gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:37:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trump fundraiser in Orange County featuring Mike and 'The Beach Boys'  (Read 38873 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2020, 06:05:35 PM »

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-10-18/trump-fundraiser-california?fbclid=IwAR1EjEbVZYlnT3C10ZLUYk8ZjOabDlq1GiR10C5SG9p7Vp_KzPzdN-Rc8Hg

Screw Mike for dragging down the brand name once again.

There's no way that all the members of the band are in support of this. Mike just does this because he can, once again.

Huge, huge shocker with a massive narcissist loving another massive narcissist. What a surprise. Like flies on sh*t.

I am not a Trump supporter,  but what I do support is freedom of Speech. Celebrities use their platform all the time to make political statements. It is their right. Personally, if I love the art they produce, I could care less what politics or religion (TM) they push. Unless it's that Satanic death metal stuff. Too far for me. Lol!

Well said, right on.  The selective outrage over this is utterly ridiculous.  

Not under the brand name, when other members don't want that.
Don't use the name of the band for such a polarizing thing.

Just because he can, it doesn't make it right.

He could have the guts to go up there as simply Mike Love without using the brand name against the wishes of multiple other members, and he can also give the president a hand job under the podium while he's at it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 06:25:44 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2020, 06:22:17 PM »

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-10-18/trump-fundraiser-california?fbclid=IwAR1EjEbVZYlnT3C10ZLUYk8ZjOabDlq1GiR10C5SG9p7Vp_KzPzdN-Rc8Hg

There's no way that all the members of the band are in support of this. Mike just does this because he can, once again.

Huge, huge shocker with a massive narcissist loving another massive narcissist. What a surprise. Like flies on sh*t.

I am not a Trump supporter,  but what I do support is freedom of Speech. Celebrities use their platform all the time to make political statements. It is their right. Personally, if I love the art they produce, I could care less what politics or religion (TM) they push. Unless it's that Satanic death metal stuff. Too far for me. Lol!

He could have the guts to go up there as simply Mike Love without using the brand name against the wishes of multiple other members, and he can also give the president a hand job under the podium while he's at it.

Although I see your point on some level and normally would even agree somewhat with this, as a conservative myself who has had for years to put up with all the artists I listen to constantly virtue signaling and supporting politicians and causes I can only roll my eyes at, I simply could not care less that Love is doing a concert for Trump under the Beach Boys' name.  And I don't even like Trump all that much myself.  If I have to power through listening to my musical heroes praising idiotic politicians and causes, then you can put up with Mike Love performing some sh___y concert (with or without using the band's name) for a guy who probably won't see a second term at this point. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2020, 06:29:35 PM »

I am not a Trump supporter,  but what I do support is freedom of Speech. Celebrities use their platform all the time to make political statements. It is their right. Personally, if I love the art they produce, I could care less what politics or religion (TM) they push. Unless it's that Satanic death metal stuff. Too far for me. Lol!

Well said, right on.  The selective outrage over this is utterly ridiculous. 

We are in a pandemic. Any musician, liberal or conservative, who is a part of an event like this deserves to be called out on it. And having seen photos of recent Trump events, I highly doubt the audience will be socially distant from each other.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2020, 06:32:24 PM »

Although I see your point on some level and normally would even agree somewhat with this, as a conservative myself who has had for years to put up with all the artists I listen to constantly virtue signaling and supporting politicians and causes I can only roll my eyes at, I simply could not care less that Love is doing a concert for Trump under the Beach Boys' name.  And I don't even like Trump all that much myself.  If I have to power through listening to my musical heroes praising idiotic politicians and causes, then you can put up with Mike Love performing some sh___y concert (with or without using the band's name) for a guy who probably won't see a second term at this point.  

The bottom line is: I'm sure all the members of BRI didn't envision something like this would happen when they let Mike use the brand name. Not to mention even if they could've foreseen something like this back then, to have tried to stop him from using the brand name starting in 1998 would have been a massive legal headache, financial drain, not to mention a massive emotional headache that would've dragged on for years. So I can't put this on them.

Mike is a bully who has gotten what he wanted. Full control over doing what he wants as The Beach Boys, without ever having to ask anyone else in the band what they think. And in fact I have zero doubt that Mike is HAPPY to be pissing off Melinda and others who he probably wishes ill upon. In no way, shape, or form does using the band name somehow become an ethically acceptable situation when it's against the wishes of multiple other members, and when it's enough of a big deal to those other members that they've publicly spoken out against Mike to major news sources regarding their opposition, now for the SECOND time in a year that has had the fewest live BBs shows of any year since the band's inception.

Just a small handful of shows that the "BBs" have played in 2020, yet two (so far) are so abhorrent to Brian and Al (not to mention a huge amount of fans across the isle and across the 2 message boards) that they'd attempt to stop Mike, and he gives zero fucks. What a big, strong, unwavering man he is.  Roll Eyes

I'm sure Mike is gleefully awaiting some sort of reward from Trump in whatever way that manifests.

And this doesn't even begin to address the safety implications of the show. If Mike were to get COVID-19 from this show, I imagine there would not be much sympathy for him from many places.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 06:37:40 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2020, 06:37:11 PM »

was Stamos there-- i was just surprised to hear hes doing the drive in shows--- hes been really loyal to mike hasnt he
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2020, 06:39:53 PM »

was Stamos there-- i was just surprised to hear hes doing the drive in shows--- hes been really loyal to mike hasnt he

The show hasn't happened yet. I'm sure Stamos won't be there, because he probably doesn't want the heat from playing such a show.

Yet truly, Stamos should get some heat for continuing to associate with this assclown. It's getting to the point with Mike playing abhorrent show after abhorrent show that Stamos is going to get asked by some interviewer about his association with such a moron, yet if he continues to brownnose Mike, he'll probably just deflect and give a non-answer like "well, I don't have anything to do with that" or some other BS.

Mike has politicized "The Beach Boys" in a way that never needed to happen.

Just think about this: in 2020, Mike has expounded effort into killing Dennis material from Feel Flows, expounded effort to make a public statements defending his playing a show about killing animals...yet has the chutzpah to pen a (horrendous) "Viral Super Bowl" song, despite playing a show that itself could best be described as a "Viral Super Bowl" in front of a bunch of spreading unmasked idiots, at the home of no good punk Palmer Luckey, a white supremacist sympathizer who poses for photos while making white power hand gestures.

What a guy that Mike Love is. What a guy. A guy who WONDERS why people don't like him.

And if heaven forbid Trump is reelected, Mike will have been part of the reason why that happened.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 08:57:19 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2020, 08:27:00 PM »

Interesting comment by StageWrangler:
https://twitter.com/hashtag/MikeLove?src=hashtag_click
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2020, 08:44:38 PM »

Birds of a feather.... Wink
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2020, 08:44:51 PM »

Maybe we can get trump to ask Mike to release the Feel Flows box set.
An executive order would be nice.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2020, 08:52:48 PM »

More great press for Mike:

https://twitter.com/mcthatgirl/status/1317962192935964676?s=21
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2020, 09:16:11 PM »

As if 2020 couldn't get any worse ...

No Feel Flows box set, AND Mike playing a fundraiser for Trump.

Yikes.
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2020, 09:49:45 PM »

I think this is going to drag the band down and alienate young listeners moving forward. This leaves me absolutely livid, as I love this group with all my heart, but my brain is shattered. C'mon. This is horrible optics, and is just going to completely kill this band's legacy. This is not a drill.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2020, 09:59:25 PM »

I think this is going to drag the band down and alienate young listeners moving forward. This leaves me absolutely livid, as I love this group with all my heart, but my brain is shattered. C'mon. This is horrible optics, and is just going to completely kill this band's legacy. This is not a drill.

it's a Love thing
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2020, 10:04:26 PM »

Look, I don't want to be too much in poor taste, but there'd be a certain poetic irony in Mike going ahead with this and contracting COVID from the recently-infected President.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 10:05:02 PM by Tom » Logged
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2020, 10:06:55 PM »

Mike can do whatever he wants under his own name.  What he should in no circumstances do, however, is play a fundraiser two weeks ahead of the most politically charged election ever, and do it under the name of the Beach Boys, a name that is indelibly linked with other people that may not share the same views.  

Is he actually trying to go down as the most hated man in the history of rock and roll?  I'm being serious.  Do you think it's some kind of pathological need to keep the attention on himself?  To be the best at something, anything, even if it's being the best at being the worst?  

I felt like this after the trophy hunting show..I just absolutely DESPISE him for continually embarrassing his former bandmates and for letting his fans down over and over and over.  I live in a city that votes 85% Democrat.  In all seriousness, I wouldn't feel comfortable going out in a BB tshirt right now.  I can separate the band from that idiot, but most people can't.  

I don't know much about the licensing agreement, but knowing what he's like, I don't know why Brian and Al ever agreed to the arrangement that allowed him to have the name.  I'm not saying that they should have been able to look into the future and anticipate that Mike would use the name to try to re-elect a misogynist, morally bankrupt president, but they should have known that no good would come of letting him be "the Beach Boys".  They must really be questioning the decision now.  
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 10:07:45 PM by marcella27 » Logged
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2020, 10:10:14 PM »

Very hard to defend these actions from Mike in 2020. It reminds me of George Harrison's quote about how Mike never really listened to what the Maharishi was teaching. Mike could have easily gone into the sunset and enjoy life, but here we are...

Hadn't heard that George quote before, very apt indeed. How embarrassing that Mike still talks about how chummy he was with the Beatles in Rishikesh, when both George and John are on record calling him an asshole.

I'm not that acquainted with the full scope of Maharishi's teachings, but it seems like Mike cherry picked the parts that made him feel nice & peaceful within himself, while completely failing to cultivate peace and goodness in his interpersonal relationships. This is an 'enlightened' and supposedly peace-loving man who willingly let his daughter die rather than pay for her medical costs. 'Cool head, warm heart' indeed.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 10:13:54 PM by Tom » Logged
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2020, 10:28:20 PM »

Wheras I certainly don't agree with this gig (mainly because of Trump) - It appears that most people have certainly forgot that the BB's (yes as some would say the REAL BBs) have played MANY such fund raisers over the years including Inaugurations (1977 etc), but as its Mike involved such memories seem to have been swept under the carpet - Just saying  Roll Eyes
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2020, 10:45:40 PM »

Wheras I certainly don't agree with this gig (mainly because of Trump) - It appears that most people have certainly forgot that the BB's (yes as some would say the REAL BBs) have played MANY such fund raisers over the years including Inaugurations (1977 etc), but as its Mike involved such memories seem to have been swept under the carpet - Just saying  Roll Eyes

Apples and oranges. None of those events were remotely as polarizing for the entire country as this one.

America is literally on the brink of Civil War. Teetering right on the edge. This is not just some innocuous inauguration that some people merely "don't like". Even for somebody who's a fan of Trump, they must realize just how much of a massive political statement it is to associate the band/brand with this particular man.

On top of that, none of those past concerts were played simultaneously with multiple members of the band publicly denouncing the gig and signing petitions begging for the person in charge of the band to not play the gigs. (I realize that petition is in regards to the *other* horrible show they played earlier this year, but it's all part of the same Trump family association garbage)

Not a comparison that makes any sense whatsoever to past BBs shows for politicians. Nope.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 10:46:23 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2020, 09:12:33 AM »

Once again, wise words from David Crosby re: Mike Love:

https://twitter.com/thedavidcrosby/status/1318221408871145483
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2020, 09:44:15 AM »

Not a fan of politicization. I don't mind art that speaks in a political manner, but when groups simply play their unrelated tracks at an event like this it just seems like a lazy play for support.
It's a far cry from something like "What's Going On", or stuff like that. Spreading a message and talking about the world. I don't like when artists do events like this for anyone. (Remember the cringe-fest for Clinton in 2016...all those artists who have probably never even voted... yikes)

It's his right, it's legal and he has the right to use the name. I wouldn't even call it entirely morally wrong. But it is absolutely a half-assed and entirely non-artistic show of support. The bad kind of politicization for sure.

Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2020, 09:49:18 AM »

Gosh, I hope Mike doesn't get the covid, because I'd really feel sorry for the covid
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2020, 10:01:03 AM »

I think it's totally fine for artists to be involved in politics. They're citizens too. However, in no way to do I think Trump is a typical politician. And if Mike wants to do this super-spreader event, so be it, but not using the Beach Boys name. He should use his own name. Attach his own name to the Trump train, not the band's name and its legacy. There should be some kind of exception to the license agreement where political events require all board members to sign off.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2020, 10:39:49 AM »

I think it's totally fine for artists to be involved in politics. They're citizens too. However, in no way to do I think Trump is a typical politician. And if Mike wants to do this super-spreader event, so be it, but not using the Beach Boys name. He should use his own name. Attach his own name to the Trump train, not the band's name and its legacy. There should be some kind of exception to the license agreement where political events require all board members to sign off.

Agreed. He's only getting these shows cos no one else will do them.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2020, 10:59:12 AM »

So basically what I'm reading is that the problem isn't that you don't agree with what Mike is doing... but you just don't agree with his politics.

Okie dokie, join the club. 99% of the artists I listen to would probably call me horrible things because I happen to disagree with them.

Nathan Snyder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2020, 11:02:41 AM »

As a huge Beach Boys fan and a strong conservative centered around the importance of values, morals and ethics, I'm proud that Mike is playing the Trump sponsored concert.   For all my other musical 'heroes' that have supported the politics of hatred, divide, racism and suppression of freedoms (liberals), I'm glad that the Beach Boys band name is being represented on the right side of history.    Congrats to Mike.   Remember, the thoughts shared on these boards are not as widespread as you'd like to believe.   Americans in the vast majority of states, cities and counties elected Trump as our President because he stood for the political decisions/directions we so desired after being on the brink of a civil war with President Obama.   The seething anger of racism generated by that man's words and actions were unlike anything this country had saw, but the media and these boards rarely bothered to notice or report.  
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx