gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:25:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Brian still actively recording?  (Read 9897 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2020, 02:13:02 AM »

I had asked this on another thread:
Anyone know when Brian recorded his version of Carl’s “Heaven” just made available online?

Off the top of my head, and I may be completely wrong, I feel it was either 2007 or 2008, on Carl’s birthday. Those years when Brian would release random songs right on his website were really awesome.

Speaking of "when Brian would release random songs right on his website", a couple of days ago his facebook account linked to his youtube channel which has what sounds like a soundboard or multi track recording of "O holy Night" by Blondie from one of the Christmas shows in 2018. I never heard that one before and don't believe that any professionel recordings were released from that tour, am I right? Anyway, I put that link on the "Christmas Rarities" list. Maybe not too many people saw it, so here's the link. It's under "bonus".

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25649.0.html

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2020, 01:13:24 PM »

The whole thing was recorded December 20, 2007. It was available for download the next day for Carl's birthday.

Recorded at my studio

I believe it was recently posted on Brian's website.......
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2020, 05:55:47 AM »

I doubt he's doing much work these days. Would absolutely love a new Christmas song.

I always thought the melody to "Live Let Die" would work well as a Christmas song.  Change the name to "Christmastime" (Christ-mas, Christ-mas-tiiime), add some sleigh bells, and convert the lyrics (which were fairly lousy for both versions of the song anyway) into yuletide-themed goodness and you'd have a nice track. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2021, 08:28:01 AM »

Really... the one thing I'd like more than anything from Brian and co now would be the Paley sessions released. That would make me very happy.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2021, 12:35:59 PM »

Really... the one thing I'd like more than anything from Brian and co now would be the Paley sessions released. That would make me very happy.

I think about only half of these songs circulate/have been booted.

It would be really interesting to hear the rest, to know how much involvement Brian had in the writing of each song.

My impression is that some tunes were simply Paley stuff with a Brian vocal added.

I suspect amongst the stuff that circulates are the better of them.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 12:41:23 PM by thetojo » Logged
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2021, 12:40:04 PM »

I always thought the melody to "Live Let Die" would work well as a Christmas song.  Change the name to "Christmastime" (Christ-mas, Christ-mas-tiiime), add some sleigh bells, and convert the lyrics (which were fairly lousy for both versions of the song anyway) into yuletide-themed goodness and you'd have a nice track. 

Disagree with your assessment of those lyrics - VDP is a wordsmith god!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2021, 06:19:44 PM »

I doubt he's doing much work these days. Would absolutely love a new Christmas song.

Um, I assume you mean "Live Let LIVE"...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2021, 06:45:12 PM »

For a moment I was thinking Live or Let Die....Brian doing that would’ve been interesting for sure...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2021, 05:55:39 AM »

For a moment I was thinking Live or Let Die....Brian doing that would’ve been interesting for sure...

Possibly besting the GN'R version?  Smiley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2021, 03:00:25 PM »

Easily lol

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2021, 10:10:01 AM »

I always thought the melody to "Live Let Die" would work well as a Christmas song.  Change the name to "Christmastime" (Christ-mas, Christ-mas-tiiime), add some sleigh bells, and convert the lyrics (which were fairly lousy for both versions of the song anyway) into yuletide-themed goodness and you'd have a nice track.  

Disagree with your assessment of those lyrics - VDP is a wordsmith god!

He wasn't on this song.  Either version of it.

I always thought the melody to "Live Let Die" would work well as a Christmas song.  Change the name to "Christmastime" (Christ-mas, Christ-mas-tiiime), add some sleigh bells, and convert the lyrics (which were fairly lousy for both versions of the song anyway) into yuletide-themed goodness and you'd have a nice track.  

Um, I assume you mean "Live Let LIVE"...

Yep.  That's what I meant.  I think I'm going senile...🤣
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 10:26:47 AM by Awesoman » Logged

sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2021, 10:42:45 AM »

He wrote the lyrics on both versions.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2021, 09:13:44 PM »

Yeah and the lyrics for either version really don't fit the melody in my humble opinion.  Particularly on the TLOS version.  With an infectious hook and sparkling production, why is BW singing about, of all things, whales? 

thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2021, 11:06:55 PM »

Yeah and the lyrics for either version really don't fit the melody in my humble opinion.  Particularly on the TLOS version.  With an infectious hook and sparkling production, why is BW singing about, of all things, whales? 

Could it be because he cares about the environment and animal welfare?

He has a history of writing and singing about issues he cares about.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx