gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:27:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Murry Wilson LP  (Read 8416 times)
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2020, 12:27:15 PM »

My Murry Wilson research/recording project has been completed. Go to this link to see what I found out about Murry's life as a composer and how to buy the album, if interested. Happy to answer any Qs too.

https://boltrecords.net/2020/10/10/murrywilsonlp/
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 01:17:45 PM »

Hey, this is a very cool project. Congrats. 

Enjoyed your take on "For You and Me."  Such a campy, pro-military ditty. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but interesting nonetheless...
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 01:39:08 PM »

That looks really interesting. Keep us updated if it's becomes available from anywhere in Europe as postage is $27.

Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 02:26:36 PM »

That looks really interesting. Keep us updated if it's becomes available from anywhere in Europe as postage is $27.

What record store do you like to buy from in Europe? I'm happy to try to stock one with a few copies.
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 02:29:15 PM »

Hey, this is a very cool project. Congrats. 

Enjoyed your take on "For You and Me."  Such a campy, pro-military ditty. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but interesting nonetheless...

Finding For You And Me was a huge moment in the project. I'd been looking for it for a couple of years, not even knowing Murry had cut it as a demo. Twice. On acetate. Of all the songs, that one was a lot of fun to record, if not the most fun. Great band too with J Walter Hawkes and Daria Grace.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 07:41:11 PM »

Fascinating! I'll have to check out the samples. Congratulations on completing the album, that's quite the backstory.

Watch out for snakes!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 03:37:24 AM »

What record store do you like to buy from in Europe? I'm happy to try to stock one with a few copies.

I guess if you wanted it to be available for as many people as possible then getting Amazon to ship it from the UK or Europe is best but maybe that's too difficult.

I sometimes buy from these guys - www.hhv.de in Germany but they maybe only deal with distributors. They do have a lot of independent stuff though.

Probably very difficult with Corona now I guess as not much traveling goin on.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 03:38:33 AM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 06:13:43 AM »

They look like a chain, but I could be wrong. I do have an indie record shop in Berlin I like a lot. Let me talk to them, and I'll let you know what happens.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 09:41:42 AM »

They look like a chain, but I could be wrong. I do have an indie record shop in Berlin I like a lot. Let me talk to them, and I'll let you know what happens.

It's not a chain but mostly mail order or pickup as shop is small and mainly clothes plus they have a huge amount of records.

Cool, sounds good, I do a hell of a lot of record shopping in Berlin so know most places. Let me now If I can help with anything.

Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 03:36:26 PM »

That's great. OK, I just sent them (HHV) a note and I'll let you know what I find out.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 08:26:10 AM by Junkstar » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 12:26:31 PM »

Congratulations Junkstar! Fantastic what you were able to find. I think I've mentioned it before, but this musical archaeology is fascinating.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 06:34:10 PM »

Bought it--looking forward to it! I love labors of love, and we all know Murry can use all the love he can get!

Thanks for such diligence and dedication--but don't forget that you might get visited by the ghost of Murry demanding his royalties!!  LOL
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 06:58:47 PM »

You have a buyer! This looks like an amazing project, and I salute your dedication.
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2020, 10:26:06 AM »

Thank you all for buying. As you can imagine, this thing cost a fortune, and to get back some of the investment means a lot to me.

Peadar: HHV declined to carry a few copies. I'll try another Berlin shop. I really love 'The Record Store' so will ask them.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2020, 11:10:13 AM »

Congrats Junkstar on a super project, I know there are fees involved (but bump up the price to cover those) so how about listing it on Discogs ?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2020, 11:57:57 AM »

Peadar: HHV declined to carry a few copies. I'll try another Berlin shop. I really love 'The Record Store' so will ask them.

That's a pity. I haven't been to the 'The Record Store' for a good few years.

I was in a band a couple of years ago and Dodo Beach stocked the record for us. Might be worth a go - https://www.dodobeach.de/

Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2020, 06:06:53 AM »

I just wrote to them. Thanks. Let's see what they say. I have less than 200 copies left (pre-orders have been strong), so maybe they will bite.

Edit: I also just wrote to the Pet Sounds Shop in the UK. Maybe that could be a solution.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 12:32:03 PM by Junkstar » Logged
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2020, 06:09:25 AM »

Congrats Junkstar on a super project, I know there are fees involved (but bump up the price to cover those) so how about listing it on Discogs ?

Rob: It's now on Discogs (for the US). FYI, two more days at the pre-sale price ($18), then it bumps up to $22 on Friday.  
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 07:09:33 AM by Junkstar » Logged
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2020, 06:42:29 AM »

Today is release day. Thanks to all the interest (and the orders) that came from this board. I mean, like, a lot of orders. I really appreciate it. Less than 200 copies left, and I've got 100 to pack and ship today. Also, I've continued to update the essay page. A few new artifacts and another song has been confirmed as written by Murry (as per Ginger Blake). Thanks again.

https://boltrecords.net/2020/10/10/murrywilsonlp/

« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 06:43:01 AM by Junkstar » Logged
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2020, 02:14:41 PM »

Excited to hear the LP soon! And appreciate the wealth of information on the site.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2020, 09:04:23 AM »

Michael Shelley just gave So Much In Love a spin on 'FMU, I was wondering if he'd be playing some cuts from the album today.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2020, 12:59:48 PM »

Michael Shelley just gave So Much In Love a spin on 'FMU, I was wondering if he'd be playing some cuts from the album today.

Damn, I missed the Shelley show on WFMU. Was at the post office shipping about 100 copies (thank you all. seriously). He's a great guy.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2020, 02:35:00 PM »

George, please check your PMs.
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2020, 10:09:56 AM »

For those interested in the Michael Shelley show debut of So Much in Love from the new Murry album, it's here in the replay stream:  https://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/97478

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2020, 09:12:58 AM »

For those interested in the Michael Shelley show debut of So Much in Love from the new Murry album, it's here in the replay stream:  https://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/97478

Sound really good!

BTW, do you, or does anyone know, if Murry and Dennis wrote a song together in the early 70s? I somehow seem to remember hearing about that, but it's possible that I am a little confused and mix this up with something else.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx