gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:28:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jan And Dean - Brian's Songs On Cd  (Read 1711 times)
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2020, 07:10:27 AM »

As someone who lacks knowledge of Jan And Dean, I'm trying to get my hands on a Jan And Dean cd compilation (or two) that contain all of Brian's co-written songs. Preferably in mono. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 07:13:45 AM by BiNNS » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 01:34:09 PM »

I'm not sure if they are all available on CD in mono right now. The original album mono mixes by Jan are hard to find, because the CDs mostly use this strange stereo version with the vocals on the one side and the track on the other.

You can hear the original mono Liberty singles on this great CD:

Anyway, take a look here:

https://jananddean-janberry.com/jan-berry-at-a-glance/jan-berry-and-brian-wilson/

And check out the General Music section on this here Smiley Smile Board for a thread on the new Jan Berry biography by Mark A. Moore (who's also a member of this board)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 01:35:49 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
pudge104
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 03:49:16 PM »

I have this one:

https://www.discogs.com/Jan-Dean-Take-Brian-Surfin/release/4279703

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 02:02:12 AM »

I don't know that one. But it looks like you got at least all the songs then, dunno about the mixes. The one I posted above has the original Jan Berry mono mixes.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 07:03:02 AM »

Thanks for the recommendations. Much appreciated.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 10:29:13 AM »

You're welcome! Maybe you want to try it here as well:

https://jananddean-janberry.com/boards/

- Jack Rieley
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 07:15:22 PM »

The only common compilations on CD that I'm aware of that feature Jan's MONO mixes are Gotta Take That One Last Ride (1974) and The Complete Liberty Singles, but neither contain all of Jan and Brian's collaborations. They both feature the obvious hits like Surf City, Ride The Wild Surf, Drag City, Sidewalk Surfin.... but they both exclude album cuts they wrote together like Surfin Wild and Move Out Little Mustang.

As a fellow J&D fan, I've been searching high and low for the mono mixes in a a digital space. The Complete Liberty Singles + vinyl rips I can come across, or create myself, have been my best solution. The recently released "Ba-Ba-B-B-Ba-Ba" compilation features the R&B pre-Surf stuff in mono.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx