gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:39:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Great YouTube Review Channel  (Read 2541 times)
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2020, 07:25:53 PM »

Just wanted to mention a great channel by a guy named Giggens. He's reviewed almost all Beach Boys' albums and a great deal of their solo albums; as well as many other artists.

His reviews are beyond detailed and an obvious labor of love. You can definitely feel how excited he is in all of reviews and its absolutely infectious.

You can check his work out here: https://www.youtube.com/user/Giggens
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 07:30:33 PM »

I've watched many of his videos. He seems like a cool/good guy.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 07:50:36 PM »

I've watched many of his videos. He seems like a cool/good guy.

Agreed! I love how he REALLY gets into whatever he's talking about.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 12:21:34 AM »

Yes, Giggens is a great guy. A couple days ago, he posted a video about his 8 track tape collection - including several BB's titles.
Reverberation
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 12:56:50 PM »

I love giggens. He seems like a good lad. Would hang out with. I like how he talks about all aspects of the band and their lesser reviewed albums, bringing up a lot of specific details and going in depth about the more obscure avenues of the band, rather than the same endless videos about Pet Sounds and their more commercial material that doesn't really cover new ground. I always wondered if he lurked or posted here. I'm sure he must
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 02:29:09 PM »

I enjoyed his 15 most underrated/overlooked tracks--a lot of very astute choices there. Would like to see him put those into some kind of listening sequence, though--could be an interesting challenge!

Spoilers below, so if you haven't watched the video and want to experience his list as it is revealed, stop reading here.

15. Heads You Win, Tails I Lose
14. Make It Big
13. Had to Phone Ya
12. My Diane
11. Custom Machine

10. Your Summer Dream
9. A Thing or Two
8. With Me Tonight
7. Lonely Sea
6. Airplane

5. Where I Belong
4. Goin' On
3. At My Window
2. Only With You
1. From There to Back Again

Those of you reading here at this point might want to take a crack at putting these in a listening order (as opposed to "correcting" Giggens: after all, everyone is entitled to their own "15 most overlooked/underrated" list and you are free to post those lists somewhere else...

There's a way to maybe link the "love songs" together to get one "side" of an LP from it, but ordering the balance of the tracks could be tricky.
SurfinNJ
Smiley Smile Associate

La ola es mia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 09:19:25 AM »

I just discovered his channel a few weeks back.  I really like how he includes the history of the band around the time of the album to help you put it in context.

I also got a kick out of his listing "make it big" on his list of most underrated tracks. It's a personal favorite of mine as well.

RZA
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 09:44:36 AM »

Yes, I have seen several of his videos. I was trying to find rare reviews of less popular Beach Boys albums and found him. But it inspired me to review every single Beach Boys album. Unless any have been blocked, they should all still be up.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
SurfinNJ
Smiley Smile Associate

La ola es mia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 09:49:03 AM »

I love giggens. He seems like a good lad. Would hang out with. I like how he talks about all aspects of the band and their lesser reviewed albums, bringing up a lot of specific details and going in depth about the more obscure avenues of the band, rather than the same endless videos about Pet Sounds and their more commercial material that doesn't really cover new ground. I always wondered if he lurked or posted here. I'm sure he must

I think this might be him:  http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?action=profile;u=6448

Looks like he posted a couple of times in 2014, someone was rude to him and he stopped.   :-/

RZA
SurfinNJ
Smiley Smile Associate

La ola es mia

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 10:19:56 AM »

Yes, I have seen several of his videos. I was trying to find rare reviews of less popular Beach Boys albums and found him. But it inspired me to review every single Beach Boys album. Unless any have been blocked, they should all still be up.

Just saw your review of summer in paradise, looking foward to watching your other reviews.  It was refreshing that you didn't trash the album, not even Mike's attemp at rapping, lol.

I also love the cover to the album.  I just wish it had come in a regular jewel case, it doesn't fit on my shelf next to the rest of my BB albums.

RZA
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 11:08:27 AM »

Just saw your review of summer in paradise, looking foward to watching your other reviews.  It was refreshing that you didn't trash the album, not even Mike's attemp at rapping, lol.

I also love the cover to the album.  I just wish it had come in a regular jewel case, it doesn't fit on my shelf next to the rest of my BB albums.

Hey, get the Euro version of S.I.P. - That's in a standard jewel case AND better mix
SurfinNJ
Smiley Smile Associate

La ola es mia

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 12:26:57 PM »

Hey, get the Euro version of S.I.P. - That's in a standard jewel case AND better mix

If I can find it for a good price, I will. IDK if I want to spend 50-60 bucks on it.  I don't like the American Flag cover as much though.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 05:08:24 PM by SurfinNJ » Logged

RZA
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx