gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:40:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Music by Classic Rock Bands / Artists  (Read 1778 times)
SurfinNJ
Smiley Smile Associate

La ola es mia

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2020, 10:39:53 AM »

I'm a big fan of new music created by classic rock artists, I actually listen to their new music more than I listen to their classic albums.

Part of it, I think, is because it's new. But I think more so, its the production. I really enjoy how crisp and clear modern music is, and I love classic rock, but the old timely sound of old recordings really turns me off. I gravitate more to modern live recording of classic rock songs, so I can hear those classic tunes re-recorded. But their new music, still classic rock but with modern production, I really dig it.

I'm starting this thread to discuss albums like this. I'm looking at albums released / recorded in the 2000's by classic rock bands / artists.

Below are some albums I've already discovered and that I truly love, and I hope that if anyone else enjoys these kinds of albums, they can share their thoughts, and maybe list some albums/artists I haven't.

Note: I'm excluding live albums released in the 2000's but that were recorded prior to the 2000's, as well as compilations of material recorded prior to the 2000's.

This being a Beach Boys message board, and this being the non BB section, I won't discuss TWGMR or Brian's solo albums here, save to note that I truly love them and that Brian's Smile, Lucky Old Sun are my favorites.

Rolling Stones:

Live Licks (2004)
A Bigger Bang (2005) -This is my favorite Stones album, period. And the only one I listen to in it's entirety and often.
Shine A Light (2008)
Blue & Lonesome (2016)

In 2012 they released a greatest hits compilation that I don't have listed, but it include 2 new incredible tracks, "Doom and Gloom" and "One More Shot".

Paul McCartney:

Driving Rain (2001)
Back in the U.S. (2002)
Back in the World (2003)
Chaos and Creation in the Backyard (2005)
NEW (2013) -

I absolutely love this album, every song. I've been a Beatles fan since high school, but this album really got me into their solo material, especially Mccartney's. I remember thinking, if the Beatles were still around, this is what they'd be putting out. I'm now of the opinion that all those solo albums are Beatles albums and that they never went away.

Around this time McCartney also recorded a track with the surviving members of Nirvana, "Cut Me Some Slack" which appears on the Sound City Soundtrack and won a Grammy. Great song, and I associate it with this album because of the feel, energy, and because of the time it came out.

Egypt Station (2018)
Amoeba Gig (2019)
McCartney III (2020) - I'm counting the days for this release, very excited.

MCartney released a few more solo albums in the 2000's that I haven't listed, I excluded them because they were of a different genre (classical, traditional pop, or jazz)

Ringo Starr:

King Biscuit Flower Hour Presents Ringo & His New All-Starr Band (2002)
Ringorama (2003)
Extended Versions (2003)
Tour 2003 (2004)
Choose Love (2005)
Ringo Starr and Friends (2006)

Ringo Starr Live at Soundstage (2007) -
This is my favorite live Ringo album. It has 3 tracks from his 1973 Ringo album, including my favorite track "I'm the Greatest".

Liverpool 8 (2008)
Ringo Starr and his All-Starr Band Live (2008)
Y Not (2010)
Live at the Greek Theater 2008 (2010)
Ringo 2012 (2012) - I love the track "In Liverpool", nice Beatles nestalgia song.
Postcards From Paradise (2015)
Give More Love (2017)
What's My Name (2019)

George Harrison:
Brainwashed (2002)

The Who:

Live at the Royal Albert Hall (2003)

In 2004 the recorded 2 new songs that were included in their "Then and Now" greatest hits album; "Real Good Looking Boy" and "Old Red Wine".

Endless Wire (2006)
Quadrophenia Live in London (2014)
WHO (2019)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 10:41:35 AM by SurfinNJ » Logged

RZA
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 04:52:54 AM »

Status Quo:
In Search Of The Fourth Chord (2008)
Quid Pro Quo (2011)
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 03:24:01 PM »

I really enjoy how crisp and clear modern music is
Ugh, that's the thing I hate the most. Everything sounds so sterile these days. Old recordings sound so much softer and easier on the ear. They were good through the 90's or so, but in the last 20 years everything sounds probably 5 times clearer and more detailed than I would hear with my own ear if I were there live. That sounds like it might be a good thing, but it isn't. It makes everything sound so bloody artificial.

And don't get me started on sound compression, either.

Anyway, two classic artists whose albums I've bought recently are Paul Simon's latest album and the same for Paul McCartney's. Macca's was OK, but Simon's was a really good one.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 03:25:03 PM by SMiLE-addict » Logged
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 07:20:32 PM »

I really enjoy how crisp and clear modern music is
Ugh, that's the thing I hate the most. Everything sounds so sterile these days. Old recordings sound so much softer and easier on the ear. They were good through the 90's or so, but in the last 20 years everything sounds probably 5 times clearer and more detailed than I would hear with my own ear if I were there live. That sounds like it might be a good thing, but it isn't. It makes everything sound so bloody artificial.

And don't get me started on sound compression, either.

Anyway, two classic artists whose albums I've bought recently are Paul Simon's latest album and the same for Paul McCartney's. Macca's was OK, but Simon's was a really good one.

This is a great topic...but sadly I am someone who pretty much stopped buying anything but reissues with bonus tracks some time ago.  Brian/BBs may be the one exception.  I mean the last new Stones I bought was like "Undercover."  Not even newer Ray Davies who is right there with Brian for me.  Lou Reed, the Who, Fogerty, Elvis Costello, on and on -- my favorites whom I gave up on.  Just couldn't connect with what I did hear.

I did just remember I liked Fleetwood Mac's "Say You Will."  Big Lindsey fan.

And I don't wish to be a "good old days" guy, but I suppose I am an analog guy.  The warmth of 60s stuff mixed for AM radio any day over autotune.  And what the hell was going on in the 80s?

Again great topic!  I do want to read some more informed responses than my own.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 07:23:58 PM by Aum Bop Diddit » Logged

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 08:01:07 AM »

The Rolling Stones, Blue & Lonesome, was really good. I can't say I've listened to many of the others listed.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx