gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:32:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike Love interview  (Read 3968 times)
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2020, 07:13:59 PM »

https://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/music/2020/10/20/beach-boys-mike-love-brian-wilson-drive-ins/3688649001/

short, but sweet ( not )

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 01:55:19 AM »

The usual stuff. I bet his wife has to sit through his Kokomo and "Brian is not allowed to write songs with me" monologues at least once a week.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 09:11:58 AM »

Wow, real eye opener that one, Beatles, Maharishi....who knew?

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 12:32:25 PM »

I've got it on good authority that the Beatles actually hated Mike Love. George was quoted as saying "he's a drag, a well known drag. When he's on tv, we turn the sound down and say rude things about him."
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 08:55:19 PM »

Oh no, you most certainly got that wrong. Him and George were Pisces brothers! Not for fortune, or for more fame/But for enlightenment they came/To Maharishi and how sublime/It was an atmosphere divine.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 09:58:45 PM by phirnis » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 11:33:49 PM »

The usual stuff. I bet his wife has to sit through his Kokomo and "Brian is not allowed to write songs with me" monologues at least once a week.

For some reason I now have an image in my head of him having night terrors & clutching a teddy bear wearing a Hawaiian shirt, mumbling “he won’t write with me..he won’t write with me” , while Jacquelyn pats him on the head & saying “there there, there there...it’s gonna be okay”

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 07:57:02 AM »

Or mummers "set end date"! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 11:53:20 AM »

Lately it’s been more like the movie ‘Downfall’ for me. Mike sitting in his bunker getting more and more deranged as each piece of Wilson positive news comes in.
I had to laugh at a comment someone made I think on David Crosby’s FB over the Trump fundraiser. God gave Brian the good ear and musical brain, Dennis got the movie star looks. He gave Carl the ‘voice of an angel’. Mike got nothing but a chip on his shoulder.  LOL
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 12:13:10 PM »

Lately it’s been more like the movie ‘Downfall’ for me. Mike sitting in his bunker getting more and more deranged as each piece of Wilson positive news comes in.
I had to laugh at a comment someone made I think on David Crosby’s FB over the Trump fundraiser. God gave Brian the good ear and musical brain, Dennis got the movie star looks. He gave Carl the ‘voice of an angel’. Mike got nothing but a chip on his shoulder.  LOL

That's not all that god gave Mike on his shoulder. Don't forget the fallen follicles on Mike's shoulder too. I don't endorse making fun of people for physical traits, so I say it for the sole purpse to mention that I truly think that Mike's premature baldness affected his outlook and amplified his jealousy of the Wilsons that much more. Totally serious, and not meant as an insult. It's quite sad. Mike of all people who has a chip on his shoulder for feeling not as (fill in the blank here) as the Wilsons, has had to deal with that on top of everything else. Few contemporaries of Mike had to deal with that at so young an age.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 03:38:51 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 12:29:35 PM »

The Tahoe bunker lives! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 03:28:47 PM »

I had to laugh at a comment someone made I think on David Crosby’s FB over the Trump fundraiser. God gave Brian the good ear and musical brain, Dennis got the movie star looks. He gave Carl the ‘voice of an angel’. Mike got nothing but a chip on his shoulder.  LOL

That's not all that god gave Mike on his shoulder. Don't forget the fallen follicles on Mike's shoulder too. I don't endorse making fun of people for physical traits, so I say it for the sole purpse to mention that I truly think that Mike's premature baldness effected his outlook and amplified his jealousy of the Wilsons that much more. Totally serious, and not meant as an insult. It's quite sad. Mike of all people who has a chip on his shoulder for feeling not as (fill in the blank here) as the Wilsons, has had to deal with that on top of everything else. Few contemporaries of Mike had to deal with that at so young an age.
Absolutely. I have thought that for some time now. And we can blame his mother Emily Wilson Love for that. The gene for male pattern baldness genes gets passed on through the mother. Audree didn't have one, but Emily did.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 03:53:18 PM »

That's not all that god gave Mike on his shoulder. Don't forget the fallen follicles on Mike's shoulder too. I don't endorse making fun of people for physical traits, so I say it for the sole purpse to mention that I truly think that Mike's premature baldness affected his outlook and amplified his jealousy of the Wilsons that much more. Totally serious, and not meant as an insult. It's quite sad. Mike of all people who has a chip on his shoulder for feeling not as (fill in the blank here) as the Wilsons, has had to deal with that on top of everything else. Few contemporaries of Mike had to deal with that at so young an age.
I agree. His cousins were blessed with great heads of hair, while Mike was already losing it in 1961. And then the Beatles come along, with their long hair, and Mike could never wear his hair like that. I'm surprised he never went for a transplant, weave, or wig. There was a very popular lead singer of a NW band in the 60's who was losing his hair, but sometime in 1966 he started wearing wigs. He was known for his ponytail. And all these years later, he is still wearing wigs.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2020, 05:03:21 PM »

I’m bald 😢

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2020, 02:02:11 PM »

Me too. And not only that, I was around the same age as Mike Love when I started losing my hair. I first realized I was getting a bald patch when I was about 21. I had a full head of largely very thin hair when I got married aged 26, but it was going fast by then, and was gone a few years later.

I didn't however turn into a jealous a$$hole. But then, I wasn't in a band with four other guys with thick flowing locks.

I think it's a possible contributing explanation for Mike's behavior, but certainly doesn't excuse it.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 12:44:48 PM »

I still wonder why he never went the surgical route. Just read a book from a former lead singer of Paul Revere and the Raiders, he went for a transplant around 2001. Said it hurt like hell, had to wear a soft cap for several months - but Mike could do that and no one would be wiser. It's not a cheap procedure, but that shouldn't be a problem for Mike.

He's not against being photographed without a hat on - there are several hat-less photos in his autobiography - but that's offstage in private moments. At this point, I think he just sees the hats as part of his image.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2020, 01:24:21 PM »

I still wonder why he never went the surgical route. Just read a book from a former lead singer of Paul Revere and the Raiders, he went for a transplant around 2001. Said it hurt like hell, had to wear a soft cap for several months - but Mike could do that and no one would be wiser. It's not a cheap procedure, but that shouldn't be a problem for Mike.

He's not against being photographed without a hat on - there are several hat-less photos in his autobiography - but that's offstage in private moments. At this point, I think he just sees the hats as part of his image.

Kinda like how Art Garfunkel would wear a curly wig on the Simon & Garfunkel reunion tours since that was part of his image, he has no problem being photographed bald otherwise.

Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2020, 01:51:24 AM »

Plenty of singers were balder than they'd have liked the public to realise in the 60's. Lennon's hairline was mature to say the least, and Hendrix was reportedly going bald in his last years. Both Simon and Garfunkel were visibly balding too. Mike was just very unfortunate in how rapidly he lost it, there was really no hiding it. I do believe on some level it impeded his 'cool factor' and played a part in him being downgraded to one of several singers, rather than being *the* frontman.

Still, very much a side issue imo. Everyone has things that cause them angst, but everyone has a choice as to whether they're gonna be an asshole or not. Al was balding from quite early on as well, plus being very short - overall not the ladies' pick of the group as it were - but it doesn't seem to have affected his character.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 01:55:19 AM by Tom » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2020, 05:40:38 PM »

Plenty of singers were balder than they'd have liked the public to realise in the 60's. Lennon's hairline was mature to say the least, and Hendrix was reportedly going bald in his last years. Both Simon and Garfunkel were visibly balding too. Mike was just very unfortunate in how rapidly he lost it, there was really no hiding it. I do believe on some level it impeded his 'cool factor' and played a part in him being downgraded to one of several singers, rather than being *the* frontman.

Still, very much a side issue imo. Everyone has things that cause them angst, but everyone has a choice as to whether they're gonna be an asshole or not. Al was balding from quite early on as well, plus being very short - overall not the ladies' pick of the group as it were - but it doesn't seem to have affected his character.
Wait a minute....was Lennon balding, too? He sure appears to have a full head of hair in those Double Fantasy pics; was it a wig? He did seem to wear a hat a lot in 74/75. It does seem suspicious to me that none of the ex-Beatles lost their hair. What would you say is the percentage of adult males that experience hair loss? I think it's gotta be over 50%. George had a full head of hair till his dying day. Paul, of course, was dyeing for many years until recently when he decided to "let his grey flag fly". Ringo keeps his hair very short, but I can't tell that he's lost any.
Never seen any pics of Jimi with a receding hair line. Maybe that's what the headbands were all about. Look at CSNY - David Crozbald, Stephen Stillbald, Graham "i'll bet they are jealous of my head full of grey hair" Nash, and Neil "time to put on the cowboy hat" Young.
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2020, 08:22:17 PM »

Lennon was self conscious about his hairline from early 60's onwards. He did have a high forehead, although it wasn't really as severe as he thought, at least early on. However you can see in photos from '79-80 that it was starting to creeping back and look a little flimsy at the front. He changed his hairstyle many times at this stage as well - difficulty styling hair is usually a sign of hair loss.

Ringo keeps his hair short and combs it forward a bit, he's definitely got some recession going on, although it's really not bad considering his age. He was also partly grey very early on due to his various traumatic illnesses as a child - there are Rory Storm era pictures where his white streak is visible. He started dying it black in the early 60's I think.

Paul keeps his hair long to cover his forehead but it's definitely gotten wispier. His dad was bald and so is his son, so one has to suspect he's done something to keep his hair intact, whether it be surgery or medication - or he's just very lucky.

The Hendrix thing is something I've heard but not looked into as much - harder to tell as it was always quite long and voluminous, plus the headbands.

I guess it's silly to focus so much on something superficial, but I do think it's important to break down the stigma - I still see plenty of people use Mike's baldness as a symbol of him being creatively impotent or an asshole or whatever it may be. For many men it's reassuring to know that there are plenty of incredible artists who also dealt with some degree of hair loss. Just so happens that the three Wilsons seemingly won the genetic lottery in this regard.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 08:24:55 PM by Tom » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2020, 07:45:13 PM »

Lennon was self conscious about his hairline from early 60's onwards. He did have a high forehead, although it wasn't really as severe as he thought, at least early on. However you can see in photos from '79-80 that it was starting to creeping back and look a little flimsy at the front. He changed his hairstyle many times at this stage as well - difficulty styling hair is usually a sign of hair loss.

Ringo keeps his hair short and combs it forward a bit, he's definitely got some recession going on, although it's really not bad considering his age. He was also partly grey very early on due to his various traumatic illnesses as a child - there are Rory Storm era pictures where his white streak is visible. He started dying it black in the early 60's I think.

Paul keeps his hair long to cover his forehead but it's definitely gotten wispier. His dad was bald and so is his son, so one has to suspect he's done something to keep his hair intact, whether it be surgery or medication - or he's just very lucky.

The Hendrix thing is something I've heard but not looked into as much - harder to tell as it was always quite long and voluminous, plus the headbands.

I guess it's silly to focus so much on something superficial, but I do think it's important to break down the stigma - I still see plenty of people use Mike's baldness as a symbol of him being creatively impotent or an asshole or whatever it may be. For many men it's reassuring to know that there are plenty of incredible artists who also dealt with some degree of hair loss. Just so happens that the three Wilsons seemingly won the genetic lottery in this regard.
Agreed. It's pretty pathetic, the attacks on Mike being bald, like he had any choice in the matter. And I get why he wears the hats onstage - he don't want to blind his audience with his shiny forehead.
Myself....I salvaged what I could and threw it in a sack.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx