gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:16:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Murry Wilson LP  (Read 8420 times)
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2020, 09:37:59 AM »

The record arrived in the mail today.  I must say it is very well done.  I am glad I have this in my collection!
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2020, 06:14:29 AM »

Thanks, Matt. I've made a sh*t ton of records in my lifetime and this one was the most fun, hands down. As available copies for sale dwindle (halfway there), I am stuck with 200 extra jackets I have to figure out what to do with though. I'm not printing more vinyl, so need a different solution.
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2020, 11:34:38 AM »

Rocker: I saw someone mention that Dennis had something to do with a song called Run River Run. I have no proof. But, during my research for the Murry album, Alan told me this: "There are a couple of other tapes from The Snow era, 2'' 16 track, "artist unknown" but the client is designated as "Bri-Mur," which makes me think this might be associated with another project of Murry's.  The date on the first tape is 10/2/70, and the titles are RUN RIVER RUN and WIND RIDER." This could possibly be a connection.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2020, 11:43:18 AM »

Rocker: I saw someone mention that Dennis had something to do with a song called Run River Run. I have no proof. But, during my research for the Murry album, Alan told me this: "There are a couple of other tapes from The Snow era, 2'' 16 track, "artist unknown" but the client is designated as "Bri-Mur," which makes me think this might be associated with another project of Murry's.  The date on the first tape is 10/2/70, and the titles are RUN RIVER RUN and WIND RIDER." This could possibly be a connection.

Thanks, Junkstar! As mentioned, I could be totally misremembering, I just seemed to recall reading about it.
How interesting that the song that comes into closer look is called "Run River Run", given Dennis' (and Carl's) "River song" that probably also started during these years.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2020, 11:54:30 AM »

The copyright.gov Virtual Card Catalog has the following copyright records:

RUN, RIVER, RUN; w & m Bill Granstaff. 2 p. © Bri-Mur Pub. Co.; 28Oct70; EU214207.

WIND RIDER; w & m Bill Granstaff. 2 p. © Bri-Mur Pub. Co.; 31Dec70; EU223513.

Perhaps the tapes are Mr. Granstaff’s songwriting demos?

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2020, 01:29:55 PM »

My copy of the LP arrived today. Those are some very interesting liner notes by David Marks. Also, I appreciate the bonus packaging items.
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2020, 07:11:01 PM »

The copyright.gov Virtual Card Catalog has the following copyright records:

RUN, RIVER, RUN; w & m Bill Granstaff. 2 p. © Bri-Mur Pub. Co.; 28Oct70; EU214207.

WIND RIDER; w & m Bill Granstaff. 2 p. © Bri-Mur Pub. Co.; 31Dec70; EU223513.

Perhaps the tapes are Mr. Granstaff’s songwriting demos?

Must be!
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2020, 05:41:53 AM »

Searching for Bill Granstaff info took me down a wild rabbit hole. One cool find was this Pray For Surf page with some great Desper and Vail quotes: https://prayforsurfblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/fred-vail-on-break-away-and-murry.html
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2020, 06:59:31 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:55:03 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2020, 02:32:58 PM »

I think every time Vail has mentioned The Parade, he's been thinking of Snow after reading this link. He sent me on the exact same chase too (Gail, the brothers), and I never got any response.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2020, 07:08:04 PM »

For those interested in the Michael Shelley show debut of So Much in Love from the new Murry album, it's here in the replay stream:  https://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/97478

Was played again today and I got to hear -- excellent.  Impressed by this labor of love.  Curious perhaps but all the more interesting because : )

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2020, 08:33:44 AM »

Michael has a great show. I'm humbled to be included, TBH. Even though I grew up with him, so did a ton of other musicians he could be choosing from.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2020, 05:40:08 PM »

Michael has a great show. I'm humbled to be included, TBH. Even though I grew up with him, so did a ton of other musicians he could be choosing from.

Humility is important and Michael indeed has a great show, but you deserve kudos -- and airplay.    Smiley

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2020, 06:27:55 AM »

The Boston Globe (US newspaper) did a short piece on the Murry LP today: https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/11/22/beach-boys-fan-tracks-down-elusive-songs-by-wilson-dad/
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2020, 09:04:23 AM »

The Boston Globe (US newspaper) did a short piece on the Murry LP today: https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/11/22/beach-boys-fan-tracks-down-elusive-songs-by-wilson-dad/

As a MA native, The Boston Globe and Herald are two different papers; regardless, I’m happy to see you get the exposure and hope to buy a copy if you stil have any left on Discogs.

Also, the paper couldn’t find a recent picture of M&B?  Grin Mike Kowalski and Randall Kirsch are in it; hell, even a C50 picture would have made a little more sense because Murry is Brian’s father and Mike’s uncle.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2020, 11:04:10 AM »

Poor choice for the photo, they should have used a vintage shot of the BBs instead of the latter-day touring act.

Regardless, I'm glad to see you getting the exposure, George!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 11:05:31 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2020, 02:32:13 PM »

Brett Milano, the author of the article, posted on my Facebook page that he submitted the article with the cover art and photos of me. Looks like the editors of the Herald made a decision to give Mike some Love.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2020, 01:03:50 PM »

BTW, Google's alert algorithm called my attention to the Boston Herald write-up.   So it's like the leading "Beach Boys" news story of the moment.   Very nice!   
And, yes, weird that the photo editor decided to go with a pic of Mike Love and crew.  Perhaps an omen that the Mike-Murry collaboration "By His Side: When Jesus Calls His Soldiers" will resurface in time for Volume 2?? Wink
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2020, 08:37:37 AM »

BTW, Google's alert algorithm called my attention to the Boston Herald write-up.   So it's like the leading "Beach Boys" news story of the moment.   Very nice!   
And, yes, weird that the photo editor decided to go with a pic of Mike Love and crew.  Perhaps an omen that the Mike-Murry collaboration "By His Side: When Jesus Calls His Soldiers" will resurface in time for Volume 2?? Wink

You have no idea how much I would like to record that. Hell, I'll hire a full gospel choir. I may have said it before, but there are at least 6 more Murry songs being held by a variety of (living) folks ready to be recorded if they ever decide to share. Let's hope they don't die with them.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2020, 10:22:01 AM »

Just catching up on this, yes FFS at least tag the article about the music of Murry Wilson with a photo of the Beach Boys featuring at least one guy named Wilson! That's so absurd it's funny. But kudos on the press coverage in Boston!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx