gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:21:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trump fundraiser in Orange County featuring Mike and 'The Beach Boys'  (Read 38876 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: October 24, 2020, 10:18:11 PM »

Same here.

Let’s get this back on topic in regards to Mike specifically ( truth be told, performing for any political fundraiser in this climate  is a bad move imho..:.and that’s on topic)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 08:19:34 AM by ♩♬🐸 Murry the Friendly Ghost ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 25, 2020, 06:55:09 AM »

I want to thank Mike Love for his continued uncanny ability to invent new and novel ways of making me embarrassed to be a Beach Boys  fan, well into the 21st Century!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 25, 2020, 04:09:08 PM »

I want to thank Mike Love for his continued uncanny ability to invent new and novel ways of making me embarrassed to be a Beach Boys  fan, well into the 21st Century!
I think Mike does these things just to get his name in the headlines. Remember his speech at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame? He's never shown any remorse for that; in his view, it was good publicity for the Beach Boys, who were going to be overshadowed by the Fab Four and Robert Zimmerman. "I'm gonna make sure all the headlines aren't about Ms. Ross and Macca not showing up".
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: October 25, 2020, 05:33:54 PM »

I think Mike does these things just to get his name in the headlines. Remember his speech at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame? He's never shown any remorse for that; in his view, it was good publicity for the Beach Boys, who were going to be overshadowed by the Fab Four and Robert Zimmerman. "I'm gonna make sure all the headlines aren't about Ms. Ross and Macca not showing up".

I actually think Mike’s speech at the HOF was kinda cool.

joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 26, 2020, 06:53:10 PM »

But seriously you think calling coronavirus "the Chinese virus" is okay? You understand people commonly use the term "Chinese" to refer to Asian-Americans, right? So you'd be okay with the President of the US referring to a spreading disease as "the white person virus" if it originated here? Since we're on a Beach Boys forum, how about letting an Asian-American like Billy Hinsche know your thoughts? How might Carls's half Asian-American sons feel about this?

It's hard to have a civil discussion when you guys are either: 1- insensitive, selfish assholes, and/or 2- idiots.

I can't wait to hear the whataboutism, and pretzel-twisting responses you're gonna get to those by deranged pro-Trumpers.

Or how about when Trump mocked the disabled reporter? (Oh yeah, that was just Trump accidentally moving his arms in a way that was not intended to be a mockery, right?)

But you know, mocking people with challenges is par for the course with the Trumps and with Mike, those guys have no problem mocking Brian, a guy who continues to suffer from various issues but has bravely overcome *so* much in his life... Mike just last week was talking in an incredibly disrespectful way about Brian, as if Brian's a child, in Mike's recent interview talking about Brian "coming out to play"...  or Trump Jr. bragging with glee about having "successfully triggered" Brian Wilson into being outraged about killing animals for fun.

And Mike simply standing by, like the Proud Boys, with no response to that "trigger" comment whatsoever. Mike has zero tact and zero class, and neither do the Trumps. And that just scratches the surface of how awful the Trumps are, and how gross it is for the BBs brand to be associated.

But yeah, I'm sure these wonderful, ethical pro-Trump BBs fans will excuse all of these things, too.

Trump and Mike deserve each other.  Absolute trash.

Re: the Chinese virus.

- Asian media called it the "Wuhan Virus"... Example here and here.
- New York Times called it the Chinese Coronavirus.
- Washington Post called it the Chinese Coronavirus
- I can list a plethora of more examples of these headlines that dated around January before Trump started calling it the Chinese virus - at which point the media called him racist and then proceeded to not mention "Chinese" in the name subsequently.

My point being that, whether or not it is right or wrong to name a virus (or call a virus) after it's place of origin (such as Zika, Marburg, Lyme, etc), NO ONE on the left is calling the New York Times, CNN, Washington Post racist for mentioning China/Wuhan in their description of the virus. It's these types of double standards that give Trump a bit of leeway with moderate voters. Does Trump keep calling it the Chinese virus because he hates Asians? I doubt it, as 30% of Asian-Americans support him (as of last month) and he needs their votes. It's more likely that since the media called it the "Chinese" virus at the beginning of the pandemic it just further proves a point about double standards whenever someone calls him racist for saying it. Billy Hinsche or Carls's half Asian-American sons may absolutely hate Trump because of his continued mentioning of "Chinese virus", and more power to them if so - however, that 30% of Asian Americans still support the president proves that some Asian-Americans are not offended by Trump naming the country of origin when referring to the virus.

On a side note, he did call it the Kung Flu on one (or more) occasions - I'm not sure how this could be construed, perhaps racist? A really stupid/bad joke? Both?

As for Trump mocking the disabled reporter: this video shows that Trump made the exact same hand/flailing gestures when mocking other people he disagreed with...and the footage is taken from events that took place before the date he supposedly mocked the reporter's disability. If he was mocking the reporter's disability, then absolutely shame on him. But the fact that he made the exact same hand gestures on multiple occasions when referring to people who didn't have that disability makes me question the validity of the claim.

Re: the Proud Boys. Not that you really delved into that subject, but I do want to clear up confusion about that too. As I heard that the Proud Boys were supposedly a white supremacist group (Joe Biden claimed this at the first debate). The Proud Boys leader is a half-Cuban half-black male. The Proud Boys have African American members. That does not at all sound like a white supremacist group to me, or they have an absolutely abysmal screening process. There was actually a Joe Rogan podcast where the founding of the Proud Boys was explained: it was created as a joke to help a jewish intern get laid...again, if they are a white supremacist group they are really doing a poor job. CD, not that you said they were white supremacists, but I have heard this rumor a lot and thought I'd clear it up for anyone who didn't know this.

Is Trump a jackass? Yes! In fact, someone posted a great cited response earlier about all the garbage stuff Trump has done. But I just wanted to throw my two cents in about the above topics.

I’ve got no love for left wing propaganda outlets like The NY Times and WA Post. Yes they paint Trump in a particular way, just as Fox News paints any Democrat however they want for their agenda.

It was originally referred to as a Chinese virus when it was predominantly occurring only in China. Since then Trump has used the term as a political tool to defer blame from his failed administration to some external place, which results in xenophobia IMO. Additionally, it’s been used since then as racist dog whistle crap, like tons of sh*t he says.

Just because someone “has an African American member” or just because 30% of Asian-Americans May support Trump (not sure if that’s actually true or where that data came from), does not mean he does not condone and breed racist behavior among inclined Americans. Look around.
Right....but Joe's you ain't black or Hilary's fake southern drawl in a southern baptist church gets crickets. Actions speak louder than words some might say. A common play of the left is to claim someone said all people when an observation is made. When did Trump call all Mexicans rapists, etc? Find the quote. Likely not but you'll find the claim coming from all over the left.
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: October 26, 2020, 08:54:22 PM »

But seriously you think calling coronavirus "the Chinese virus" is okay? You understand people commonly use the term "Chinese" to refer to Asian-Americans, right? So you'd be okay with the President of the US referring to a spreading disease as "the white person virus" if it originated here? Since we're on a Beach Boys forum, how about letting an Asian-American like Billy Hinsche know your thoughts? How might Carls's half Asian-American sons feel about this?

It's hard to have a civil discussion when you guys are either: 1- insensitive, selfish assholes, and/or 2- idiots.

I can't wait to hear the whataboutism, and pretzel-twisting responses you're gonna get to those by deranged pro-Trumpers.

Or how about when Trump mocked the disabled reporter? (Oh yeah, that was just Trump accidentally moving his arms in a way that was not intended to be a mockery, right?)

But you know, mocking people with challenges is par for the course with the Trumps and with Mike, those guys have no problem mocking Brian, a guy who continues to suffer from various issues but has bravely overcome *so* much in his life... Mike just last week was talking in an incredibly disrespectful way about Brian, as if Brian's a child, in Mike's recent interview talking about Brian "coming out to play"...  or Trump Jr. bragging with glee about having "successfully triggered" Brian Wilson into being outraged about killing animals for fun.

And Mike simply standing by, like the Proud Boys, with no response to that "trigger" comment whatsoever. Mike has zero tact and zero class, and neither do the Trumps. And that just scratches the surface of how awful the Trumps are, and how gross it is for the BBs brand to be associated.

But yeah, I'm sure these wonderful, ethical pro-Trump BBs fans will excuse all of these things, too.

Trump and Mike deserve each other.  Absolute trash.

Re: the Chinese virus.

- Asian media called it the "Wuhan Virus"... Example here and here.
- New York Times called it the Chinese Coronavirus.
- Washington Post called it the Chinese Coronavirus
- I can list a plethora of more examples of these headlines that dated around January before Trump started calling it the Chinese virus - at which point the media called him racist and then proceeded to not mention "Chinese" in the name subsequently.

My point being that, whether or not it is right or wrong to name a virus (or call a virus) after it's place of origin (such as Zika, Marburg, Lyme, etc), NO ONE on the left is calling the New York Times, CNN, Washington Post racist for mentioning China/Wuhan in their description of the virus. It's these types of double standards that give Trump a bit of leeway with moderate voters. Does Trump keep calling it the Chinese virus because he hates Asians? I doubt it, as 30% of Asian-Americans support him (as of last month) and he needs their votes. It's more likely that since the media called it the "Chinese" virus at the beginning of the pandemic it just further proves a point about double standards whenever someone calls him racist for saying it. Billy Hinsche or Carls's half Asian-American sons may absolutely hate Trump because of his continued mentioning of "Chinese virus", and more power to them if so - however, that 30% of Asian Americans still support the president proves that some Asian-Americans are not offended by Trump naming the country of origin when referring to the virus.

On a side note, he did call it the Kung Flu on one (or more) occasions - I'm not sure how this could be construed, perhaps racist? A really stupid/bad joke? Both?

As for Trump mocking the disabled reporter: this video shows that Trump made the exact same hand/flailing gestures when mocking other people he disagreed with...and the footage is taken from events that took place before the date he supposedly mocked the reporter's disability. If he was mocking the reporter's disability, then absolutely shame on him. But the fact that he made the exact same hand gestures on multiple occasions when referring to people who didn't have that disability makes me question the validity of the claim.

Re: the Proud Boys. Not that you really delved into that subject, but I do want to clear up confusion about that too. As I heard that the Proud Boys were supposedly a white supremacist group (Joe Biden claimed this at the first debate). The Proud Boys leader is a half-Cuban half-black male. The Proud Boys have African American members. That does not at all sound like a white supremacist group to me, or they have an absolutely abysmal screening process. There was actually a Joe Rogan podcast where the founding of the Proud Boys was explained: it was created as a joke to help a jewish intern get laid...again, if they are a white supremacist group they are really doing a poor job. CD, not that you said they were white supremacists, but I have heard this rumor a lot and thought I'd clear it up for anyone who didn't know this.

Is Trump a jackass? Yes! In fact, someone posted a great cited response earlier about all the garbage stuff Trump has done. But I just wanted to throw my two cents in about the above topics.

I’ve got no love for left wing propaganda outlets like The NY Times and WA Post. Yes they paint Trump in a particular way, just as Fox News paints any Democrat however they want for their agenda.

It was originally referred to as a Chinese virus when it was predominantly occurring only in China. Since then Trump has used the term as a political tool to defer blame from his failed administration to some external place, which results in xenophobia IMO. Additionally, it’s been used since then as racist dog whistle crap, like tons of sh*t he says.

Just because someone “has an African American member” or just because 30% of Asian-Americans May support Trump (not sure if that’s actually true or where that data came from), does not mean he does not condone and breed racist behavior among inclined Americans. Look around.
Right....but Joe's you ain't black or Hilary's fake southern drawl in a southern baptist church gets crickets. Actions speak louder than words some might say. A common play of the left is to claim someone said all people when an observation is made. When did Trump call all Mexicans rapists, etc? Find the quote. Likely not but you'll find the claim coming from all over the left.
Hey there, for what it's worth I think both Biden and Hillary have said embarrassing things. I think Trump has said many abhorrent things. These opinions are not mutually exclusive.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 27, 2020, 08:20:13 AM »

Yeah, there could be some truth to that. But I also think he may very well align with Trump on many issues and legitimately thinks Trump is the right man for the job. Keep in mind that 50 Cent and Lil Pump (two rather well-known rap artists) just endorsed Trump - citing tax reasons. Mike probably has that same viewpoint...and perhaps Mike isn't at all flushed to use The Beach Boys name as a tool to help keep his personal taxes lower.

But to get back to your point, it is probably also good for The touring Beach Boys as well - just look at Trump's rallies and you can see how people come in droves to see him speak. Perhaps Mike is also thinking "this would be a great advertisement for snag the only group of people willing to brave COVID-19. If these people show up for Trump rallies surely they'd come watch America's Band perform at a concert, especially if I basically endorse the guy.". So in that regard, I can see how this would be good publicity for Mike (more specifically, the touring band).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: October 27, 2020, 10:29:59 AM »

I'm not a Biden supporter, so your point makes no sense to me. I subscribe to Noam Chomsky's recommendation: If you are in a swing state, vote for the lesser of two evils (Biden is clearly evil but clearly the lesser here). If you are in a full red or blue state, vote third party.

So you're saying it's okay for Trump and his supporters to make racist statements just because Biden and Clinton made more mild, offensive statements that one time? Cool, makes a lot of sense bro.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 10:35:36 AM by DonnyL » Logged

SBonilla
« Reply #258 on: October 27, 2020, 11:09:51 AM »

aloha
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 27, 2020, 01:11:14 PM »

I think I’ll visit a web forum for Trump and a web forum for Biden and see if they’re discussing nothing but Mike Love...
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 27, 2020, 02:09:07 PM »

I think I’ll visit a web forum for Trump and a web forum for Biden and see if they’re discussing nothing but Mike Love...

You're right, this topic needs to get back to the Beach Boys. Mike's inarguably a tool for playing the show against the wishes of Brian and Al.

I'd really like to know how he'd justify that, not just playing the show because he likes Trump, but how he thinks it's fine and ethically dandy to use the brand name to promote such a divisive candidate (whether one likes Trump or not, it cannot be argued he is more divisive than any candidate in any of our lifetimes), and did it AGAINST THE WISHES of Brian and Al.

Would love to hear Mike explain how that's fine.  

Is there ANY explanation Mike could give other than "I did it because I can, and the feelings of Brian and Al don't matter to me?"

« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 02:35:33 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: October 27, 2020, 03:01:48 PM »

Most didn't, both in the audience and in the public. It cemented his poor reputation, and the speech is even more ironic and hypocritical now in retrospect. Objectively, it did nothing good for the band or Mike.

There are ways to give a punk-attitude, tell-it-like-it-is, rebellious speech at the R&R HOF. Mike's speech was not that. He called out Mick Jagger for not being there even though Jagger was there. He patted himself on the back for doing more gigs per year than the deceased John Lennon. He called out McCartney and Diana Ross for being hung up on lawsuits, even though Mike did and does have a world-famous reputation for being litigious. Mike set up Bob Dylan and Elton John to give better speeches/one-liners in response to Mike's speech.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 27, 2020, 03:19:57 PM »

Most didn't, both in the audience and in the public. It cemented his poor reputation, and the speech is even more ironic and hypocritical now in retrospect. Objectively, it did nothing good for the band or Mike.

There are ways to give a punk-attitude, tell-it-like-it-is, rebellious speech at the R&R HOF. Mike's speech was not that. He called out Mick Jagger for not being there even though Jagger was there. He patted himself on the back for doing more gigs per year than the deceased John Lennon. He called out McCartney and Diana Ross for being hung up on lawsuits, even though Mike did and does have a world-famous reputation for being litigious. Mike set up Bob Dylan and Elton John to give better speeches/one-liners in response to Mike's speech.

You said it far better than I could. I’ve never understood the opinion that Mike’s actions at the HoF were punk or rebellious (or cool). The speech was hypocritical while he was giving the speech: he was chastising others for not being in harmony and went on to berate a slew of artists seconds later (and as you pointed out, his jabs didn’t even make sense). Not to mention his antics while a clearly stage-frightened Brian was trying to give a speech.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 27, 2020, 03:25:46 PM »

I want to thank Mike Love for his continued uncanny ability to invent new and novel ways of making me embarrassed to be a Beach Boys  fan, well into the 21st Century!

You said it far better than I could. I’ve never understood the opinion that Mike’s actions at the HoF were punk or rebellious (or cool). The speech was hypocritical while he was giving the speech: he was chastising others for not being in harmony and went on to berate a slew of artists seconds later (and as you pointed out, his jabs didn’t even make sense). Not to mention his antics while a clearly stage-frightened Brian was trying to give a speech.

All one has to do is look at the photos of Carl taken while he is watching Mike give the speech. He looks mortified and is giving the famous "look".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: October 27, 2020, 03:28:18 PM »

If we keep getting on Trump vs Biden and not on the Beach Bots, I’m locking this thread

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 27, 2020, 03:32:08 PM »

You're right, this topic needs to get back to the Beach Boys. Mike's inarguably a tool for playing the show against the wishes of Brian and Al.

I'd really like to know how he'd justify that, not just playing the show because he likes Trump, but how he thinks it's fine and ethically dandy to use the brand name to promote such a divisive candidate (whether one likes Trump or not, it cannot be argued he is more divisive than any candidate in any of our lifetimes), and did it AGAINST THE WISHES of Brian and Al.

Would love to hear Mike explain how that's fine.  

Is there ANY explanation Mike could give other than "I did it because I can, and the feelings of Brian and Al don't matter to me?"

Agreed. But it’s probably his same attitude that kept him from pulling out of the trophy hunting gig after Trump jr decided to take pathetic jabs at Brian. He clearly doesn’t care about the feelings of Brian or Al. I think of all the garbage that went on before that trophy hunting show, but to me the “proud I triggered another Hollywood liberal” line was the worst part of that. And I say that because whether or not you agree with trophy hunting, Mike absolutely should have stuck up for his cousin and ditched the gig after that comment.

Brian didn’t want The Beach Boys name (and subsequently his very own songs) associated with the killing of animals (which, Mr. Pacific Ocean Blues should have completely understood), and did what any rational person would’ve done: protested the show. And then he got mocked for it by one of the main guys at the event. But Mike went on with the show regardless.

And it’s completely similar in this case: regardless of how you feel about Trump, in this day and age the music of The Beach Boys should not be tethered to a certain political party or campaign. Even if there was some Transcendental Meditation party that was running on the platform of harmony and peace. Just leave the music out of all of this garbage. And given how one of the Trumps already mocked Brian freaking Wilson I would hope that Mike would stay as far from them as possible. But again, he clearly doesn’t care about Brian’s feelings. And he’s proved this time and time and time again in the last 5 decades.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 27, 2020, 03:35:30 PM »

All one has to do is look at the photos of Carl taken while he is watching Mike give the speech. He looks mortified and is giving the famous "look".

Yeah definitely. And now it’s solidified in Beach Boys lore as one of the most embarrassing episodes for the band (which is saying a lot). And of course the Lovester has no remorse for it.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 27, 2020, 03:58:43 PM »

Agreed. But it’s probably his same attitude that kept him from pulling out of the trophy hunting gig after Trump jr decided to take pathetic jabs at Brian. He clearly doesn’t care about the feelings of Brian or Al.  

He really just needs to outright SAY IT.  I mean, we know it's the case, but he should specifically be put on the spot about it. Because it's just so unethical and awful and utterly disrespectful. Yet because his middle name is Vengeance and not actually Edward, he probably justifies it because of how "disrespectfully" he thinks he was treated during C50.

What we need is a Borat type of person to come along and give an in depth interview to Mike, where they slowly work these kinds of questions into the mix.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 04:04:20 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: October 27, 2020, 04:06:31 PM »

I want to thank Mike Love for his continued uncanny ability to invent new and novel ways of making me embarrassed to be a Beach Boys  fan, well into the 21st Century!

He was clearly hopped up on the apple juice, and the execution was poor - but I would argue that the act was admirable. Then again, I dislike the rock n roll hall of fame and much of what it stands for and represents. And I think Mike’s points were true- however poorly, he was giving an F You to the rock elite, which I do indeed think was cool.

Sometimes I wonder if the guy is just subversive. Maybe he’s not even a Trump supporter.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 04:10:27 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 27, 2020, 05:32:26 PM »

I don't recall Mike calling out Mick for not being there - he called him out for "being chicken$#it to share the stage with the Beach Boys". He compared the Beach Boys constant touring to the Beatles not touring at all - not specifically John Lennon. I'm sure Mike thought "we lost a member, but we still tour; what's your excuse, Fab Four?"
When I look at the footage of that speech, I see a crazed look in Mike's eyes. I forget what the backstory to that night was; Mike had been fasting or something; or levitating. He does not look normal, even for Mike. It's interesting that he was on much better behavior a week later at the American Music Awards. And Brian read the same speech there that he'd read at the HOF.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: October 27, 2020, 05:35:27 PM »

So, Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes, or Mike Love at R&R HOF?  LOL

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 27, 2020, 05:41:31 PM »

So, Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes, or Mike Love at R&R HOF?  LOL

Ricky actually had biting humor that was clever and well thought out. Even for people who may think that he's a jerk and went too far, Ricky at least spoke coherently and intellectually. Mike just seems to be doing a stream of consciousness rant of ego garbage. Laughably hypocritical too.

Everything is to pump himself up at the expense of others. That's just his THING. Just like that lifestyles of the rich and famous clip, where he puts down Brian and Dennis, and then immediately pats himself on the back, like he's doing a "compare and contrast" exhibit at an elementary school show and tell. It's his Goofus and Gallant level childish tick. Goofus Love.

It seems the stream of consciousness dribble is his normal type of thing, sort of how he just rambles off lyrics on the way to recording sessions and considers that to be the final draft on his piece of art. To Mike's credit, I'm sure he wrote some decent lyrics sometimes via that method, and many songwriters including Brian will too sometimes. But a speech in that type of atmosphere is no place for a big stupid unprepared rant.

Just take a look at how Brian took the time to bring a prepared speech; granted it was probably Landy's idea, but still at least he presented himself as a respectful person with something well thought out to say. Mike might as well have dropped his pants and put a microphone up to his ass.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 05:50:53 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 27, 2020, 05:47:40 PM »

Just watched it again. It is pretty difficult to decipher exactly what he means for much of it. What is the connection between the US being 6% or the world's population and that being why Mike travelled to the ceremony with Mohammad Ali?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 27, 2020, 05:54:32 PM »

Just watched it again. It is pretty difficult to decipher exactly what he means for much of it. What is the connection between the US being 6% or the world's population and that being why Mike travelled to the ceremony with Mohammad Ali?

I imagine if you asked Mike or Bruce to explain their politics, they'd similarly spout off some stupid undecipherable drivel/rant to prove that they're the "smartest guys in the room", namechecking celebrities, and throwing around random tin foil hat percentages and numbers.

I posed the question previously in a different thread, and I'll pose it again here: when Mike said "they've been saying Mike's crazy for years" (I'm paraphrasing), who are the "they" in question? (I don't expect anyone to actually "know", but I'm just curious what everyone thinks).

Did people around Mike actually say "you're crazy" to him repeatedly for years? I'm curious what that might have been about. Maybe it was just a half assed attempt at self-deprecation, and not something that people were actually saying to Mike. But I do wonder if anyone tried to tell him that he had narcissistic personality disorder (but perhaps didn't know the booksmart term for it, and instead said "you're crazy" as an attempt to tell him about his NPD).

Did Mike expect the crowd to somehow think "gee, that Mike, he's right!" I just can't wrap my head around his drivel and what he was hoping to achieve.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 06:02:23 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 27, 2020, 06:02:05 PM »

Well, you know, in fairness, in the earlier parts of the speech about maybe 1/4 of the audience are cheering him on.

petsoundsnola
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx