gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:14:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CD The Great Beach Boys.  (Read 1700 times)
Paul Childs
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2006, 12:07:32 PM »

Just purchased this CD of their very first recordings. Two of the tracks 'Surfer Stomp' and 'Balboa Blue' don't sound nothing like them, what are these exactly? and who played on them? I had a similar LP in the early 70s And two of the tracks were by someone else I can't remember  now if it were these.
Can anyone tell me?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 01:02:21 PM »

Those are Marketts songs, don't know if the Boys covered them or not, though.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jason
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 01:11:52 PM »

You just got ripped off. You want the early recordings? Track down the Lost and Found CD from 1991. The best way to acquire these recordings, at least until Brad Elliott's "First Wave" set is released, and that one is looking less and less likely as time goes on (and what the hell happened to Brad anyway? Heart attack, wasn't it? Wink).
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 11:22:31 PM »

Track down the Lost and Found CD from 1991.

He's right. That is a great CD with even greater liner notes, although the rumour of the album "Remember The Zoo" is started or repeated there. Smiley
You will be amazed how great those sessions and masters sound. That is the official version of the song "Surfin"" on that CD.  Full title: "The Beach Boys: Lost & Found 1961-1962".
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 11:23:43 PM by Andreas » Logged
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 03:37:57 AM »

And if you can't find the 'Lost & Found' CD (which I believe is a bit hard to find these days), there's also the 'Studio Sessions '61-'62' released on Burning Airlines (cat. no.    PILOT062). Different cover, but exactly the same content. Steve Hoffman himself didn't know about it, so it must be some kind of grey area release.

Link: http://www.101cd.com/detail.aspx?productid=39023
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx