gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:09:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1997 Tour Footage w/Carl on YouTube  (Read 6329 times)
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2020, 01:21:13 PM »

Clearly Mike love doing whatever he could to exercise both Carl and Al from the band any way he could. What a classless guy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2020, 01:24:22 PM »

Which begs the question...what would’ve happened had Mike left at that point?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2020, 01:25:12 PM »

My impression was always that Carl toured as long as he possibly could. We don't have a lot of information about his final months; I probably got more information about the very end from Billy Hinsche's documentary than anywhere else.
It is still amazing to me that he sounded as good as he did on that final tour. Without the visuals, I would not have guessed anything was wrong with him.
I think the difference between his situation and Brian's is, Brian has not sounded great in several years now. Brian Wilson live has usually been a hit or miss proposition, depending on how he was feeling on any given day, but in recent years, he seems to be having more bad days than good days.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2020, 01:34:31 PM »

I think Carl actually sounded better during the 1997 tour than he had in the last two or three years prior.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2020, 01:55:02 PM »

I agree

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2020, 03:22:42 PM »

Which begs the question...what would’ve happened had Mike left at that point?

"What ifs" are always dicey. My first impulse is to say that Mike simply never would have followed through.

But if he *had* somehow, my guess is that, had everything else gone down the same (Carl leaving the tour seemingly temporarily and then his passing several months later), Mike simply would have re-appeared in the band once Carl had to leave.

The timing of that letter to BRI isn't known. Was it before or after Mike had tentatively secured David Marks to come back? Was it before or after his own company had taken over producing the live tours?

It's interesting. I'm not sure how many times Mike ever floated/threatened to leave the band over the years, but I'd say his possibly quitting early in the 2012 tour (as described in his book) was a situation where he would have had far more leverage than in 1997. In 2012, the entire marketing hinged on it being a "reunion"; one of the core four guys quitting would have caused major problems. Whereas, in 1997 the tour was kind of running itself. Could Al and Bruce and backing guys have done a BB tour? Yes, and surely they would have added a few extra people. Would that have worked long-term? Much harder to say.

Don't get me wrong, I think Mike considers himself as having such strong ownership of the BB name that I'd say most any "threat" to leave, or quit touring, etc., would be pretty empty. I don't think he'd ever willingly give it up.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2020, 04:55:03 PM »

Call me naive, but I do not believe a label or those promoting the whole 2012 package would have lifted a finger until they had 4 signatures (5 when David came onboard). The thought of Mike being permitted to ‘walk’ over something as trivial as auto tuning (as he claims) without a legal battle I find absurd given his reputation in the industry.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2020, 07:28:15 PM »

I can't imagine a touring Beach Boys band without Mike leading it.
Let's assume for a moment that Carl recovered from his illness; would Mike still have tried to kick him out of the band? What would happen then? Would Carl and Al team up as a rival Beach Boys band? Would BRI grant them the touring license instead of Mike and Bruce? Or would Carl and Al be content to tour under their own names? "Carl Wilson and Al Jardine formerly of the Beach Boys"? "An evening of Beach Boys music with Carl Wilson and Al Jardine"? Maybe we would have seen a tour starring "Beckley/Lamm/Wilson"?
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2020, 04:04:43 AM »

It was always a fantasy of mine to see a beach boy unplugged Show featuring Carl Wilson and Al Jardine two voices of The Beach Boys. Yes Mike's nasal voice is what everyone knows but Al can cover Mike leads a lot better sings much better and we all know no one's sings like Carl Wilson. An unplugged concert with Carl and Al would have been truly special. If only...
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2020, 08:32:48 AM »

Call me naive, but I do not believe a label or those promoting the whole 2012 package would have lifted a finger until they had 4 signatures (5 when David came onboard). The thought of Mike being permitted to ‘walk’ over something as trivial as auto tuning (as he claims) without a legal battle I find absurd given his reputation in the industry.

More information to weigh into the absurdity of that scenario - Mike was one-third of a 3-way legal partnership, or LLC, called "50 Big Ones" that was specifically established to administer the activities around the 50th anniversary. It was Mike, Brian, and Joe Thomas who were partners in the LLC. So let's say Mike was indeed going to "walk away" and quit due to the way his wife was treated, or autotune devices clipped onto mics, or any number of his other gripes about that tour...In order to do so fully he would have needed to legally dissolve the partnership, or LLC, and he'd be on the hook for potentially millions in lawsuits and other assorted legal claims beyond breach of contract if he were simply a contracted band member who quit. I guess a simplistic way of putting it would be any employee can quit a business any day they want, any owner or sole proprietor of a business can close the business and quit, but someone in a legal partnership, LLC situation cannot simply decide one day to quit without a lot of legal and financial ramifications from the partners and any clients/entities they are contracted to work with or for. In other words I think Mike's threats to quit or claims he was going to quit that C50 tour have to be taken with a grain of salt, if not an entire bag of salt.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2020, 04:52:33 AM »

Looks like someone posted about 30 minutes of concert footage from a pre-September 1997 Beach Boys show with Carl. As we all know, 1997 footage is pretty rare (some point out that folks might be holding back footage of Carl not doing too well, and while that's one possibility, I also think just not that many folks bothered to capture the mid-late 90s somewhat rote BB show on video).

In any event, here's "I Can Hear Music": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD41cFE_rJE

And here is the full available footage (the first half of this video is an unrelated later Brian solo show): https://youtu.be/6AXmO42nfKU?t=2925

Thanks for posting.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2020, 05:00:25 AM »

Carl sounded just as good in 1997.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx