gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:40:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Brian still actively recording?  (Read 9896 times)
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2020, 12:40:45 PM »

Anyone know?
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 03:10:07 PM »

Anyone know?

Brian probably does.

saborlord123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 07:34:03 PM »

It's a good question... who even knows if he is still writing!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 06:49:27 PM »

Let's ask him.
I'm sure he's working on that rock and roll album.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 02:54:45 AM »

Well, there was supposed to be a new solo album out by Blondie Chaplin this year (?) and IIRC Brian is on it. Don't know about any more recent activity. My guess is that he probably is writing if he has any ideas (because that's what he does), but since there seems to be no contract or dateline to release anything, he probably is just taking it slow. Plus I don't know how the Covid-19 rules affect recording studios. Of course it would be easy nowadays to record in different places but I don't think that's the way Brian works.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 08:31:23 AM »

There has been the odd social media post during the last few years showing him singing in the studio or something like that and I’m not sure that the outcome of all those sessions has been revealed. It does seem that he has been less active more recently though in fact I’m not sure how long ago the last post of this kind was.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 06:49:54 AM »

There has been the odd social media post during the last few years showing him singing in the studio or something like that and I’m not sure that the outcome of all those sessions has been revealed. It does seem that he has been less active more recently though in fact I’m not sure how long ago the last post of this kind was.

I mean the guy is pushing 80 and he's been looking pretty frail these days.  No idea if he's even working on anything but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.   

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 08:53:48 AM »

Pretty sure he did some recording for the upcoming documentary. A few songs at least.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 10:27:40 AM »

Pretty sure he did some recording for the upcoming documentary. A few songs at least.

A cover of Long Promised Road was confirmed, but it is probably a few years old at this point.
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 01:12:06 PM »

I assume that was related to the parts Brian recorded for Kesha, Janelle Monae, and perhaps the Long Promised Road documentary.

I think Brian has pretty much retired from recording his own new stuff and the completion of "Run James Run" was sort of a farewell to that kind of thing.

Apparently there was a definitive "no" to any new BB reunion recording.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 07:34:07 PM »

A cover of Long Promised Road was confirmed, but it is probably a few years old at this point.

I thought Honeycomb was also discussed, or if not at least it was mentioned that Brian plays it during the documentary.
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 07:42:31 PM »

For the Long Promised Road doc, Brian recorded covers of Honeycomb, I Hear You Knockin', Johnny B. Goode, and Long Promised Road, the latter with Blondie Chaplin and Jim James from My Morning Jacket. I assume they're waiting for the documentary to be released. According to the director, Brian and Jim James also cowrote a song and sing it together on the recording.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 01:26:19 AM »

For the Long Promised Road doc, Brian recorded covers of Honeycomb, I Hear You Knockin', Johnny B. Goode, and Long Promised Road, the latter with Blondie Chaplin and Jim James from My Morning Jacket. I assume they're waiting for the documentary to be released. According to the director, Brian and Jim James also cowrote a song and sing it together on the recording.

Really?! I didn't know that. Have those been confirmed. Now there's some of Brian's idea of a Rock'n'Roll album right there.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 02:32:27 AM »

I doubt he's doing much work these days. Would absolutely love a new Christmas song.
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2020, 05:30:00 AM »

Can’t wait to hear Honeycomb, that’s a tune that’s been kicking around since the days of Spring! And I Hear You Knockin is a great song, Dave Edmunds became a favorite of mine when he covered it!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2020, 08:17:11 AM »

I doubt he's doing much work these days. Would absolutely love a new Christmas song.

There are obviously many, many Christmas songs to mine, but Brian has essentially cut two albums' worth of Christmas songs in the last 20 years. The whole 2005 album, plus almost an album's worth of internet exclusive downloads and whatnot. I don't particularly need something new, unless perhaps he arranged something and had Al sing it (which might be better than the pleasant but innocuous Christmas tracks Al has cut in recent years: "Hurry Up Hurry Up Santa Claus" and "Sunshine to Snowflakes").

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2020, 08:17:32 AM »

Can’t wait to hear Honeycomb, that’s a tune that’s been kicking around since the days of Spring! And I Hear You Knockin is a great song, Dave Edmunds became a favorite of mine when he covered it!

I wonder if "I hear you knockin'" is a mix up and the actual song is "Keep a knocking". The latter one was played by Brian and his band at a couple of shows, hence my guess. But of course it's also possible that he recorded "I hear you knockin'".

- Jack Rieley
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2020, 12:04:57 PM »

Really?! I didn't know that. Have those been confirmed. Now there's some of Brian's idea of a Rock'n'Roll album right there.
Yep, the first four in ESQ and the last one by the director himself. Although he didn't offer any details other than it's a "beautiful" new song written just for the documentary.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2020, 07:58:27 PM »

There are obviously many, many Christmas songs to mine, but Brian has essentially cut two albums' worth of Christmas songs in the last 20 years. The whole 2005 album, plus almost an album's worth of internet exclusive downloads and whatnot. I don't particularly need something new, unless perhaps he arranged something and had Al sing it (which might be better than the pleasant but innocuous Christmas tracks Al has cut in recent years: "Hurry Up Hurry Up Santa Claus" and "Sunshine to Snowflakes").

He should produce Blondie singing "Oh Holy Night" - that was a highlight of their Christmas tour two years ago!
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2020, 06:54:28 PM »

I had asked this on another thread:
Anyone know when Brian recorded his version of Carl’s “Heaven” just made available online?

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2020, 01:16:52 AM »

I had asked this on another thread:
Anyone know when Brian recorded his version of Carl’s “Heaven” just made available online?

Off the top of my head, and I may be completely wrong, I feel it was either 2007 or 2008, on Carl’s birthday. Those years when Brian would release random songs right on his website were really awesome.
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2020, 05:55:01 AM »

The whole thing was recorded December 20, 2007. It was available for download the next day for Carl's birthday.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2020, 08:43:34 AM »

I remember Brian's spoken word message before the song kicks in, in which he wished people Merry Christmas and acknowledged what would have been Carl's 61st birthday.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2020, 10:11:08 AM »

Thanks! :-)

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2020, 07:55:32 PM »

The whole thing was recorded December 20, 2007. It was available for download the next day for Carl's birthday.

That explains why he sounds great on this!! It’s unfortunate that his voice has gone down over the past few years.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx