gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:53:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl's personal music tastes  (Read 5495 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2020, 03:21:57 PM »

I found a 1983 article where Carl named his top summer tunes: They were Summertime Blues by Eddie Cochran, Hot Fun in the Summertime by Sly and the Family Stone, Summer in the City by the Lovin' Spoonful, Saturday in the Park by Chicago, Honky Tonk Women by the Stones, Dancing in the Streets by Martha and the Vandellas, With a Little Help From My Friends by the Beatles, Louie Louie by the Kingsmen, Stickball (referred to by Carl as "60s Party Song") and Do It Again by some band called the Beach Boys. Interesting little look at Carl's personal musical tastes-he was a man of mystery so I find glimpses of that interesting
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 04:35:51 PM »

What I find most interesting, besides Hot Fun being included on SIP, is that Dancing in the Streets was in the BB set list for a short time, in I believe the Summer 1991...as part of a dance medley trio with DDD and DYWD. I always wondered why Dancin in the Streets was included as it had never been before. Thanks, now I know why.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 04:44:25 PM »

Wonder how he felt after hearing the results of the SIP cover...his vocal was the only decent thing about it

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 10:00:41 PM »

What I find most interesting, besides Hot Fun being included on SIP, is that Dancing in the Streets was in the BB set list for a short time, in I believe the Summer 1991...as part of a dance medley trio with DDD and DYWD. I always wondered why Dancin in the Streets was included as it had never been before. Thanks, now I know why.

It was also in the shared Encore on the Beachago 89 tour, If i recall there was a rumour (at the time) that the BBs & Chicago were to record a version
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 11:08:49 PM »

Interesting tidbit, thanks! I love almost all those songs. I read somewhere, or maybe it was a TV interview, that Carl decided to work with Randy Bachman (ahead of KTSA) because "Randy likes to rock and I like to rock", or something along those lines.  I do feel like Carl had a tendency to want to do some harder songs.  As others here have said, his solo stuff was much better live than on the albums, and you get a sense of that "wanting to rock" on the live recordings. I think it's kind of too bad the BBs didn't delve into some slightly harder rock at some point.  You hear it on "In Concert", where they manage to totally rock out on songs like Help Me Rhonda.  I would love to hear more like that. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 06:19:59 PM »

Interesting tidbit, thanks! I love almost all those songs. I read somewhere, or maybe it was a TV interview, that Carl decided to work with Randy Bachman (ahead of KTSA) because "Randy likes to rock and I like to rock", or something along those lines.  I do feel like Carl had a tendency to want to do some harder songs.  As others here have said, his solo stuff was much better live than on the albums, and you get a sense of that "wanting to rock" on the live recordings. I think it's kind of too bad the BBs didn't delve into some slightly harder rock at some point.  You hear it on "In Concert", where they manage to totally rock out on songs like Help Me Rhonda.  I would love to hear more like that. 
I've got a recording of Carl on a Seattle radio station from 77 or 78, just hanging out with the disc jockey, and picking records from the collection he wants to hear. Off the top of my head, some of the things he picks are Little Feat, Emmylou Harris, the Rolling Stones, Bee Gees, Bad Company....I'll have to dig it out and listen again. I remember that the dj mentions Levon Helm and Carl says "his daughter Amy sure is sweet".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 01:41:00 AM »

I've got a recording of Carl on a Seattle radio station from 77 or 78, just hanging out with the disc jockey, and picking records from the collection he wants to hear. Off the top of my head, some of the things he picks are Little Feat, Emmylou Harris, the Rolling Stones, Bee Gees, Bad Company....I'll have to dig it out and listen again. I remember that the dj mentions Levon Helm and Carl says "his daughter Amy sure is sweet".

IIRC Ed Roach (or another BBs insider) mentioned that Carl blasted out The Band's "Rag Mama Rag" while driving the tour bus.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 01:35:13 PM »

Didn't someone post here once that when Carl lived in Colorado he sometimes played with a blues band at a bar or something to that effect?

"Shut up you guys"- Carl Wilson.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 09:14:57 PM »

Didn't someone post here once that when Carl lived in Colorado he sometimes played with a blues band at a bar or something to that effect?

Yes, I think it was either c-man or Ian; I also remember reading that here.
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 09:52:02 PM »

Others he mentioned many times are Chuck Berry and Arethra Franklin. Indeed I'd say female soul singers had quite an impact on Carl's vocal style as he took on more of a lead singer role.

Also David Marks has said that Duane Eddy was an influence on him and Carl's early guitar style.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 02:13:13 AM »

Others he mentioned many times are Chuck Berry and Arethra Franklin. Indeed I'd say female soul singers had quite an impact on Carl's vocal style as he took on more of a lead singer role.

Also David Marks has said that Duane Eddy was an influence on him and Carl's early guitar style.

There is a Carl interview on youtube (about 20 mins. long IIRC) and he talks a little about his own taste. He says he loved the stuff out of Memphis (Stax).

Oh really? That's cool. I'd love to hear Carl play some blues. I wonder how he sounded like.
He participated in a Chuck Berry/Bo Diddley all star band, along with Ron Wood, Mick Fleetwood a.o., which is available on DVD.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 09:08:49 AM »

Does anyone know of, or have a good copy of the band performing "Dancing In The Street"? They really rock that one and I'd love to have a somewhat clean copy.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2020, 05:14:55 PM »

I don't but I remember listening to a pretty good version of it from the 1991 Tour on YouTube. It was the Garden State Arts Center show back in August of 91 I believe if you want to listen to it
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2020, 05:18:45 PM »

Audience recording but you'll get the jist of it

https://youtu.be/rl_9BzGQtsQ
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2020, 06:17:50 PM »

There is a Carl interview on youtube (about 20 mins. long IIRC) and he talks a little about his own taste. He says he loved the stuff out of Memphis (Stax).

Oh really? That's cool. I'd love to hear Carl play some blues. I wonder how he sounded like.
He participated in a Chuck Berry/Bo Diddley all star band, along with Ron Wood, Mick Fleetwood a.o., which is available on DVD.

There is a sampling of a concert on YouTube where they play Student Demonstration Time live, and Carl plays the guitar solo in a really electric bluesy style, with a slide. It's awesome. I wish I could find it again. I've tried, but no luck. It's only a few songs, and the name didn't indicate the songs at all.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2020, 02:01:34 AM »

There is a sampling of a concert on YouTube where they play Student Demonstration Time live, and Carl plays the guitar solo in a really electric bluesy style, with a slide. It's awesome. I wish I could find it again. I've tried, but no luck. It's only a few songs, and the name didn't indicate the songs at all.

With a slide?! Are you sure it's not Eddie Carter? I never head of Carl using a slide. That would be a very interesting find!  Shocked

- Jack Rieley
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2020, 09:57:58 AM »

[/quote]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzxcDFcFRE0

I don't guess that is what you are speaking of, but it is a pretty cool version of the song.  Especially the extended instrumental part.

patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2020, 05:04:15 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzxcDFcFRE0

I don't guess that is what you are speaking of, but it is a pretty cool version of the song.  Especially the extended instrumental part.
[/quote]

That's correct. It's not the one I was referring to, but damn! It's pretty good!
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2020, 05:06:48 PM »

With a slide?! Are you sure it's not Eddie Carter? I never head of Carl using a slide. That would be a very interesting find!  Shocked
[/quote

I've never heard Carl with a slide, but I've never heard Ed Carter with a slide either. I'm actually just assuming it was Carl, as there was no video for this particular concert. It could have been Ed Carter.
Azmo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2020, 07:26:12 AM »

When The Beach Boys played the Pittsfield Boys Club in 1968, I got to chat with Carl before the show in the dressing room.  When I asked him what he was listening to he told me Cream, which surprised me!
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2020, 10:01:41 AM »

When The Beach Boys played the Pittsfield Boys Club in 1968, I got to chat with Carl before the show in the dressing room.  When I asked him what he was listening to he told me Cream, which surprised me!
1968 Shocked? What was the setlist?
Azmo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2020, 04:15:34 PM »

1968 Shocked? What was the setlist?
OMG I forgot to write it down!  Pretty much like the sets on BB on tour:1968; kicking off with Darlin and doing Friends and Little Bird, etc.  When I got inside before the show, Alex Chilton was on stage sitting with an acoustic guitar singing Darlin. I thought that was pretty cool.
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2020, 04:48:59 PM »

That is pretty cool.  What were the circumstances around you getting backstage to speak with Carl?

Azmo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2020, 05:54:37 PM »

That is pretty cool.  What were the circumstances around you getting backstage to speak with Carl?

I was a junior in high school. I presented myself to the promoter as a reporter/photographer for my school newspaper. That was a slight exaggeration. But I did get into the hall before the guys arrived. When the guys arrived at the boys club, Dennis looked incredibly cool in a striped tee shirt, but he wouldn’t let me take a picture until he got cleaned up. Carl spoke to the promoter about the show not being sold out and suggested the tickets might have been lower priced.  Carl was totally sweet and charming.  He was curious about my girlfriends little tape recorder.  He asked “American.” Nope, Japanese.  Bruce was an AH, answering ever question with “We’ll know when we get home and see Brian.” I asked Al if they had the cool white suits I saw them wear the year before in Buffalo.  He said yes, but did not engage. I was impressed when we heard the NYC horn players practicing “Wouldn’t it be Nice.” My girlfriend was totally shocked when one of the Pickle Brothers called someone a “ c*ck sucker.” Audible gasp. LOL Just before they went on stage, they posed for a group photo (in Ian’s book) as they sang “Chattanooga Choo Choo.” Al sarcastically asked if that was my “official camera?” a Kodak instamatic I used while my Minolta was in the repair shop. Bruce was concerned that the flash would make a glare from one of his fillings. BB humor. Great memories.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 06:15:14 PM by Azmo » Logged
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2020, 08:59:09 PM »

Thanks for sharing that- I really appreciate it.  Other than Carl, doesn't sound like they were too engaging.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx