gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:06:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Harrison's 𝐴𝑙𝑙 𝑇ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔𝑠 𝑀𝑢𝑠𝑡 𝑃𝑎𝑠𝑠 turns 50  (Read 6556 times)
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 28, 2020, 10:34:20 AM »

George Harrison's All Things Must Pass, quite possibly the best solo album from a Beatle, turned 50 yesterday.  One of my favorite albums.  To commemorate the anniversary they released a brand new remix of the title track (https://youtu.be/QWV4pFV5nX4) and it sounds quite stellar without all the excess Spector clutter.  The Harrison camp seems to be hinting at a full remix of the album next year.  If that is the case then this is exciting news!!

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 05:58:52 AM »

George Harrison's All Things Must Pass, quite possibly the best solo album from a Beatle, turned 50 yesterday.  One of my favorite albums.  To commemorate the anniversary they released a brand new remix of the title track (https://youtu.be/QWV4pFV5nX4) and it sounds quite stellar without all the excess Spector clutter.  The Harrison camp seems to be hinting at a full remix of the album next year.  If that is the case then this is exciting news!!

Oooff! ATMP is definitely a fantastic collection of songs but in the original version!

It is what it is. Give me Uncle Phil's original production any day. Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 06:47:33 PM »

Oooff! ATMP is definitely a fantastic collection of songs but in the original version!

It is what it is. Give me Uncle Phil's original production any day. Grin
I am guessing the average fan has no idea what is involved in the recording and mixing of an album - especially a three record set! The most I've ever mixed down is 8 tracks. I can't imagine dealing with 16 or 24! It's no mistake that ATMP sounds the way it does - that was the sound they were going for. To go back 50 years later and try to give it a different sound IMO is a huge mistake.
Hey, I'm gonna go touch up the Mona Lisa.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 10:43:38 AM »

Obviously Spector's mix certainly was integral to the album and it added depth to Harrison's bigger songs like "What Is Life" and "Isn't It a Pity".  However I believe that Harrison himself has been skeptical over how his debut album sounded and came close to having it remixed for its 30th anniversary release.  I do like this new mix for what it's worth and would be curious as to how these songs might sound with a new coat of paint.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 09:23:55 AM »

This was posted on a George Harrison Facebook group page this week, all credit to them. It's a letter sent by Phil Spector to George with comments about the songs and early mixes on All Things Must Pass. It gives a neat inside look at what Spector brought to the process and how he and George worked as producer and artists. And it also shows Phil's producer's ear in terms of specific mix issues and what seemed to be Phil wanting to give George more confidence in his lead voice, suggesting on multiple song mixes that George's vocals be emphasized even more.

Enjoy if you haven't seen this:

August 19, 1970
NOTES FOR GEORGE HARRISON
Re: George Harrison LP
Dear George:
I have listed each tune and some opinions on each for you to use, as I will not be in London for some time. In general, I feel the remixing of the album requires a great deal of work or at least a few hours on each number. I feel it would be best if we saved all remixing until I return as a great deal of the mixes should be done with a fresh approach. Though the following looks like a book, it is just because there are so many songs and opinions.
1. AWAITING ON YOU ALL:
The mixes I heard had the voice too buried, in my opinion. I'm sure we could do better. The performance probably will be okay, unless you really think you can do it better. However, as I said above, I think a lot of it is in the final mix when we do it.
2. IF NOT FOR YOU:
The mix I heard also had the voice too buried. Performance was fine. It also should be remixed when the entire album is remixed.
3. I'LL HAVE YOU ANYTIME:
Same comments as "IF NOT FOR YOU"
4. ALL THINGS MUST PASS:
I'm not sure if the performance is good or not. Even on that first mix you did which had the "original" voice, I'm sure is not the best you can do. But, perhaps you should concentrate on getting a good performance. I still prefer the horns out on the intro but that is a remix decision which should be done at that time. Also the voices in the bridge (Eric and Bobby) sound flat, and should be very low in the final mix. This particular song is so good that any honest performance by you will be acceptable as far as I'm concerned but if you wish to concentrate on doing another then you should do that.
5. BEWARE OF DARKNESS:
The eight track I heard after it was bumped had the electric guitar you played bumped on with the rhythm guitars. I personally feel you can make a better bump with a bit more rhythm guitars. The electric guitar seems to drown them out. Perhaps you should do another bump with more rhythm guitars, or seriously consider taking this one to Trident Studios using the original eight track and avoiding bumping, as each track we used is important and vital to a good final mix.
6. ISN'T IT A PITY (NO. 1):
Still needs full string and horns. Naturally, performance is still needed by you. I think you should just concentrate on singing it and getting that out of the way.
7. ISN'T IT A PITY (NO. 2):
Still needs full or some type of orchestration. Performance seemed okay, but needs to be listened to at the end.
9. LET IT DOWN:
This side needs an excellent and very subtle remix which I am positive can be gotten and it will become one of the great highlights of the album. Believe me. In listening I find it needs an answer vocal from you on "Let It Down" parts. I'm not sure about this next point, but maybe a better performance with better pronunciation of words should be tried at Trident without erasing the original which did have much warmth to it. Perhaps you could try this at Trident. The vocal group (Eric and Bobby) on the "Let it Down" parts sounded okay. The Moonlight Bay" horn parts should be out the first time and very, very low the second time they play that riff, I think. Perhaps at the end, near the fade, a wailing sax (old rock and roll style) played by Bobby Keys would possibly add some highlight to the ending and make it totally different from the rest of the song. It's hard to explain, but some kind of a screeming saxophone mixed in with all that madness at the end might be an idea. Anyhow it's something to think about. Even though everything is not exactly as we had hoped (horns, etc.) I think it will be great when it is finished. Everything on those eight tracks now is important and vital to the final product. I know the right mix and sounds even on the horns can be obtained in remix. The only other thing the horns could have done is what they play originally on the "Let it Down" parts, only more forcefully. However, I still think it's all there and there's nothing to worry about on that number.
10. MY SWEET LORD:
This still needs backing vocals and also an opening lead vocal where you didn't come in on the original session. The rest of the vocal should be checked out but a lot of the original lead vocal is good. Also an acoustic guitar, perhaps playing some frills should be overdubbed or a solo put in. Don't rush to erase the original vocal on this one as it might be quite good, since background voices will have to be done at Trident Studios, any lead vocals perhaps should be done there as well.
11. WAH WAH:
This still needs some bridge, and perhaps a Bobby Keyes solo. Also needs lead vocal and background voices.
13. WHAT IS LIFE:
The band track is fine. This needs a good performance by you and proper background voice. It should be done at Trident Studios if further tracks are necessary.
15. HEAR ME LORD:
Still needs horns or other orchestration. The vocal should be checked out to see if it is okay in performance and level.
16. APPLE SCRUFFS:
This mix seems to be okay as is.
18. BEHIND THAT LOCKED DOOR:
Maybe the vocal performance can be better. I'm not sure. Also, the mix may be able to be better as well. The voice seems a little down.
George, on all the 18 numbers I just mentioned, this is what I feel are the most important items on each. Naturally, wherever possible, of main importance is to get a good vocal performance by yourself. Also, if you do any of the background voices, you should spend considerable time on them to make sure they are good. In practically every case, I would recommend that you use Trident Studios for overdubbing voices, lead or otherwise, so as not to bump tracks or go eight-to eight, and also to be able to do as much an possible before reducing everything back to the original eight track. This would probably be an easier way to do it and would also insure the best type of protection for our original eight tracks when it comes to remixing, as most of those tracks are presently very good and I'd rather avoid going eight-to-eight and further bumping. Also, in many cases one erases a performance before comparing it to the new performance, which would not have to happen on a sixteen track.
I'm sure the album will be able to be remixed excellently. I also feel that therein lies much of the album because many of the tracks are really quite good and will reproduce on record very well. Therefore, I think you should spend whatever time you are going to on performances so that they are the very best you can do and that will make the remixing of the album that much easier. I really feel that your voice has got to be heard throughout the album so that the greatness of the songs can really come through. We can't cover you up too much (and there really is no need to) although as I said, I'm sure excellent mixes can be obtained with just the proper amount of time spent on each one. When the recording of the album is finished, I think we can get into it better on a remix level if we just devote time to it and thereby we will make a much better album since we will be concentrating on one thing at a time.
George, thank you for all your understanding about what we discussed, I appreciate your concern very much and hope to see you as soon as it is possible.
Much love. Regards to everyone. Hare Krishna,
Phil Spector
PS/sjh

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 05:20:37 AM »

This was posted on a George Harrison Facebook group page this week, all credit to them. It's a letter sent by Phil Spector to George with comments about the songs and early mixes on All Things Must Pass. It gives a neat inside look at what Spector brought to the process and how he and George worked as producer and artists. And it also shows Phil's producer's ear in terms of specific mix issues and what seemed to be Phil wanting to give George more confidence in his lead voice, suggesting on multiple song mixes that George's vocals be emphasized even more.

Thank you, sir, that is one incredible read!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 08:07:49 PM »

Thank you, sir, that is one incredible read!
Yes it is. Very thoughtful, meticulous; not the ravings of a madman. I like how he encourages George on his vocal performances. George had long felt inferior as a singer - blame that on being in a band with Lennon and McCartney!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 06:37:55 AM »

I am just reading those notes now.  Very insightful.  Thanks for sharing!  The Harrison camp has been fairly quiet on any new releases concerning All Things Must Pass but I imagine if they have any plans for a full album remix we'll hear of them hopefully soon.

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 09:10:58 PM »

I am just reading those notes now.  Very insightful.  Thanks for sharing!  The Harrison camp has been fairly quiet on any new releases concerning All Things Must Pass but I imagine if they have any plans for a full album remix we'll hear of them hopefully soon.

Well speak of the devil...

https://musictap.com/2021/06/08/__trashed/

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 09:35:13 AM »

That's really interesting news about a deluxe box set! One caveat I have comes from my discovery of Bobby Whitlock's YouTube channel he has with his wife Coco...absolutely fascinating. Is basically Bobby and Coco talking and Bobby giving the deep histories behind the projects he's been involved with. Through that channel, I've been revisiting both the Layla project, All Things Must Pass, Bobby's own music, and Delaney & Bonnie and Friends. Essential viewing for anyone into those albums and into the history of that era in music. I've heard things that I don't believe I've ever heard before thanks to Bobby's candid interviews on his channel. He's an awesome guy, fantastic musician, has been through hell and back, and is someone who is a straight-shooter when it comes to cutting through the bullshit.

And there is where I'll be really curious to see and read how they approach All Things Must Pass.

Recently there have been some claims made as to who was involved and more importantly how much they were involved in making All Things Must Pass. No doubt, it's a massive task to sort through all of the credits because there were so many musicians involved in making that album. However some of those musicians - and some writers too - have been overstating some claims they've staked on their involvement in the album.

Just like we see in Beach Boys history, it can be like walking on eggshells because some of these musicians are very well known, yet if they're claiming more than was actually done, what is the right way to call it out? And how do things get corrected once they get published as part of a box set project? Two names Bobby has mentioned: Peter Frampton and Gary Wright. There are claims made that they did more than they actually did, and Bobby's memory counters what those claims are...and after hearing what Bobby says, it's hard not to take his word since he was one of the few who was there as part of the core band.

That's where it gets interesting. For those who may not know, Bobby was the original "friend" in Delaney & Bonnie and Friends, when they were a trio. The backing band originally had Jim Keltner on drums, then they picked up Jim Gordon. Carl Radle was on bass. Soon Eric Clapton, looking to move away from Cream and the long jams on stage, joined as well. And then...George Harrison jumped on board and actually toured with them briefly. Video exists of that lineup.

So when that band broke up - reasons given on one of Bobby's interviews - George called Eric asking about a band to make his new solo album. Bobby Whitlock was staying with Clapton in England at the time. Clapton and Bobby basically got the D&B rhythm section back together - Jim Gordon and Carl Radle - and they became George's core studio musicians, to which others like Bobby Keys who were in their circle anyway were added, and George's buddies like Billy Preston, Ringo, the guitarists from Badfinger, etc came on board too.

Of course that same core band on All Things Must Pass became Derek And The Dominoes, and the rest is history. One of the greatest bands in rock history that just "clicked" when they played live.

But some of what Bobby says has not been what was on the record before, however when you hear what Bobby says it's hard to find flaws in his information because he was quite literally there and present for most of it, from the very first call George put to Clapton to help form a band for the album. Bobby also doesn't want to call out anyone specific, he says this often, but when information doesn't seem to jive, he will mention it and describe what he witnessed in the studio.

A few examples, briefly: Pete Drake the awesome "talking" pedal steel guitarist was contacted by Bobby to come over and add some steel guitar. The issue of Frampton comes in because photos show Frampton and Drake in the studio, and Frampton of course would become famous for the same talk-box (or bag in this case) that Drake used on those talking guitar hits. And according to Bobby, the issue of Frampton being called to add lead guitar or whatever the claims are can be countered by the fact that number one, Eric Clapton was there...why would George bring a relative unknown in when he already had the most famous lead guitarist in the UK on the sessions from day 1. And number two, Frampton's manager showed up at a session and asked George if he could put Frampton on the album as a favor to help build his cred. If anything specific, Frampton added some rhythm guitar to an already full "wall of guitars" that Bobby said was the guys from Badfinger and others in and out who were in a corner of the studio strumming acoustics after George showed them what to play. It's the same set-up he used for the Bangladesh concert, where the Badfinger guys were just off-stage strumming that same wall of guitars during the concert.

Another issue involved Spector, and maybe it's been written elsewhere but Bobby's story was the first I had heard it. Spector would need alcohol to get going before a session. Bobby would see him down drink after drink as things started to get rolling, to where he would get stumbling drunk sometimes by the time the session was moving along. Well, one session Spector drank so much, so fast that he stumbled hard and broke his arm, and was absent for a time.

So where that story leads is that Spector was not often as hands-on as the producer in the studio as some would think, because he either wasn't there, or was absent in other ways and for other reasons. You see that in the letter listed above - Spector was not there, but giving advice from across the Atlantic. And this meant George Harrison and his musicians were basically running the show, and George himself opened up a lot of decisions to the musicians in the studio. Bobby said it was fantastic, and fully democratic: If a musician had an idea, George would always say "do it". Anything from orchestration to arrangement to what to play, George was very open that way because he knew he had some of the finest rock players of that time in the studio.

And that leads to another studio credit in question. According to Bobby, using the old Victorian pump organ was his idea. It became one of the signature sounds of several key tracks gluing everything together, and those parts were played by Bobby. However, recently some others have been claiming and getting credit for those parts instead of Bobby.

Where those others' claims fall apart is the only one who knew how to get the thing running and actually play it was Bobby, because he had played one in his younger years and knew how it worked.

Those are just a few examples.

Anyway, I hope input from Bobby Whitlock is included in the liners and credits on this set. Once you scan a few of his videos, you'll know why. And also, in terms of credits, certain bigger name artists who were on the album had to be careful because they had contracts with other labels, and their own labels and management wouldn't like seeing a big name appear on a competitor label's major release. That's why, well, one reason why, the actual credits for who played on George's album have been spotty through the years. Very similar to the Beach Boys having Dean  on "Barbara Ann" and having to hide the fact he was on there due to contracts.

So I hope they do it right, and we don't get credits that are either overblown or just plain wrong, because there are people who were there who can validate or dispute a lot of the information about the project.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2021, 07:03:57 AM »

Cool insight!  I plan on picking this release up as All Things Must Pass is easily one of my all-time favorite albums.  Will probably pass on the deluxe set as I honestly don't care all that much about outtakes which seems to be the meat of the bonus stuff. 

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2021, 11:12:28 PM »

Cool insight!  I plan on picking this release up as All Things Must Pass is easily one of my all-time favorite albums.  Will probably pass on the deluxe set as I honestly don't care all that much about outtakes which seems to be the meat of the bonus stuff. 
I have the 30th anniversary 2 cd edition, and I'm fine with it. The bonus stuff on it is a few acoustic demos of some songs, a remake of My Sweet Lord, and an unreleased song I Live For You featuring Pete Drake on pedal steel.
There was also an album titled Early Takes Volume 1 which is mostly ATMP demos and unplugged, live studio takes. It was released as a tie in with the Scorsese documentary about George, and just seemed to be overshadowed by the film.
No, I don't need to buy ATMP a third time (still have pristine 1970 vinyl of the album); don't know if Bangladesh will ever get an expanded release. So I'm gonna wait and see if the other Geo albums get anniversary editions. My guess is, probably not. Previous releases of the other solo albums have yielded very little in terms of bonus material.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2021, 10:41:34 AM »

Bobby Whitlock just posted his thoughts on the deluxe 50th set on his channel last night. He's looking forward to hearing the sessions and what he and the other musicians were doing during those dates, 50 years later! He also says, and had said previously, that George's sessions were among the best musical experiences he's had in his life. They had freedom to add to and shape the songs after George ran down the basic ideas, it was more of a democracy than a strictly-arranged process where they had to read specific parts and the like. Some of Bobby's more prominent contributions across the whole album were things that just happened organically, like his playing the Wurlitzer on the upbeats during "What Is Life" that gave it a crazy cool groove in between everyone else. And he has also said repeatedly that Jim Gordon's drum tracks on the album were stellar, just top-notch rock drumming coming from the LA Wrecking Crew scene into the UK. 

The reason why so much material still exists from the studio sessions is because they were rolling tape constantly during the sessions. Whether this was Spector's idea, as he did the same thing at Gold Star in case a musician happened to play a great idea and it would be available on tape to use or remind them, or whether it was George's, or a combination, they captured everything on tape. And not much later, Bobby suggested they do the same thing on the Layla album sessions in Florida, which is why so much of the session tape for that album was available for its own deluxe edition box sets.

It's good they offer different variations of the re-release. Granted, the deluxe edition is pricey, and naturally listening to raw sessions is not everyone's cup of tea. But for musicians like me, that's the stuff I live for. This specific era, I think, was nearing the end of that kind of record making in the studio. Soon everything got separated and isolated. There were not as many "live" sessions where you could hear the chatter and the interplay between musicians. Specifically on this project, if I have the chance to hear such stellar musicians as Harrison, Clapton, Whitlock, Preston, Starr, Voorman, White, Gordon, Radle, Bobby Keys and Jim Price, Brooker, Drake, the Badfinger guys and others creating and shaping George's ideas into fully realized songs, I'm all in. I think it's awesome they make this available, and again it wouldn't be long after this era that such recording methods and fly-on-the-wall journal tapes of the sessions would be phased out in favor of pure isolation of tracks.

To clarify one of the earlier points I posted, one of the credits in question was Gary Wright, who has apparently claimed much more credit for various keyboards on ATMP than he actually played.

And for those wondering why they both recorded and released the jams as part of the original album, the jams were a chance to get all the musicians comfortable with each other when things first got underway. A pretty brilliant way to get musicians who for the most part had not played together all that much (minus the core band who had played with Delaney and Bonnie) relaxed and tuned into how each other carried a groove. I guess George liked the results so much he decided to make it into another LP in the set. Some think it was unnecessary to include them alongside the original songs, which are strong enough as is, but again consider having that much talent just kicking into gear and jamming and it becomes worthwhile listening to how f**king good these guys could play off the cuff and unrehearsed.

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2021, 05:25:04 PM »

Thanks GF2002 for those posts -- I've watched a lot of those Bobby Whitlock videos.  Fascinating and yeah he seems like the real deal.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2021, 09:05:58 PM »

Bobby Whitlock just released a new video about All Things Must Pass, and it's fantastic news. Long overdue. Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui2VSY6OTXI

So Bobby had not posted for about a week, and I and others who follow him were wondering what was going on. It turns out - and you'll see it in the video - the Harrison estate through their administrator David Zonshine *finally* had a conversation with Bobby after the right connections were made. They sent Bobby the tracks so he could listen through all the sessions, and Bobby literally may be the only one alive who was there almost constantly throughout the recording sessions and can identify who played on which tracks. Their archivist is also going to reach out to Bobby and information will be taken down to go into the Beatles archives as well.

This is HUGE. I'll preach the gospel all night long about those who create these sets and those who archive the history needing to talk to Bobby Whitlock, because he knows what happened. And, he can fix any errors or fill in any gaps that exist in the information.

I don't know why he wasn't contacted before. It's a damn crime, really, to be compiling a comprehensive set on albums like ATMP and to go with information that is either shoddy or incomplete when you have a guy who was a witness to all of it and who has a crystal-clear memory not being contacted.

So at least that ball is rolling now, and all of these claims some are making about playing certain things on the album can be clarified and fixed where necessary. And, instead of just saying "we don't know" who played certain tracks, they now have a guy who can fill in the missing gaps of info. Finally!

Bobby went through and listened to all the tracks they sent him and took notes, so he reviews some of them here but suggests more is coming, and probably even more once he connects with the archivist and talks through all of the information.

It's fascinating stuff, even if you're not a major fan of the album to buy the deluxe edition, this kind of thing makes you even more of a fan and it's life-affirming stuff, especially for musicians and music lovers.

It's good to see the facts prevail and the right people getting involved in projects like this.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2021, 04:42:39 AM »

Don't you mean Stig O Hara's All Things Must Rut?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2021, 07:38:09 AM »

And...just like that...the long video Bobby posted about All Things Must Pass which I linked to a few days ago got pulled down, along with a short clip appearing on the channel saying Bobby was asked to pull it down. Hopefully there is a valid reason for that, and not more shenanigans as we've seen way too many of in the world of Beach Boys history and the reporting thereof.

Anyway it was a cool video while it lasted, and if you go to his channel you'll find more history on ATMP that hasn't yet been taken down and hopefully never will be removed.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2021, 09:59:15 AM »

This is getting very interesting. In the past hour, Bobby posted this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUiC3MFMcQ0

And that video was recorded *before* the one that was taken down on the orders of someone or something that still hasn't been revealed. Speculation is that it was the Harrison estate or an interest connected to the box set itself, but speculation is just that until the truth comes out.

It's very odd how all of these issues are coming up now - I've been following Bobby's channel and enjoying his videos immensely, and all of a sudden the ATMP deluxe box is coming out and someone is putting in violation notices to YouTube or sending demands to remove Bobby's videos where he talks about who played what on the sessions and tries to correct information that is not accurate about those credits. Something he said obviously upset someone involved with either the Harrison estate or those who are involved in the box, or maybe it's as simple as naming a name.

But holy crap, for those who always think the "drama" is somehow more present in the world of the Beach Boys, this shows it reaches all levels and behind the scenes scenarios.

I'm just posting this for fans of the album and those who want to know more, and again I'd encourage any of those fans to check out Bobby's channel and videos. You'll see a whole new perspective on the ATMP sessions, you'll hear information (i.e. 'facts') which are not being noted in the history of the album and its credits, and you'll see a genuinely good guy talking to his fans and basically telling it like it is without taking any personal shots or disparaging people where he would have every right to do so. But he's not that kind of person.

Check it out, it's quite a backstory developing around that box set the way it would seem.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2021, 12:05:52 PM »

Disclaimer: I have not heard the remix/remaster yet. But the reviews are starting to come out. And a review from someone who was actually involved in the recording of the album is one of the most bluntly honest, straight-shooting commentaries I've seen in a long time. Bobby Whitlock, via his YouTube channel. One thing about Bobby is that he's honest, upfront, and calls 'em as he sees 'em. And in this case Bobby is more upset than I've ever seen him, and from his perspective I can see why. Other reviewers have said the same things more or less - If you're a long-time fan and listeners of the original work, the new remix strips away a lot of the vibe and character that was present in those grooves. Some instrumental parts are buried entirely if not muted, and the hallmarks of the original mixes including effects like echo and reverb are gone, and the vocals do not sit into the mix the same way without them.

This was not the case with the previous remix/remaster. What I hear from others is the dreaded "boost the bass" and "compress the living sh*t out of it" marching orders seemed to win the day. Done, of course, to appeal to the "young listeners"...

So anyway, here's Bobby's reaction to the vinyl edition which was sent to him. It's worth watching too just to hear how many different ways a legendary musician can say "this sucks" using different phrases. My favorites are when he comes right out and says "It's fuckin' awful.", "I've heard some drunk stuff in nightclubs that sounds better than this.", "the worst sh*t I ever heard", and "It was so bad that it hurts."

And this is coming from a legendary and respected musician who was there and actively involved with the project. The A/B reference he used for comparing the new version to the old was an original vinyl copy of the set given to him by George Harrison himself, 50 years ago.

I'm sad to hear this, and Bobby is not the only one saying it, although some are less upfront in voicing their disappointment.

I'd get it if they had an outtakes and sessions only set, minus the remaster/remix at this point. I don't know how much of this rewriting history on a classic album such as this I could take, hearing the mixes reimagined and rejiggered to this degree.

Bobby and Coco's review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soM5B6q39Ls
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 12:07:03 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2021, 03:15:11 PM »

More than anything, they come across as bitter and disrespectful. I hope George Harrison fans will make up their own minds about the remix (assuming they are interested in remixes to begin with).

Every wave is new until it breaks.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2021, 06:45:55 AM »

More than anything, they come across as bitter and disrespectful. I hope George Harrison fans will make up their own minds about the remix (assuming they are interested in remixes to begin with).

It would definitely look that way to people hearing the commentary. But if I were in Bobby's shoes, I'd be bitter too. He's not being disrespectful to George, personally, at all. He doesn't like the way they changed the entire sound of the album. I'd argue George himself had nothing to do with this project or this remix.

Keep in mind Bobby himself was right there in the belly of the beast when this album was being made. Not only did George originally call Clapton and Bobby to assemble the core band, which they did, but Bobby was also dating George's sister in law, and was on the scene both staying at Clapton's house originally and staying at Harrison's Friar Park for a time.

What I hope comes out in the various histories is how George was looking for a specific sound and vibe on ATMP, that blend of country, Memphis soul/R&B, and Gospel music which he had been enamored with and had been a part of with Delaney & Bonnie just prior to starting this solo project. At that time, that particular hybrid sound that borrowed hallmarks of each genre without being an all-out copy was fairly new, and even though commercially Delaney and Bonnie were not big sellers, their sound was very influential on other musicians. And when you get Clapton, Harrison, Dave Mason, the Memphis Horns, and the other musicians like Keltner and Jim Gordon wanting to play with them, there was definitely something unique going on.

Three major projects that sprung from the Delaney and Bonnie band which George played shows with were Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs & Englishmen, George's ATMP project, and Derek & The Dominoes. It's a direct line from one to the next.

And Bobby was an original member of D&B before the superstars joined. It's no accident the core musicians in Delaney and Bonnie's band are on the majority of George's album. The other core players were musicians he had known going back to 1960, like Klaus, Ringo, Billy Preston, etc. And the rest were more recent friends.

So there's Bobby, a musician who was in all of this activity and very close to George both professionally and personally at this time, and someone who was in the control room listening to session playbacks with George as they shaped the songs, and prior who George had played the rough versions of the songs to on guitar one-on-one, hearing this remake and remix of the album, and being disappointed to the point of anger when he hears a totally different sound with instruments buried and missing entirely, after being there with the creators of the music when the tracks were being laid down originally, and knows exactly who played what on the sessions. 

I'd be pissed too.

And I'd be even more pissed when various histories for years have said "we just don't know who played what on these sessions..." and incorrect credits were published or claimed, and here's Bobby waving both his hands in the air saying "I know exactly who played on this stuff, why don't you ask me!". The various parties went about researching and writing what they wanted to write, crediting who they wanted to credit whether correct or not, and no one contacted one of the last few surviving musicians who was there and has the info to share during all of this. That's not right.

Absolutely fans can make up their own minds when they hear it, and they should, but ultimately it isn't what the original album sounded like or was supposed to sound like, and if the new remixes replace the originals in terms of fans new and old buying and knowing a definitive version, I don't think that's right either.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2021, 06:43:44 PM »

George repeatedly expressed his dissatisfaction with the sound of ATMP. He did so both privately and publicly. His dislike for reverb and preference for a dry, vocal-forward sound can be heard in most of his latter-day recordings. It only makes sense that Dani, whom he worked with intimately in recording Brainwashed, in reissuing ATMP in 2000, and in co-writing his last released song, would supervise a remix that fulfilled his father’s intentions. And I trust Dani more than a former session musician in communicating George’s wishes to his audience.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2021, 10:14:13 PM »

George repeatedly expressed his dissatisfaction with the sound of ATMP. He did so both privately and publicly. His dislike for reverb and preference for a dry, vocal-forward sound can be heard in most of his latter-day recordings. It only makes sense that Dani, whom he worked with intimately in recording Brainwashed, in reissuing ATMP in 2000, and in co-writing his last released song, would supervise a remix that fulfilled his father’s intentions. And I trust Dani more than a former session musician in communicating George’s wishes to his audience.
I don't doubt that Whitlock's reaction is partially due to his videos being taken down.
On the other hand, I haven't been pleased with Dani and Olivia's treatment of George's catalog.
Every few years, they give us a new version of ATMP, while they ignore the rest of his catalog.
Back around the time of that George biopic, we got an album Early Takes, Volume 1. Very nice, but brief collection of demos and studio warmups of mostly ATMP material. Never Got a volume 2.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2021, 06:34:54 PM »

Consider that Bobby at the time ATMP was being made was more than a session musician per se, that's why I tried to outline some of the background he had within that inner circle in a recent post above. If it were one of the other players like Alan White, or the late Bobby Keys...then yes, they were hired to play on the tracks as session musicians. But what should be considered is that Bobby was living with Clapton at the time, had dated George's sister in law, had spent time staying at Friar Park at George's invitation, and was one of the musicians who not only was there listening to George run through the rough songs before anyone heard them in some cases, but was also in the control room discussing the arrangements and overall sound of the tracks with George as they listened back. He also got the call from George, with Clapton, to assemble a core band when George was going for specific feels and grooves as he had heard while playing with Bobby and the gang in Delaney & Bonnie and Friends, which was a big inspiration on the way ATMP unfolded.

I'm not trying to knock anyone, but when you have someone who was there and not only playing on the tracks but was also living a life inside the Harrison-Clapton circle at this time, I'd consider him a pretty key source...and again not a knock, but this was before Dhani and Olivia were in the picture. Would the term be "primary source"? I just think he should have been consulted earlier, just my opinion, so yes I can understand why some would think there is a bitterness there. But it also is someone who was there as the album was being made, above and beyond being a hired gun musician, giving his opinions.

And consider too that Bobby said George knew exactly what he was doing and what he wanted when he hired Spector to work the project. If he didn't want what Spector brought to the table, which was his "Wall Of Sound" with heavy reverb and echo, he wouldn't have hired him and kept him on the job until completion. If in retrospect George didn't like some of the Wall on certain songs, that's fine to look back and rethink those decisions. But at the time, those sounds are what George wanted from Phil, and Phil delivered. And those sounds, again whether George later thought some were overblown or unnecessary, are what made the album a legend for millions of listeners.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 06:36:28 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2021, 10:36:01 PM »

Disclaimer: I have not heard the remix/remaster yet. But the reviews are starting to come out. And a review from someone who was actually involved in the recording of the album is one of the most bluntly honest, straight-shooting commentaries I've seen in a long time. Bobby Whitlock, via his YouTube channel. One thing about Bobby is that he's honest, upfront, and calls 'em as he sees 'em. And in this case Bobby is more upset than I've ever seen him, and from his perspective I can see why. Other reviewers have said the same things more or less - If you're a long-time fan and listeners of the original work, the new remix strips away a lot of the vibe and character that was present in those grooves. Some instrumental parts are buried entirely if not muted, and the hallmarks of the original mixes including effects like echo and reverb are gone, and the vocals do not sit into the mix the same way without them.

This was not the case with the previous remix/remaster. What I hear from others is the dreaded "boost the bass" and "compress the living sh*t out of it" marching orders seemed to win the day. Done, of course, to appeal to the "young listeners"...

So anyway, here's Bobby's reaction to the vinyl edition which was sent to him. It's worth watching too just to hear how many different ways a legendary musician can say "this sucks" using different phrases. My favorites are when he comes right out and says "It's fuckin' awful.", "I've heard some drunk stuff in nightclubs that sounds better than this.", "the worst sh*t I ever heard", and "It was so bad that it hurts."

And this is coming from a legendary and respected musician who was there and actively involved with the project. The A/B reference he used for comparing the new version to the old was an original vinyl copy of the set given to him by George Harrison himself, 50 years ago.

I'm sad to hear this, and Bobby is not the only one saying it, although some are less upfront in voicing their disappointment.

I'd get it if they had an outtakes and sessions only set, minus the remaster/remix at this point. I don't know how much of this rewriting history on a classic album such as this I could take, hearing the mixes reimagined and rejiggered to this degree.

Bobby and Coco's review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soM5B6q39Ls

The video has been marked Private. Not able to view.

I just got my box today.  Don’t care about the remix. Excited about the demos and alternate takes and songs that didn’t make the album.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx