gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:26:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl's personal music tastes  (Read 5497 times)
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2020, 09:37:55 PM »

That is pretty cool.  What were the circumstances around you getting backstage to speak with Carl?

I was a junior in high school. I presented myself to the promoter as a reporter/photographer for my school newspaper. That was a slight exaggeration. But I did get into the hall before the guys arrived. When the guys arrived at the boys club, Dennis looked incredibly cool in a striped tee shirt, but he wouldn’t let me take a picture until he got cleaned up. Carl spoke to the promoter about the show not being sold out and suggested the tickets might have been lower priced.  Carl was totally sweet and charming.  He was curious about my girlfriends little tape recorder.  He asked “American.” Nope, Japanese.  Bruce was an AH, answering ever question with “We’ll know when we get home and see Brian.” I asked Al if they had the cool white suits I saw them wear the year before in Buffalo.  He said yes, but did not engage. I was impressed when we heard the NYC horn players practicing “Wouldn’t it be Nice.” My girlfriend was totally shocked when one of the Pickle Brothers called someone a “ c*ck sucker.” Audible gasp. LOL Just before they went on stage, they posed for a group photo (in Ian’s book) as they sang “Chattanooga Choo Choo.” Al sarcastically asked if that was my “official camera?” a Kodak instamatic I used while my Minolta was in the repair shop. Bruce was concerned that the flash would make a glare from one of his fillings. BB humor. Great memories.

Another story of Bruce running scalding and frigid with fans. Has anyone in the band ever talked about Bruce's bipolar tendencies?
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2020, 10:26:22 PM »

That is pretty cool.  What were the circumstances around you getting backstage to speak with Carl?

Al sarcastically asked if that was my “official camera?” a Kodak instamatic I used while my Minolta was in the repair shop.
Ah, how soon Al forgot that while his family lived in Rochester, NY for a few years while he was growing up, his father worked for Kodak in addition to teaching at the Rochester Institute of Technology.
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2020, 07:41:16 AM »

Would love to have heard Carl with The Band or Little Feat. Great thread. Carl had great taste in music.
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2020, 08:04:19 AM »

I recall Carl saying that one of his favorite new artists was Warren Zevon, this must’ve been in 1976 after Carl had sung on Desperados Under the Eaves.  Carl and Billy Hinsche apparently didn’t know whose session they were coming in to the studio to do vocals on, they thought it was a Jackson Browne session and wondered who this weird guy was who was running around the studio.  It was Mr. Warren Zevon!!!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2020, 10:00:48 AM »

I recall Carl saying that one of his favorite new artists was Warren Zevon, this must’ve been in 1976 after Carl had sung on Desperados Under the Eaves.  Carl and Billy Hinsche apparently didn’t know whose session they were coming in to the studio to do vocals on, they thought it was a Jackson Browne session and wondered who this weird guy was who was running around the studio.  It was Mr. Warren Zevon!!!

Was Zevon already buddies with David Marks at that point? Maybe that's how he got on Carl's radar.
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2020, 04:54:31 PM »

I think David Marks had already roomed with Warren prior to Carl doing that session, but it doesn’t seem that Carl connected with Zevon because of David. I just think Carl and Billy thought they were going to a Jackson Browne session.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx