gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:13:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: David Crosby comments on Mike Love...Go David!  (Read 3699 times)
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2020, 11:50:21 AM »

Another guy who can't stand Mike Love, much less has any respect for the guy.

https://guitar.com/news/music-news/david-crosby-beach-boys-mike-love/
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 11:55:35 AM »

Great comments from such a peace and love guy with a long history of drug abuse, weapons offences and being incarcerated.
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 12:09:31 PM »

In 1982, Crosby was convicted for heroin and cocaine possession and a weapons offense. He was incarcerated for nine months in Texas.

In 1985, Crosby was arrested after driving into a fence in Marin County and then fleeing the scene.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 12:11:00 PM by Bill M » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 12:15:49 PM »

The Croz knows first hand how annoying Mike was in 1960s...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 12:21:15 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 12:29:37 PM »

The Croz knows first hand how annoying Mike was in 1960s...
And Nash knows first hand how annoying The Croz is in the 2000's....
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 12:58:21 PM »

No matter how big a dick Crosby may be sometimes, which is an undeniable fact, he is a far, far better human being than Mike Narcissist Love.

All one has to do is take a look at the recent David Crosby documentary "Remember My Name", where the nearly 80-year-old man clearly verbalizes - with emotion - that he has BIG REGRETS in his life with regards to how he has behaved to those around him, and he has enough balls as a man to talk about having screwed up deeply, and wishing he hadn't hurt others. That took guts. He publicly said it in a documentary. It's moving. It's not just a little innocuous thing, Crosby's regrets are at the heart and soul of the documentary, and David Crosby means it. He f*cked, up and he owns it. His owning it doesn't make him a saint, but it makes him human.

Compare with Mike, who has never *ever* publicly said a single iota of any sort of real legitimate personal regret in any interview. Because Mike is an unabashed narcissist of the highest order, to a level rarely seen even in rock music. And that is why he is so repulsive to so many people.

Even Mike's biggest defenders *should* easily be able to say that "Gee, it sure would be nice if Mike could actually publicly talk about personal regrets in such a way, it might gain him some credit and soften his harshest critics". But they are chickenshit to say that,  just like Mike. But I'll bet that they think it even if they won't say it. I think that people who defend putrid narcissism must just have a personal tick where they are more likely to do that defending, and avoid thinking about constructive solutions to that awful behavior pattern as a general thing, and won't be real and honest about stuff like that in any sort of public way. So basically they are enabling Mike to continue destroying his own reputation and destroying the brand name.

Mike's regret is that WILSONS DID DRUGS. Mike actually said that as an answer when a reviewer asked him about *his own* regrets in life.

That alone should shut up anyone who wants to try to take David Crosby to task for being an unreliable source or something like that. Crosby may have issues, but he calls them like he sees them about Mike and he's most certainly not wrong.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 01:12:36 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
zaval80
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 03:52:05 PM »

LOL. What's that saying about the opinions and that everybody has one.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 06:58:29 PM »

I just don't see any point in comparing Mike Love with David Crosby.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 07:59:53 PM »

I just don't see any point in comparing Mike Love with David Crosby.

The only comparison was to respond to attempts to put down Crosby and attempts to discredit his opinion of Mike. People who want to defend Mike can just say "yeah, we'll who the hell is that d*ckhead Crosby to talk about Mike!", and while Crosby could be considered a fairly easy target due to any number of reasons, he's actually exactly the kind of guy who it's good that he's speaking his mind on Mike. Crosby at 79 is who Mike should aspire to be at 79; a guy who f***ed a lot of sh*t up (in very different ways) but at least he's making efforts to apologize and acknowledge his shortcomings.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 03:21:21 AM »

After Mike is gone he'll go down in history as one half of the Brian Wilson Mike love partnership on some great songs that were written over the years. But even more so he'll go down in history as being one of the most disliked individuals in the history of music and also one of the biggest jerks.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 05:40:55 AM »

No matter how big a dick Crosby may be sometimes, which is an undeniable fact, he is a far, far better human being than Mike Narcissist Love.

All one has to do is take a look at the recent David Crosby documentary "Remember My Name", where the nearly 80-year-old man clearly verbalizes - with emotion - that he has BIG REGRETS in his life with regards to how he has behaved to those around him, and he has enough balls as a man to talk about having screwed up deeply, and wishing he hadn't hurt others. That took guts. He publicly said it in a documentary. It's moving. It's not just a little innocuous thing, Crosby's regrets are at the heart and soul of the documentary, and David Crosby means it. He f*cked, up and he owns it. His owning it doesn't make him a saint, but it makes him human.

Compare with Mike, who has never *ever* publicly said a single iota of any sort of real legitimate personal regret in any interview. Because Mike is an unabashed narcissist of the highest order, to a level rarely seen even in rock music. And that is why he is so repulsive to so many people.

Even Mike's biggest defenders *should* easily be able to say that "Gee, it sure would be nice if Mike could actually publicly talk about personal regrets in such a way, it might gain him some credit and soften his harshest critics". But they are chickenshit to say that,  just like Mike. But I'll bet that they think it even if they won't say it. I think that people who defend putrid narcissism must just have a personal tick where they are more likely to do that defending, and avoid thinking about constructive solutions to that awful behavior pattern as a general thing, and won't be real and honest about stuff like that in any sort of public way. So basically they are enabling Mike to continue destroying his own reputation and destroying the brand name.

Mike's regret is that WILSONS DID DRUGS. Mike actually said that as an answer when a reviewer asked him about *his own* regrets in life.

That alone should shut up anyone who wants to try to take David Crosby to task for being an unreliable source or something like that. Crosby may have issues, but he calls them like he sees them about Mike and he's most certainly not wrong.

I guess that's nice that Crosby's "owned up" to his past misdeeds but it certainly doesn't change the fact that he's made them.  Nor has it prevented him from continuing to burn bridges with people.  Hell, even his former bandmates of CSNY refuse to talk to him anymore.  Mike has an over-inflated ego and may be unlikable but he holds a far cleaner record than the Cros ever has.  And comparing these two seems like a waste of energy.  Honestly to quote Triumph the Insult Comic Dog, "it's like poop telling vomit it stinks"!  
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 06:01:38 AM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Unreconstructed Wilsonite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 07:22:34 AM »

David Crosby may constantly put his foot in his mouth (including most recently his deeply disrespectful and dismissive comment about Eddie Van Halen immediately after the news of his passing broke), but gotta give it to him that he's right on the money here  LOL
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2020, 08:04:32 AM »

David Crosby may constantly put his foot in his mouth (including most recently his deeply disrespectful and dismissive comment about Eddie Van Halen immediately after the news of his passing broke), but gotta give it to him that he's right on the money here  LOL

And once again to David's credit, he backtracked and apologized for the Eddie comment. There are many things to dislike about David Crosby but at least the guy has the human capacity to say he is sorry.  Somewhere along the line, Mike's simpleton brain got wired to never, ever apologize for anything whatsoever, and he must be surrounded by sycophants who want to get into his will who reinforce that this is somehow acceptable behavior as a human being, but it completely is not. All Mike does is hurt himself by being such an intensely dislikable, stubborn fool.
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2020, 11:44:02 AM »

For those who comment first upon David Crosby's criminal record, I say this. Brian, Dennis and Carl Wilson could also very well have had criminal records for their drug abuse. Does that mean that if Brian had been arrested and served time he would no longer be entitled to an opinion on anything, or that his opinion would have no merit? Of course not. Even the fact that David Crosby is a self-acknowledged asshole shouldn't enter into this (See Echoes in the Canyon for that self-acknowledgment). David expressed an opinion based on his experiences with Mike. Do with it what you will. I happen to think he is spot on in this case.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2020, 12:34:48 AM »

ML certainly has long history of a-hole behavior, but I have to strongly with disagree Crosby's assertion that the man "has no talent at all."  It's pretty ridiculous to say that someone who was lead (or shared lead) vocalist on several dozen hit songs "has no talent at all."   Sorry, but all those hits are not some kind of fluke.  You don't score hit after hit by not delivering the goods on some level.  Sure, maybe DC's comment is hyperbole and he just meant that ML is minimally talented compared to some of the best vocalists whom DC has known and worked with, and if that's what he meant, he'd certainly be entitled to that opinion.  

To some extent, I agree with DC (and Dennis) that "Brian is the Beach Boys" in that BW exists on a different plane of talent compared with the rest of the group, and it was Brian's extraordinary gifts in composition, arrangement and production that propelled the group to superstardom.  BUT that doesn't mean that the rest of the group had "no talent."  They were ALL good... even great vocalists.  Al and Carl (and Dave Marks) were good or great musicians.  Dennis and Carl eventually blossomed as composers in their own right.  And I think Mike's lyrical contributions were decent here and there (though greatly exaggerated; I think it was Gary Usher who said that ML thought he was entitled to co-authorship credit if he happened to be in the same bulding when a song was being written).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 12:47:52 AM by juggler » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2020, 06:05:05 AM »

For those who comment first upon David Crosby's criminal record, I say this. Brian, Dennis and Carl Wilson could also very well have had criminal records for their drug abuse. Does that mean that if Brian had been arrested and served time he would no longer be entitled to an opinion on anything, or that his opinion would have no merit? Of course not. Even the fact that David Crosby is a self-acknowledged asshole shouldn't enter into this (See Echoes in the Canyon for that self-acknowledgment). David expressed an opinion based on his experiences with Mike. Do with it what you will. I happen to think he is spot on in this case.

I think it stems far more from the hypocrisy on how Crosby himself has been polarizing in how he conducts himself.  He has a reputation for being a jerk himself and again, his own bandmates refuse to even speak to him.  And he's put himself in far more trouble than Love ever has.  None of this neccesarily invalidates what he is saying; it's more about the pot calling the kettle black.  

Side story: my aunt once had an opportunity to meet CSN.  When she told them how their music had gotten her through some difficult times in her life, Stills proceeded to make a snide, sexist remark at her expense followed by Crosby laughing in approval.  Only Nash conducted himself as a gentleman.  🤷‍♂️
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 06:24:10 AM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2020, 06:38:19 AM »

Hilarious addendum to this story: Brian Wilson's social media today posted a new meme (dated October 2020) of him lavishing praise on CSN. I'm sure no-one will read that as a tacit endorsement of Croz's comments!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2020, 08:00:25 AM »

Hilarious addendum to this story: Brian Wilson's social media today posted a new meme (dated October 2020) of him lavishing praise on CSN. I'm sure no-one will read that as a tacit endorsement of Croz's comments!

I want to send a bouquet of a dozen roses to whoever is running Brian's social media account. So wonderfully spot on and hilarious. Kudos. There's more than one way to give a middle finger to Mike. The "October 2020" date is an unmistakable clue.  Absolutely zero reason for that to be in the post as part of the artwork unless it's there to make a statement. And it's in keeping with Brian's personality too.  Passive aggressive, but brilliant, and funny.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 08:01:23 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2020, 09:51:34 PM »

I want to send a bouquet of a dozen roses to whoever is running Brian's social media account. So wonderfully spot on and hilarious. Kudos. There's more than one way to give a middle finger to Mike. The "October 2020" date is an unmistakable clue.  Absolutely zero reason for that to be in the post as part of the artwork unless it's there to make a statement. And it's in keeping with Brian's personality too.  Passive aggressive, but brilliant, and funny.

I saw that and laughed out loud!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 09:54:39 PM by patsy6 » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx