gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:22:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rex Allen Jr question  (Read 1481 times)
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2020, 03:06:13 PM »

I just had a vague recollection from my early years of trying to chase down Beach Boys' guest appearances for/with other artists, that there might be a link to Rex Allen Jr title: Me and My Broken Heart.

It looks like that 1979 album has been reissued recently, but now I can't find the reference.

Any ideas?

(Thanks in advance)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 03:07:38 PM by thetojo » Logged
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 06:40:18 PM »

Okay.

So I finally got my hands on a decent scan of the back cover/credits for this album, and sure enough, Denny did provide backing vocals for this album or song.

At first I thought it's going to be another Dennis Wilson, but it's our man.

thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 06:43:15 PM »

Scan attached
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 07:10:06 PM »

I see that Rex Allen album was produced by Buddy Killen for Tree Productions. There’s a singer/songwriter named Dennis William Wilson who was around on the Nashville scene around that time who was signed to Tree Publishing Company (per the label credits for his album), which like Tree Productions, was controlled by Buddy Killen. This is speculation on my part, but perhaps the “Dennis Wilson appears courtesy of Caribou Records” was in error and was supposed to be in reference to Dennis William Wilson. That said, would be a weird error to make to specify Caribou.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 07:37:05 AM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 11:59:54 PM »

Yes. It's odd, but stranger things have happened.

I noted that the California  Saga website (i think) was the source for my initial identification of this possible link.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 01:44:31 AM »

There indeed is/was a Nashville backgroundsinger named Dennis Wilson. You can find him on George Jones albums from the 70s to the 90s, maybe even the 2000s, I haven't checked. That's where I first saw that name and was very confused. He works oder worked (I don't know if he's still alive) a lot obviously as his name is to be found on many artists' records.

Don't know about the Rex Allen Jr album. As Buddy Killen is the producer, I'm betting on the background singer, though.
Did you try AGD's website?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 01:47:40 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 06:23:01 AM »

The country singer Dennis Wilson had an album out in '79 called One Of Those People, and that was widely misidentified as being an album by Beach Boy Dennis Wilson. As stated, it would be weird indeed to represent the former as making an appearance on another artist's album "courtesy of Caribou Records", but stranger things have indeed happened.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 01:31:19 PM »

I'm not making any assumptions, but also thought that a connection may have developed from the Lynx song Dennis and Karen Lamm sang on for the radio station compilation "Refined Texas Crude". The title was "All That We've Missed".
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 12:04:34 PM by thetojo » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx