gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:47:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is there a BB reunion?  (Read 3708 times)
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: September 01, 2006, 05:57:34 AM »

I've heard conflicting reports recently that there will indeed be a BB reunion (someone in Virgin Megastore said there is a reunion for the Pet Sounds shows), pardon my ignorance, but I knew of no such thing, is it possible?

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 06:01:14 AM »

In a recent Interview Bruce said "NO, the reunion already happened on the rooftop". But I guess Bruce is the last one(of the BBs) to know if a reunion happens. I doubt it, but I would like to have "The Beach Boys" end with a big event.

BTW we have a big thread about that, just search for "Beach Boys reunion" or something

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 12:55:15 PM »

I sur eas hell hope not, unless Carl and Dennis somehow make it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 01:09:04 PM »

I sur eas hell hope not, unless Carl and Dennis somehow make it.

Even when everyone was still alive it was perfectly normal for the Beach Boys to do shows with just 3 or 4 official members and it was never a problem. So I don't see why it should be a problem now.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 02:53:17 PM »

I doubt it.  Mike Love seems too bitter, and you'd think he'd be the most in favor of it.   Plus, there's the Al Jardine problem, whatever that is.  And after having finally read Peter Ames Carlin's fine book, I don't think Melinda Wilson wants it, either.  And if Melinda doesn't want it, then Brian won't want it.  But stranger things have happened.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 02:58:59 PM »

Well, Brian seemed quite open for it and so did Al and Mike but Mike and Brian also mentioned that they "got some tough management" (maybe Melinda?)
Brian sent Mike a song to write lyrics for but I don't know what happened to that.

On the other hand, Mike said he and Al still don't get along too well (hm Al seemed not to know about that in the rooftop-videos)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 03:00:55 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 10:02:13 AM »

Just watch.. that thing at UCLA or whatever that's supposed to be Brian performing Pet Sounds with his band.. it's actually the Beach Boys and they've all been putting the wool over our eyes.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 10:16:11 AM »

I believe it will be up to Brian and his "team".  I don't think it matters what any of the other Beach Boys want. If Brian really wants to reunite, and can convince Melinda, David Leaf, his doctors, et al that he can handle it/them, you'd be amazed at how fast everybody else jumps on the bandwagon.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 05:15:40 AM »

I believe it will be up to Brian and his "team".  I don't think it matters what any of the other Beach Boys want. If Brian really wants to reunite, and can convince Melinda, David Leaf, his doctors, et al that he can handle it/them, you'd be amazed at how fast everybody else jumps on the bandwagon.

Brian wants to work with Mike and Mike wants to work with Brian, so I hope they do, but on the other hand Mike is happy for Brian's pursuing his solo career and Brian is happy Mike is carrying on the Beach Boy touring.  Al wants a reunion and Brian and Mike seem to be happy for his solo career but I don't know what else. I don't think any one of them is holding a trump card.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 08:29:06 AM »

Brian wants to work with Mike and Mike wants to work with Brian, so I hope they do, but on the other hand Mike is happy for Brian's pursuing his solo career and Brian is happy Mike is carrying on the Beach Boy touring.  Al wants a reunion and Brian and Mike seem to be happy for his solo career but I don't know what else. I don't think any one of them is holding a trump card.

Brian wants to work with Mike, and Mike wants to work with Brian. That might be true, but can either of them convince Brian's "team" that it won't be a step back - artistically and psychologically - for Brian?

Mike says that he's happy for Brian's pursuing a solo career. You don't believe that do you? It has been killing Mike for almost two decades now to see Brian releasing Beach Boys-like solo albums, and now touring with a setlist similar to Mike's. Mike has been totally frustrated, first by Landy and now by Melinda/the team, to not be able to work with Brian.

Brian is happy Mike is carrying on the Beach Boys touring. I'll bet he is. Mike tours consistently, people buy tickets, people buy more Beach Boys' records - Brian stays home, Brian gets check.

Al wants a reunion. He better. It must be humbling (however, maybe artistically rewarding) to play before a couple of hundred people every couple of months as Al Jardine & The Endless Summer Band, when you used to be a part of one of the greatest bands in rock and roll history.

I think Brian holds the trump card. Always did and always will. There might be some conditions attached to the next "agreement", however. Mike learned his lesson with the previous Brian Wilson debacles of the the mid/late 1970's. Brian can not be trusted anymore - artistically. Brian will decide IF and WHEN the Beach Boys reunite, but Mike will have his say HOW.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 10:23:42 AM »

Brian wants to work with Mike, and Mike wants to work with Brian. That might be true, but can either of them convince Brian's "team" that it won't be a step back - artistically and psychologically - for Brian?

Mike says that he's happy for Brian's pursuing a solo career. You don't believe that do you? It has been killing Mike for almost two decades now to see Brian releasing Beach Boys-like solo albums, and now touring with a setlist similar to Mike's. Mike has been totally frustrated, first by Landy and now by Melinda/the team, to not be able to work with Brian.

Brian is happy Mike is carrying on the Beach Boys touring. I'll bet he is. Mike tours consistently, people buy tickets, people buy more Beach Boys' records - Brian stays home, Brian gets check.

Al wants a reunion. He better. It must be humbling (however, maybe artistically rewarding) to play before a couple of hundred people every couple of months as Al Jardine & The Endless Summer Band, when you used to be a part of one of the greatest bands in rock and roll history.

I think Brian holds the trump card. Always did and always will. There might be some conditions attached to the next "agreement", however. Mike learned his lesson with the previous Brian Wilson debacles of the the mid/late 1970's. Brian can not be trusted anymore - artistically. Brian will decide IF and WHEN the Beach Boys reunite, but Mike will have his say HOW.

OK, I disagree.  Apparently they all would like to have a reunion inspite of roadblocks but I don't see Brian or his participation as any sort of roadblock.  I think the rest of the group has been very used to no Brian participation for decades and it is not [and probably hasn't been for a very, very long time] a trump card to them. IMO it shouldn't be, whoever wants to do it should and whoever doesn't shouldn't, no harm no fowl.  I'd like to see them all do it by mutual consent, management be damned.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 10:47:00 AM »

Cam, don't misunderstand me. I agree with most of what you are saying. I do think that ALL of the guys want a reunion. Maybe I didn't clarify what I meant by Brian being the "trump card".

You're right, the Beach Boys are/were used to goin' on (pun intended) without Brian for decades. But that was just business as usual. They still had Carl, Dennis, and Al.  And most people still considered them to be the The Beach Boys.

Now the issue is a reunion, not business as usual. And Carl, Dennis, and Al aren't around anymore. Although millions of fans still enjoy Mike and Bruce concerts, the number of people who consider them The Beach Boys are dwindling. Yeah, Al or Dave rejoining the band would be a step in the right direction. Would the majority of fans attending the shows even notice? It might get a paragraph or two in Rolling Stone. Or 37 pages on this board. police  However, for it to be a legitimate reunion (at least as legimate as possible), Brian Wilson is essential. Without him, there will be no true reunion. He holds the trump card.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 11:50:50 AM »

Cam, don't misunderstand me. I agree with most of what you are saying. I do think that ALL of the guys want a reunion. Maybe I didn't clarify what I meant by Brian being the "trump card".

You're right, the Beach Boys are/were used to goin' on (pun intended) without Brian for decades. But that was just business as usual. They still had Carl, Dennis, and Al.  And most people still considered them to be the The Beach Boys.

Now the issue is a reunion, not business as usual. And Carl, Dennis, and Al aren't around anymore. Although millions of fans still enjoy Mike and Bruce concerts, the number of people who consider them The Beach Boys are dwindling. Yeah, Al or Dave rejoining the band would be a step in the right direction. Would the majority of fans attending the shows even notice? It might get a paragraph or two in Rolling Stone. Or 37 pages on this board. police  However, for it to be a legitimate reunion (at least as legimate as possible), Brian Wilson is essential. Without him, there will be no true reunion. He holds the trump card.

Denny and Carl sadly aren't available for a reunion, in the past the touring has gone on without whoever was unavailable.

I don't know if we are agreeing or disagreeing but Brian no more holds that trump card than Mike or Al [or David?], anyone one of them could prevent a "legitimate" reunion so either all of them hold the trump or none of them hold the trump card imo.  The group is more than the individuals maybe?

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 12:56:59 PM »

Outside of hardcore Beach Boys fans, how much of the rest of world is even aware that surviving Beach Boys are thinking about performing together or even know who Al Jardine, David Marks, and Bruce Johnston are?

Is there even an audience for a Beach Boys reunion? I think the people that attend Mike and Bruce shows are probably for the most part white trash retards who want to hear Surfing USA.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 01:59:27 PM »

Outside of hardcore Beach Boys fans, how much of the rest of world is even aware that surviving Beach Boys are thinking about performing together or even know who Al Jardine, David Marks, and Bruce Johnston are?

Is there even an audience for a Beach Boys reunion? I think the people that attend Mike and Bruce shows are probably for the most part white trash retards who want to hear Surfing USA.

I kinda agree. Until '99 it was somethign special to see Brian Wilson live for many people and the only time with a good chance you would see him live was with the Beach Boys. But now he is touring so maybe some people outside Beach Boys-Fans aren't interested anymore.
But I think with the right promotion it would sell. There are a lot of fans who want to see a reunion for one gig. So, this one concert would probably sell out very easily. Bruce said he told Al that a TV-special would be a good thing. i don't know but probably better than what Mike has in mind, a stadium-concert with guest stars; he mentioned this in an interview.

- Jack Rieley
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2006, 02:00:59 PM »

Hey mentally handicapped person...it's SURFIN' U.S.A.!! Surfing...what are you British or literate or something?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2006, 02:46:59 PM »

I still can't see Mike being interested. A reunion deal could last a few shows or a summer tour max, and I see no reason why Mike would want to draw attention to how lame the Mike and Bruce band is personal wise. Afterall, it will be back to the current formula once it's done. Also the interest will be not much more than it is now and why should he split the take five ways when he now has the whole pie?
I heard "You're So Vain" by Carly Simon yesterday and I still think the guys could do some kind of novelty tune using a "once clean cut,now we are old, hate each other's gut's" kind of theme. Get weird Al Yankovich to write it, Mike could throw in some lines from his Hall of Fame speech, and you may have something. Now THAT would be a great reunion of sorts. Heck, they don't even have to be in the studio together.
The time has come for them to lighten up IMO and not take themselves so seriously.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2006, 06:49:00 PM »

I still can't see Mike being interested. A reunion deal could last a few shows or a summer tour max, and I see no reason why Mike would want to draw attention to how lame the Mike and Bruce band is personal wise. Afterall, it will be back to the current formula once it's done.

Maybe, maybe not. It could lead to something more. It's possible that the guys could really get along, maybe even enjoy each other's company. And that could lead to something else, maybe recording together.

I really believe that if the guys decide to do something, that they'll realize it's probably their last chance to work together, and they would go into it with a different frame of mind. I'm probably wrong, but I hope they learned something from their mistakes, and and age 60+, would be able to handle the potential road blocks that sidetracked them in the past.

As for Mike not being interested, this is the one area where I'm going to dig my feet in and not budge. I believe Mike wants nothing more in his life than to simply be in Brian Wilson's company, whether it be performing live, composing music, or simply hanging out. Not that Mike isn't doing a good job touring, but I believe he is kind of bored with it, and would give just about anything to stand on stage with Brian Wilson. I will beat the dead horse again - I believe Mike has been terribly frustrated for decades now at not being able to work with Brian...
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx