gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:21:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trump fundraiser in Orange County featuring Mike and 'The Beach Boys'  (Read 38866 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2020, 07:36:57 AM »

Rab makes good points The guy that befriended KKK members? Daryl Davis, he's a musician too. What a man. He has certainly seen "a thing or two".

https://www.ted.com/talks/daryl_davis_what_do_you_do_when_someone_just_doesn_t_like_you/transcript?language=en

I can't thank you enough for posting this link. Everyone should really read/watch that...the part about the ice bucket! The Joe Rogan episode is very interesting as well: full of amazing stories with this guy.

"Very important, folks. If you have an adversary, you don't have to respect what they're saying, but respect their right to say it. And have that conversation. We spend too much time talking about each other, at each other, past each other, and not enough time talking with each other. That is respect. Okay?"

I have plenty to learn from this man. I hope one day to be as tolerant and open-hearted.

I also implore everyone to pick up a copy of Martin Luther King's "auto"biography. It is an amazing insight into how he used love and not hate to fight against bigotry.

While there is a lot of divisiveness in this thread, I do hope some avenues of tolerance can be opened here as well. I do understand that everyone has their own viewpoints, I don't think that any poster here seriously wishes ill-will on anyone else.

And to bring it back on topic, I am opposed to Mike playing this concert (for reasons stated above) and I would hope that these guys would be putting their focus on releasing Feel Flows instead. It is incredibly heartbreaking to think that this set (as it is right now) will likely never see the light of day. The music for the fans, for the good of our souls, should take precedence over anything else.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2020, 08:32:52 AM »

Know what's interesting? It is Trump supporters who are called fascists. It is Trump supporters who are called violent. It is Trump supporters who are called "termites". I even saw someone wish COVID-19 on someone in this thread. Ever think that the vehemently unstable discrimination and taunting of Trump supporters is actually a form of fascism: where you are name-calling, berating, and delegitimizing a group of people for being different than you?

It is interesting, because, in the past, I have always thought of left leaning people to be a lot more understanding about the plight and shortcomings of fellow human beings. But anytime I see someone out themselves as a Trump supporter they are disavowed, cast away, berated, name-called, in some cases they are physically assaulted by someone on the left. It's to the point where some of the biggest social-media companies are censoring and blocking people due to a political leaning...that in itself is definitely a form of fascism.

If you haven't already, read up on the tolerance of intolerance paradox.

I'm not saying that people need to sit idly by. I'm saying that if there are facts to be presented, present them in a rational manner. If someone is spreading disinformation, correct it without name-calling or discrimination. Some have been very cordial in this thread, some not. I just hope the latter (on whatever political side) would realize that mocking people, genitalia, wishing disease, or outright cutting ties with fellow posters isn't going to bring about the world we want to live in.

no, you don't need to respect fascist behavior or tolerate it.

But you also shouldn't fight bigotry with more bigotry. You shouldn't fight fascism with more fascism. You can't fight hate with more hate and expect a good outcome. There was an African American on Joe Rogan's podcast who talked about taking members of the Klan out to lunch just to talk with them. He ended up helping so many Klan members leave the KKK just by simply treating these people with a little dignity (when they probably didn't deserve it). He didn't stand for fascist behavior and fought against it, but he did so with an open mind/heart, instead of with hateful words and divisiveness.

This is exactly what I was trying to say.  If someone says something you personally find offensive or problematic, the answer is not to tell them to F off.  How do you think we got into this polarized mess that society is in right now?  People have always had different opinions and they always will, but now we seem to be unable to act like grown-ups about it.  That does NOT mean tolerating bigotry of any sort.  It means expressing one's opinions in a civil way, listening to others, and sometimes, agreeing to disagree.  

It's very sad to me that people who are here because they love the band might feel they can't be here because of their political beliefs.    
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 08:33:44 AM by marcella27 » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2020, 09:26:32 AM »

M&B are hurting the legacy big time....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2020, 09:52:36 AM »

Imagine a mirror universe where the Beach Boys individually and collectively had their sh*t together even 5%; imagine a mirror universe where something as SIMPLE and NO-BRAINER and COMMON as putting out a f**king boxed set was allowed to happen, and imagine also that Mike didn't play gigs like this.

As much as the BBs f*ck things up repeatedly, they're *still* so lucky that they're so often just a few SIMPLE and EASY decisions away from alleviating so many problems and bringing so much joy, and laying out a scenario where everybody is happy and commiserating about something good.

And they just CANNOT bring themselves to do it.

And history will marginalize them more and more because of it. They seem to mostly not care, and at least one member seems determined to hasten the demise.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Trixiecomments
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2020, 10:22:01 AM »

was Stamos there-- i was just surprised to hear hes doing the drive in shows--- hes been really loyal to mike hasnt he

So, will Mike turn on John Stamos after he tweets (and gets a lot of publicity) about wanting to be part of Ron Howard's Happy Days reunion fundraiser for Joe Biden?? 
https://twitter.com/JohnStamos/status/1318411763436515329
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2020, 10:26:54 AM »

Stamos has gone rogue! Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2020, 11:18:32 AM »

Luckily, Trump cut off travel to China early on.  
This one always makes us think over here. China - cases 85,685, deaths 4,634; USA - cases 8,428,386, deaths 225,044.
And over 98% from pre existing conditions....but that isn't the narrative is it?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2020, 12:02:05 PM »

was Stamos there-- i was just surprised to hear hes doing the drive in shows--- hes been really loyal to mike hasnt he

So, will Mike turn on John Stamos after he tweets (and gets a lot of publicity) about wanting to be part of Ron Howard's Happy Days reunion fundraiser for Joe Biden?? 

All that really is is Stamos trying to do some sort of softball subtle hint to let the world know that he isn't a Trump supporter. He probably thinks he's very clever by just tossing it out there in such a veiled manner, as opposed to actually taking a stand and speaking out against Trump or against Mike... but he's got his tongue too far up Mike's butt to do anything like that.

I don't think he would have even made this tweet if Mike wasn't associating with Trump in a very high profile manner right now. It's just Stamos' way of taking a little bit of the heat off of himself and nothing more.
Trixiecomments
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2020, 12:18:59 PM »

All that really is is Stamos trying to do some sort of softball subtle hint to let the world know that he isn't a Trump supporter. He probably thinks he's very clever by just tossing it out there in such a veiled manner, as opposed to actually taking a stand and speaking out against Trump or against Mike... but he's got his tongue too far up Mike's butt to do anything like that.

I don't think he would have even made this tweet if Mike wasn't associating with Trump in a very high profile manner right now. It's just Stamos' way of taking a little bit of the heat off of himself and nothing more.

Sidebar and nothing to do with Mike, except it must kill him:  a little searching shows Stamos was supporting and fundraising for Pete Buttigieg in the early days of the race. And he's been very active in efforts to register voters, etc.
SBonilla
« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2020, 12:27:09 PM »

It's putrid in here now, with all the Trump people spouting off.

Whew, it's time for me to levitate.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2020, 12:47:56 PM »

A lot of TDS on this thread. Whatever you think of him, please remember he is the first President in decades to not start a war. Brokered the middle east peace deal. Remember the guarantees from CNN, MSNBC, and many in the media? The economy will crash, Russian collusion will be proven, minority unemployment will hit all time highs, there will be a war with North Korea, the embassy will not be moved to Jerusalem, the stock market will crash,. How many of these have panned out? Trump donates his salary. But he won't denounce white supremacy right? Oh only dozens of times. Look at all the decrepit democratic run cities....hmmm? When a story comes out about Biden's corruption FB and Twitter ban it. They claim not verified while allowing countless Trump stories to remain up even after being debunked. The fact that this post will probably force this thread to be locked  because it shines a good light on The President after pages of open Trump bashing has been allowed might be something to think about.

A proud supporter of President Trump right there ↑

If you're so proud, share your name on here instead of hiding behind the "joe_blow" nonsense! Be proud of your support of Stormy Daniels' tiny mushroom-shaped-penis-having former lover!
Just stating facts and instead of refuting them you resort to name calling. Classic leftism. Scott Now....tell me what of the above list  WILL happen this time when Trump wins.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2020, 12:50:29 PM »

Go away to foxnews.com...

BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2020, 01:29:32 PM »

I know it ruins your point, but he liked many anti-Trump tweets and pro-Biden tweets before now. I spotted some when he posted his FF tweet that made everyone briefly label him our lord and saviour for a day.

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2020, 01:47:50 PM »

I know it ruins your point, but he liked many anti-Trump tweets and pro-Biden tweets before now. I spotted some when he posted his FF tweet that made everyone briefly label him our lord and saviour for a day.

I think Mike looks at it as a paying gig, and that is it.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2020, 02:05:50 PM »

Um, no. Not even close.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2020, 02:06:36 PM »

Fair enough, but Stamos liking a few tweets is still a pretty softball thing to do when he is still regularly stuck like glue to Mike who is now very famously in the most high profile of ways attempting to help Trump win reelection. Including mere days after Mike does this Trump stunt. Uncle Jesse wants to have it both ways. I call BS on that.

Nobody is forcing Uncle Jesse to take any sort of a more stern stand to show what he believes in, to show what's really actually important to him, that's clearly up to him. Clearly being buddies with Mike outweighs any urge he might have to take any more of a stand. I'm sure he's not alone, I'd assume that not all members of Mike's band are necessarily Trump voters either. Doesn't mean I have a hell of a lot of respect for them either for their continued association with Mike. My right to feel that way, just as it's your right if you want to think Trump and Mike are decent, non-narcissists with great capacities for empathy.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 02:43:34 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2020, 03:51:33 PM »

If I see just *one* more post downplaying the dangers of Covid here one more time, we’re going to have a serious issue here. I’m laying that out here right now

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2020, 03:55:48 PM »

New Mike interview (though conducted before the news hit about the recent gig):

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2020/10/20/beach-boys-mike-love-john-stamos-plan-trio-drive-shows/5992043002/

A lot of it is a carbon copy of the stuff he's been saying for years (it's not Brian, it's the people around Brian, etc.) It's so similar I was almost convinced they re-ran part of an old interview.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2020, 04:19:50 PM »

New Mike interview (though conducted before the news hit about the recent gig):

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2020/10/20/beach-boys-mike-love-john-stamos-plan-trio-drive-shows/5992043002/

A lot of it is a carbon copy of the stuff he's been saying for years (it's not Brian, it's the people around Brian, etc.) It's so similar I was almost convinced they re-ran part of an old interview.

LOL

I love it!

"I could work with Brian anytime," he says. "That's not a problem. It's a question of whether he's permitted to come out and play."

As Ray Lawlor said years ago: Brian has his own cell phone with an actual number. If Mike wants to call Brian up he's more than able to do so. In the age of COVID I would imagine that a face-to-face meet would be frowned upon due to their age/health. So why not a FaceTime call Mike? Haven't you heard of Zoom yet?

Also, I love that Mike just assumes that Brian would be fully willing to work with him. As this video suggests, I highly doubt that Brian even has any interest in working with Mike...that is unless the marionette was moving Brian's mouth to say those things for that interview.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2020, 04:24:32 PM »

Stamos has gone rogue! Evil

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2020, 04:26:52 PM »

Mike acts like the world revolves around him. He constantly gives Brian sh*t for his mental illness, but last time I checked, narcissist personality disorder is a mental disorder as well. He’s probably completely unaware but he’s a lot more like his uncle Murry than he’d care to admit

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2020, 04:38:08 PM »

Um, no. Not even close.

I will try again, Trump has offered Mike a cabinet position for adding surfing lyrics to speeches.  Mike got on board after Trump told him that he was the most fantastic surf word man in the entire universe.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2020, 04:38:59 PM »

Mike acts like the world revolves around him. He constantly gives Brian sh*t for his mental illness, but last time I checked, narcissist personality disorder is a mental disorder as well. He’s probably completely unaware but he’s a lot more like his uncle Murry than he’d care to admit

Absolutely. I mean, if we really think about it, just because someone with narcissist personality disorder is able to be highly functioning, give interviews, play shows, etc. etc., it's highly irresponsible of the people around that person - including the family and extended family of that person - to coddle that behavior.

I keep wondering about when Mike said "they say Mike's crazy... well they've been saying that for years" (I'm paraphrasing) at the infamous 88 speech... who was the "they" referring to? I mean, fans have hated Mike's guts for decades, but were they actually telling him that he had mental illness issues, or were music articles being written up inferring he had mental illness? I can only recall seeing articles talking about the Wilson brothers' mental health issues. That's widely known, widely talked about. So I don't see Mike's issues as being off limits as I'm predicting some people might try to jump in here to say.

To use the term "crazy" is a pretty big deal, yet I'm sure some will dismiss it as off the cuff. But who are the "they" that were telling him that he was crazy or had a mental illness? Serious question. Because people around him should have been trying to actually address his narcissist personality disorder in an actual productive way for so many years, yet of course it's also the hardest (if not impossible) of mental disorders to treat.

You'd *hope* that if anyone actually truly cared about Mike as a human being first, and not viewing him as a human ATM machine for what they can eventually get out of him from his will, that those people would have really, really tried to address this with him. Maybe someone did, and he lashed out at them, and maybe they are the "they" in his speech.

I truly wonder how many of the people who adamantly defend Mike (or Trump supporters, for that manner) have been victimized by narcissists in their life, are acutely aware of the disease of narcissism, and are not in some kind of denial about what it is and how it manifests. It really is one of the most unfortunate and repugnant things that a person can be afflicted with, and it's also absolutely tragic. To be truly aware of what narcissist personality disorder is, to connect those dots, and to have personally gone through dealing with that type of personality, would tend to make most emotionally intelligent people allergic to the personality traits of Mike and Trump. Like fingernails down a chalkboard.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 04:52:26 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2020, 04:43:21 PM »

He’s probably completely unaware but he’s a lot more like his uncle Murry than he’d care to admit

I'm honestly not sure if I've ever made that connection before...but it makes complete sense.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2020, 04:45:40 PM »

He’s probably completely unaware but he’s a lot more like his uncle Murry than he’d care to admit

I'm honestly not sure if I've ever made that connection before...but it makes complete sense.

Really makes me wonder about Mike's mom, and if she had parenting styles similar to her brother Murry.

Mike is a really, really f*cked up individual, yet I'm sure some of it is biological too, which is tragic.

I've tried really hard to have empathy for him as a human being, and I do have empathy that he got mentally warped and damaged in the 1960s by being screwed out of some credits unfairly. The fact that he tried to overcorrect with stuff like WIBN is unfortunate, but anyone - no matter how much they might understandably hate his guts, including OSD and literally everyone - should at least say that it must have sucked for him to have not gotten credit on some songs that he actually wrote. He'll get that much of a pass from me. (I still contend that Mike acting like a narcissistic twat even at a young age might have caused Brian to passive aggressively lash out at Mike by going along with the Murry screw job).

But pretty much everything else in Mike's narcissistic personality is on him, and on the sycophants around him coddling his behavior and ego for decades, who tell him that he is acting like anything resembling a decent human being. Shameful.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 05:03:11 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx