gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:19:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian and Pacific Ocean Blue  (Read 1766 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2020, 05:07:01 PM »

It was discussed in another thread that Brian stated in an interview a few years ago that he'd never heard Pacific Ocean Blue and was unaware of the LP.  As I stated, this simply is not true.  I decided to look through some my files for his contemporary comments and found a few things. In a 1977 Hit Parader Interview Brian excitedly asked the interviewer if he'd heard Dennis's upcoming album and was satisfied when the interviewer said that he knew all about it and had even interviewed Dennis. In a 1977 interview by Marilyn Beck Dennis stated that (far from being unaware of the record) Brian had advised him on the record.  In Brian's Nov 1976 interview with Pete Fornatele Brian stated about the then yet to be released POB "It's good. I heard some of the cuts down at the studio between the Beach Boys sessions...He played it and I said, "Dennis, that's funky. That's Funkee!!!"
Join The Human Race
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 07:31:53 PM »

Thanks for doing that dig and giving evidence to the contrary about Brian and POB. Brian also mentioned River Song in the 1976 Bob Harris interview.

We all know Brian won't talk about stuff he doesn't want to talk about and that talking about Dennis is not easy for him. I think that's why he doesn't like Forever because he gets sad. Brian has also said during this time period that he doesn't remember much; he claims he doesn't even remember anything from M.I.U. I'm not sure if that's a cop out answer from Brian because that time brings back bad memories or that he really can not forget this time period due to substance abuse.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 01:19:07 PM »

Here's the thing...in Brian's book (that is, the one he actually DID have a hand in writing), he said he never actually listened to Pacific Ocean Blue *itself*, but that he heard all the music from it at various times, seeming to jibe with the above posts, mainly because Dennis had been working on it on and off for a long time, so Brian got to hear it as it was unfolding.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 05:32:22 PM »

I suppose it is possible but unlikely. I can’t prove otherwise. It is odd considering what a cheerleader for Dennis and Carl that Brian was.  He made a point of going to Carl’s solo show at the Roxy fo example in 1981
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 03:28:52 PM »

Brian did allude to it here....even :sang a few bars of The River Song:

https://youtu.be/Tn9nLxUAAmI?t=397
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx