys during this time. Their does seem to be some indication of Bruce and Jack Rieley not liking one another, but the Beach Boys seemed to still like Bruce during his hiatus from the band. Bruce's relationship with the band is very interesting. I am pretty sure he has always viewed the Beach Boys as a business venture but he is very knowledgeable of the band's history and sometimes can be a very strong supporter of Brian's deeper stuff, like Til I Die. Bruce seemed to vibe with Brian when they were in the studio together. Brian definitely respected Bruce as a producer. Brian's role in California Music is interesting. Was he trying to use California Music as an outlet to leave  the Beach Boys? Wasn't he signed to produce a decent amount of singles for them only until his family/the band terminated Brian's contract because he'd spend it on drugs? Squeaky clean Bruce Johnston in the middle of the Beach Boys drug world. Bruce has indicated to a fan, voluntarily, that he left the Beach Boys over drugs. I assume Bruce could somehow look past the cocaine usage and still be friends with the guys. Interesting time and interesting perspectives I'd love to have.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 02:35:03 PM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:59:06 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2020, 02:49:33 PM »

Thanks for that. Very interesting. For whatever reason I thought he wouldn't like this album at all but his comments on Make it Good and Blondie and Rickys stuff are spot on I think. I'd agree with him on most cept I LOVE Mess of Help  Cool Guy

Anyone ever seen Bruce's review of the So Tough album from 1972? Really bizarre artefact, not sure what newspaper/mag it's from. Here's the whole thing, all spellings reproduced:

EX-BEACH BOY BRUCE JOHNSTON REVIEWS GROUP'S NEW SET

BEACH BOYS: "So Tough" (Warner). I was involved with part of the production of this album but very little. And I only sang on one track, so I think I can take a couple of steps away from the group and review it without mixing any feelings I have about our ex-business management and other things that bother me.
   The name of the album is “Carl And The Passions – So Tough”. In America it’s a double album and the other album is “Pet Sounds”. The reason for including “Pet Sounds” is that it got poor exposure when it was released in the States five years ago.
   I recall that “Pet Sounds” did O.K. in England and Europe, but in America it was kind of overlooked, so this is America’s second chance.
   Anyway, I’ll just review the new album because that will be the only album released in England.
   The first song, “You Need A Mess on Help to Stand Alone”, written by Brian and Jack Rieley, was originally called “Beachers From Baltimore”. I didn’t play on it but I watched Brian make the track. I’m disappointed at the vocal. I didn’t think there was much energy or unique arrangement put into the background vocals, and I don’t like Carl’s lead – it sounds a little forced and it’s a double lead, which doesn’t sound right to me. I don’t think this would be a good single, even though it is one.
   “Here She Comes” – Ricky Fataar and Blondie Chaplin were the writers. It’s a nice song. It’s not good, it’s not bad, it’s just a nice song, but it doesn’t sound like the Beach Boys. But I do think that if Ricky and Blondie decide to stay with the Beach Boys they will fit in nicely, especially having had a couple of months in the studio in Holland with everyone working without having any time problem. I think there was a rush on this album. The song’s O.K. but it’s really kind of a wash!
   I think the most sensational cut is “He Come Down”. That has a lot of spirit, and it’s reflecting in the lyrics a lot of things that I know the guys feel, especially Mike and Alan who are now teachers of transcendental meditation.
   They seem to have put a lot of things they’ve been thinking about and learning into the song, and it’s good. I would consider this track for the single. I haven’t heard a Beach Boy track with so much energy for a long time.
   The next cut is “Marcella”, which I’ve always liked. I remember I went on a tour a few months ago and Brian had written the choruses and Ricky and Blondie and Carl were going over the song and rehearsing it maybe two or three hours before they went on stage at the concert hall.
   When the hall was empty it sounded pretty good, but by the time we finished it in the studio it became a little vocally over-produced. It sounded like a collection of 10 years of tricks put into one song. It’s a little too gooey and commercial for me.
   Opening cut on side two, “Hold On To Your Brother”, was written by Ricky and Blondie. I don’t think it fits the album. It sounds like something by America or possibly Crosby Stills and Nash. But on its own it’s pretty good.
   It’s a little too long, but you can see the energy Blondie has in his voice, and I think in later Beach Boy records Blondie’s leads will be very interesting to listen to when they merge with Beach Boy harmony.
   Dennis and Daryll wrote “Make It Good”. The music side of me says, “Gee what a terrific chord structure this song has, an incredible arrangement, I’ve always thought that Darryl Dragon should do more arranging as he’s a very taltented musician, and this song, to me, proves I’m right.”
   I listened to this album on two different stereo systems, and I don’t think the mix on Dennis’s voice is the way it should be. I can’t make out all the words. I feel his voice is a little too low. Dennis has a nice fat voice, so you don’t really have to over-dub his voice to thicken it up, although he did that on some of his tracks.
   I’d like to hear more of Dennis’s lead. This song musically knocks me out more than anything else on the album. But I’m not being very objective commercially.
   “All This Is That” is by Jardine, Wilson and Love. I found the harmony here a little more interesting than the actual song, which is very simple and there’s a nice message.
   The last cut, written by Dennis and Daryll, is “Cuddle Up”. I don’t think the song is quite as good as Dennis’s other cut, “Make It Good”, and I feel the arrangement is too powerful. I did enjoy Dennis’s feel, but I don’t think the song is quite up to some of the other songs that he has hidden in his closet – which he’ll play for some time and then hide them away for a year.
   To sum up the album, I don’t think it’s as good as “Surf’s Up” and I don’t think it matches anything that “Sunflower” did. I like “Sunflower” better than any album we’ve made in four years, but I know it didn’t do well in the United States or England.
   I would like to see more involvement with the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson. I spoke with Brian a couple of weeks ago and he told me that he didn’t really have too much to do with this album. I don’t hear his voice very much on this album and I’m hoping that if he does come to Holland to meet the guys and get involved in recording in the summer we’ll hear some more Beach Boy hits like we used to hear, but not repeating the old success formula, and we’ll hear some 1972 Beach Boys with 1972 Brian.
   I suppose I should make a statement regarding my departure from the Beach Boys but I’m kind of superstitious about discussing the future. As you know, I have a lot of energy and it’s always been for the Beach Boys. I had a lot of hopes and dreams for the Beach Boys, but now I think it’s time to transfer all of those things to me. There are things that I’ve wanted to accomplish on my own and you just have to strike off on your own and do it.
   Eventually, if anyone’s still interested I will make a detailed statement about what I’m doing.
   I could say, however, that I do miss England. I love touring England and I especially miss riding on the Brighton Belle, but sadly enough for me they took it off before I could come to England and ride it last time.
   BRUCE JOHNSTON

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2020, 04:54:01 PM »

Whoa, thanks for digging that one up.  Bruce's CATP review is pretty darned accurate across the board.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2020, 02:40:27 AM »

Thanks for that review!

I think Bruce makes his points very clear and his opinion certainly does not sound like he's taking revenge or anything. Although I don't agree on everything, I do so on a couple of his views. "So Tough" could've been a great Rock album, but it's choice of material is kinda all over the place. I'm not sure but maybe it's even possible to make a more coherent album out of it with recordings we know already existed at that time.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2020, 06:02:51 AM »

Mess of Help is perfection in this clip. Peak BBs.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx