gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:14:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Happy Halloween  (Read 1491 times)
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2020, 11:33:14 AM »

Happy Halloween all! I enjoy listening to My Solution on this day and other than knowing it was apparently recorded on October 31st (1969 or 1970) I’m curious about this mysterious track. Does anyone know the personnel on it, was it intended for an album? Any other fun facts you can provide would be great!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NlBJq1W-pOw
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 11:35:10 AM by BananaLouie » Logged

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 02:36:40 AM »

Well, it was worked again in 1980 (probably for the "Keepin' the summer alive" sessions, I'd guess) and in '98 Brian used it for "Happy days" from his Imagination album.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 05:26:04 AM »

It seems that the lineup on the original version, from Halloween of 1970, amounted to just Brian on the instrumental track (playing synthesizers), and Brian, Carl, Mike, Al, and Bruce on the vocals. There's a photo from that session that includes Carli Munoz posing in a monster mask (not Billy Hinsche, as originally reported by David Leaf), but I'm not sure if he's playing on the track - it would be a couple of years before he joined their band. Dennis was reportedly absent, likely filming "Two Lane Blacktop".

The 1980 version (instrumental track only, no vocals) was recorded a couple of months after the release of Keepin' The Summer Alive - in a medley with a new version of "Shortenin' Bread" - under the title "Song Within A Song". Brian cut that at Western 3 with Chuck  and a few session guys, like drummer Earl Palmer.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 07:15:58 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:54:57 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 02:11:58 PM »

Billy Hinsche performed "My Solution" in his Live from Billy's Place show last night. The man in the monster mask was his trivia question too, so we'll get a definitive answer on that particular ID soon.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 02:13:16 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 04:30:21 PM »

Thank you all for the input, great details! I recall Dennis wearing a similar monster mask in the Pet Sounds era promo film. 🧟‍♂️🤔

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 08:13:25 PM »

Billy has confirmed that it was Carli Muñoz.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx