gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:28:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's role in the live band during the "Brian's Back" era (76-78)  (Read 8677 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2020, 11:46:33 AM »

Those points could have been a factor, and I also think the title itself may have been appealing as something to put out into the disco scene whose lyric content overall was a majority of songs that mentioned dancing the night away. "Night Fever" being perhaps my favorite example although there are many.

But it's the formula aspect of this BB's track that really sours me. It's like they made a list of all the elements of a disco production and threw them all into this track, but it came out sounding like a collection of disco sonic trademarks homogenized into one long-ass track. Listen to it and it's literally every disco sound or sonic gimmick thrown into that mix, including the infamous bongo/conga drum break with the monkeys shrieking. I refer to productions like this as "Diet Pepsi" productions. Or the difference between Burger King and a real burger in terms of food comparisons.

I still come back to the lack of songwriting despite having multiple writers in the band as an issue. It's the same thing that dogged them after Kokomo became a fluke soundtrack hit. The songwriters in the band could never follow that up, in fact they could barely eke out a full album of original material without relying on the same remake and cover formula yet again. It's surprising to me how little original material came from the songwriters in the band minus Brian or Dennis at those times they needed original hit-quality material.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2020, 02:49:13 PM »

Those fucking monkeys...the rest of the song could be Pet Sounds quality but that section would ruin anything

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2020, 06:31:23 PM »

There was a 12 inch single of the Kinks' "(Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman", and the bass drum is definitely up in the mix there, but the track still rocks. It doesn't sound radically different from other Kinks recordings of that era. Ray Davies said he took Mick Avory's tom tom away, just had him play snare, bass and hi-hat through the song. I think it's a great performance.
There was a disco mix of the Rolling Stones' "Miss You"; i never bought the 12 inch, but here in the NW, it seems to be the standard version now.
Wings did "Goodnight Tonight", a very percussive track, but it didn't sound like a sell out to disco. Paul McCartney was likely to come up just about any kind of song in those days - i guess "Silly Love Songs" could be called disco, too.
HCTN turned off a lot of BB's fans because it sounded like a formula disco record, with no traces of the BB's sound other than the vocals. It's not a bad record, though. The single version was all they needed to include on LA. That would have made it their best album since Holland.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2020, 11:22:15 PM »

That version of Surf’s Up sounded like Pink Floyd. Badass. I have a confession...I’ve never liked Carl’s vocal on the album. I would’ve loved if this was the version released

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2020, 08:08:01 PM »

I'll be that guy and say that HCTN-disco has always been one of my favorite BBs tracks. I agree with criticisms that it unbalances L.A. (though I loved it at the time) but I think it kicks ass.

It's a much edgier track than I think people give it credit for. Consider the wooshy disco-lite of Bruce's previous entry "Pipeline" or the Celebration album (shudder). It could have easily been THAT. Instead you get one of Carl's grittiest vocals, an awesome sax solo, some truly spectacular b vox, and some relatively gritty and/or WTF elements (the ominous falsetto that underpins the progression, the urgent clavinet, the chimpanzee freaking out, the weird-ass "uh-ohs"...I mean that bit was Lindsey-worthy).

I love me some HTCN disco and although I hear the criticisms it seems like they don't do what's good about the track enough credit.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2020, 08:08:42 PM »

I'll be that guy and say that HCTN-disco has always been one of my favorite BBs tracks. I agree with criticisms that it unbalances L.A. (though I loved it at the time) but I think it kicks ass.

It's a much edgier track than I think people give it credit for. Consider the wooshy disco-lite of Bruce's previous entry "Pipeline" or the Celebration album (shudder). It could have easily been THAT. Instead you get one of Carl's grittiest vocals, an awesome sax solo, some truly spectacular b vox, and some relatively gritty and/or WTF elements (the ominous falsetto that underpins the progression, the urgent clavinet, the chimpanzee freaking out, the weird-ass "uh-ohs"...I mean that bit was Lindsey-worthy).

I love me some HTCN disco and although I hear the criticisms it seems like they don't do what's good about the track enough credit.

And meanwhile, down the street Brian was cutting his deconstruction of "Drip Drop Motherf**kers" which is also one of my favorite BBs tracks.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 11:54:24 PM by adamghost » Logged
Mr. Wilson Joliet
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2020, 08:23:08 PM »

I think HCTN, along with Student Demonstration Time for that matter, would have been received far better (at least nowadays) if they were only released as singles. In both cases the songs could be perceived as interesting curios in Beach Boys history, acting as examples of them wholeheartedly embracing contemporary trends and styles (i.e. songs as political rallying cries and extended disco dance anthems), without having the notoriety of taking up space on albums in which they're very ill-fitting.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2020, 06:26:13 AM »

adamghost, I feel the same way about HCTN. It's an incredible record. Carl and the boys' vocals are outta sight. Such a tight production.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2020, 09:26:15 AM »

adamghost, I feel the same way about HCTN. It's an incredible record. Carl and the boys' vocals are outta sight. Such a tight production.

Yay!
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2020, 03:44:41 PM »

do we know who is actually singing on the background of HCTN disco version?
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2020, 03:48:54 PM »

I guess I should've read the entire thread
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2020, 01:03:10 AM »

The original HCTN is a stunning song. I love disco and I want to like HCTN '79 and I even agree that it's a good production but in the end it just doesn't do it for me. It sounds forced and desperate and to me it reeks of creative bankruptcy. Totally agree that they should've written a new song instead.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2020, 10:33:02 AM »

Or they could have done a disco version of "Drip Drop!"
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2020, 11:52:07 AM »

Or they could have done a disco version of "Drip Drop!"

With Brian's "mother-f**s" line mixed out of the album and 7" mixes, but left in the 12" club dub mix! With reverb added, and repeated a couple of times throughout!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2020, 10:37:13 PM »

"Matchpoint of Our Love" could have made a semi-decent disco song I think.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2020, 12:51:30 AM »

I think it should’ve been the single personally.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2020, 08:09:35 AM »

Truthfully, had it been a properly-promoted single, it could have been at least a moderate hit. Same with "She's Got Rhythm". Of course, the record company didn't give a rat's ass about them by then, so they threw out "Peggy Sue" as the single, probably because "Rock And Roll Music" had been a hit for them, and this was another golden oldie cover, so why not.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2020, 08:17:58 AM »

Truthfully, had it been a properly-promoted single, it could have been at least a moderate hit. Same with "She's Got Rhythm". Of course, the record company didn't give a rat's ass about them by then, so they threw out "Peggy Sue" as the single, probably because "Rock And Roll Music" had been a hit for them, and this was another golden oldie cover, so why not.

But it's a great version of the Buddy Holly classic. I'm not surprised that it wasn't a big hit, but I love that recording

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2020, 10:50:59 AM »

It's funny because "Come Go With Me" actually was a substantial hit...three years later!

Had they put it out in '78 with "Matchpoint" as a follow-up, sure...coulda worked.

The Beach Boys actually DID have a hit in '78...with "Almost Summer", but Celebration did the final recording. Many blown opportunities in '78 it would seem.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2020, 06:03:15 PM »

To get back to the original topic, anyone with an interest in this subject needs to hear the Seattle show from 12/13/77.  Brian is playing bass fairly well and is singing a lot of parts for better or worse.  Sometimes he nails his vocal part, sometimes his voice just isn't there anymore, and sometimes he decides to sing something completely different from the part you'd expect him to sing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ5VGqcQEwI
thr33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2020, 09:19:46 AM »

Thanks again for the responses -

Question: How many of the concerts from 76-78 have soundboard recordings? Not sure if the band would approve this, but some Brian's Back era live recordings coming out via copyright extension would be fantastic.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2020, 09:46:27 AM »

I’m going to respond really late and thank everyone for this info. I also like the disco HCTN, though I definitely think the single and album versions (not the 12” single) should have been no longer than 5 minutes at the most.

Shane, I’ll have to listen to that SB soon.

thr33, I think there’s a handful on YouTube. I may be wrong though, some might be ARs, but I just can’t remember.

adamghost, agreed fully. Couldn’t they have tried to negotiate where the two labels could have split profits for the single, and each company could have had it on an album (MIU and the soundtrack)? Also, I think I’ve seen your “was here” stickers around, if there are not two Adam Marslands.  Wink
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2020, 02:54:17 AM »

Hey, yup, those are my stickers, from my long-ago road warrior period. Nice to see they at least had some staying power!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx