gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:51:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian, Carolyn Williams, and 1979-1982  (Read 13837 times)
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2020, 12:52:35 PM »

One caveat...there are a few inaccuracies for the sake of sensationalism in the Kent story

No doubt about it. But one of the things I like is how he paints Carl's public persona.

Thanx to CenturyDeprived for the scans
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2020, 09:15:11 PM »

A Twitter account of a Carolyn Williams responded to a tweet from Brian about books and she said that Endless Wave was a really great book. So regardless of what people think of that book and Rocky, it’s interesting that Carolyn (if it’s her) maybe agrees with some of Rocky’s views. This same account has also posted various compliments to other posts on his account.

I checked out the twitter account in question ( @1Mahalo ), and my guess, and it's just a guess, is that it IS her.  Based on the tweets, who the account is following, what the account is tweeting, local L.A.-oriented tweets/following etc., it has the appearance of authenticity.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2020, 11:15:24 PM »

Wow.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2020, 09:09:36 AM »

I find this period fascinating as well.  I am pretty sure I saw a picture of Brian and Carolyn once, probably on this board somewhere, but I can't find it now.
Join The Human Race
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2020, 10:33:20 AM »

Here a few screenshots of her commenting on Brian's Twitter account. For someone who was treated so shabbily by the BB/management/land, Carolyn still holds Brian in high esteem. That's the main theme of the BB; the humanity of Brian can reach anyone and everyone. Everyone loves Brian; as Al said about Love You, it should be The Beach Boys Love Brian.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 10:34:47 AM by Join The Human Race » Logged
SBonilla
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2020, 11:44:52 AM »

The second time I met Brian was at Tower Sunset. He was out of it. Carolyn was with him. He was slowly making his way through the store, his eyes fixed on the promotional mobiles hanging from the ceiling. I walked up to them and reintroduced myself to him. He did not look down, he did not say anything, he just held out his hand. Sad day.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2020, 12:34:36 PM »

The second time I met Brian was at Tower Sunset. He was out of it. Carolyn was with him. He was slowly making his way through the store, his eyes fixed on the promotional mobiles hanging from the ceiling. I walked up to them and reintroduced myself to him. He did not look down, he did not say anything, he just held out his hand. Sad day.

Any chance this comes from you?

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9198.msg664766.html#msg664766

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SBonilla
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2020, 12:56:27 PM »

Nope. Wasn't me.
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2020, 04:36:33 PM »

I just spent considerable time on YouTube searching unsuccessfully for that 1983 interview with Carl where he briefly mentions Carolyn Williams, and then says something like "I don't know how much I can say about that." I wonder if it's been pulled for some reason. Does anyone have that link handy?
SBonilla
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2020, 04:41:52 PM »

I just spent considerable time on YouTube searching unsuccessfully for that 1983 interview with Carl where he briefly mentions Carolyn Williams, and then says something like "I don't know how much I can say about that." I wonder if it's been pulled for some reason. Does anyone have that link handy?
If Elora doesn't have it, she can find it!
Join The Human Race
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2020, 04:42:41 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcOHwarMNKk

He speaks about Carolyn at 2:37.
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2020, 05:59:46 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcOHwarMNKk

He speaks about Carolyn at 2:37.
  Thanks so much!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2020, 04:01:21 AM »

Nope. Wasn't me.

Ok, it was worth a try.  Smiley

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Join The Human Race
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2020, 03:48:56 PM »

I am trying to date that 1983 interview with Carl. I think it's Feb-March. I did a quick look at bellagio and the only TV appearance listed for Carl is Solid Gold; unless I'm missing something. Brian was fired in November 1982. What was he doing throughout December? He went to the hospital in January before being taken off to Hawaii. He stays in Hawaii until March, I believe. Carl said that Brian has lost 60 pounds; Brian really lost that weight fast if this is only February/March. I know his food intake was monitored 24/7 and limited to like 800 calories or something ridiculous. I also think he was on a lot of IVs early on in the process.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 03:51:25 PM by Join The Human Race » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2020, 04:36:40 PM »

I am trying to date that 1983 interview with Carl. I think it's Feb-March. I did a quick look at bellagio and the only TV appearance listed for Carl is Solid Gold; unless I'm missing something. Brian was fired in November 1982. What was he doing throughout December? He went to the hospital in January before being taken off to Hawaii. He stays in Hawaii until March, I believe. Carl said that Brian has lost 60 pounds; Brian really lost that weight fast if this is only February/March. I know his food intake was monitored 24/7 and limited to like 800 calories or something ridiculous. I also think he was on a lot of IVs early on in the process.

You might be able to find the interview you are looking for - and date it - if you go to newspapers.com; that's where I got those scans from. It's a rabbit hole, I warn you, you may never get enough of that site, it's a treasure trove for BBs and all else.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 04:37:28 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Join The Human Race
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2020, 02:11:38 PM »

Thanks, CD. I'm doing some perusing now. Here is what I have found. The bit about Brian not realizing he was already wearing pants is an excerpt from the 1st autobio
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 02:50:52 PM by Join The Human Race » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2020, 02:45:00 PM »

"at his own request"

Join The Human Race
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2020, 01:20:15 PM »

At his own request or else Landy wouldn't let him eat?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2020, 06:19:25 PM »

I really don't know anything about Carolyn Williams, but I can't believe she was a good influence on him. Brian with Carolyn = Brian coked out of his mind (and who knows what else), obese, unhealthy; Brian with Landy = slimmed down, exercising, not using hard drugs (although some of the stuff Landy and co. were giving him probably was not very good).
Yes, Landy turned out to be a pretty bad guy, but at least initially, he got results. Something that no other doctor or family member had been able to do.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2020, 07:10:46 PM »

I’ll argue that the sh*t Landy had him on was worse than anything Brian ever took himself

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Join The Human Race
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2020, 07:20:13 PM »

I think it's unfair to blame Brian's problems on just one person. Does Marilyn deserve the blame for Brian 1974-75? Like Carolyn, Marilyn had to raise young children while trying their best to help Brian. Brian's issues needed to be treated by professionals (not Landy, but alas); a lot of people have loved Brian over the year but couldn't get him to kick his bad habits. That's due to Brian's mental health issues; which is hard for even the most loving layman to treat. The story of Carolyn is interesting because it really seems like she was not in this for the money. The reports of her being offered somewhere between $20,000 - $100,000 just to go away with her not wanting the money. She even said she could take it if Brian wanted to be gone, but she said she just wanted to hear it from Brian himself. This episode really sees how vicious Landy was from the get go of his return; especially if he was planning this for 6 months with the BB and their management. And then in 1984, she filed ethical complaints to California, foreshadowing the eventual lawsuits against Landy.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2020, 11:40:56 PM »

I think it's unfair to blame Brian's problems on just one person. Does Marilyn deserve the blame for Brian 1974-75? Like Carolyn, Marilyn had to raise young children while trying their best to help Brian. Brian's issues needed to be treated by professionals (not Landy, but alas); a lot of people have loved Brian over the year but couldn't get him to kick his bad habits. That's due to Brian's mental health issues; which is hard for even the most loving layman to treat. The story of Carolyn is interesting because it really seems like she was not in this for the money. The reports of her being offered somewhere between $20,000 - $100,000 just to go away with her not wanting the money. She even said she could take it if Brian wanted to be gone, but she said she just wanted to hear it from Brian himself. This episode really sees how vicious Landy was from the get go of his return; especially if he was planning this for 6 months with the BB and their management. And then in 1984, she filed ethical complaints to California, foreshadowing the eventual lawsuits against Landy.
I don't think it was a matter of Landy being vicious; the Beach Boys and their management agreed to his plans. Everyone agreed it was gonna take extreme measures to save Brian's life. I'm glad they did. Where it went wrong was when Landy refused to leave after x number of years.
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2020, 11:02:14 AM »

I don't think it was a matter of Landy being vicious; the Beach Boys and their management agreed to his plans. Everyone agreed it was gonna take extreme measures to save Brian's life. I'm glad they did. Where it went wrong was when Landy refused to leave after x number of years.
And also when Landy started composing music with Brian and being Brian's "Executive Producer" while still being his psychologist and getting paid to be his psychologist.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2020, 01:11:14 PM »

I get it that Brian was on a very self-destructive path with coke and overeating in 1982, and I get the argument that Brian was a difficult patient, and that it took extreme measures like Landy's to get him off the path that he was on. So, yes, Landy's radical intervention in that period achieved the desired result, and it's understandable why Carl et al. were initially happy with him.  

But, man, Landy was a bad guy.   Yes, Brian did indeed need to get off his diet of cocaine, birthday cake and Marlboros.    But a daily smorgasbord of Eskalith, Serentil, Cogentin, Xanax, pot and Navane wasn't necessarily all that much better.   And in fact may have been worse in some respects.

Aside from being hacks as medical professionals, the Landy crew's separation of Brian from his family was absolutely inexcusable.  I get that it may have been necessary to separate Brian from a few people who were toxic for him, but teenagers Carnie & Wendy?  Come on.   And Audree?  Think about that one for a minute.  Audree Wilson spent almost the entire '80s separated from her oldest son.  How painful must have that been? Especially after the loss of Dennis.  

To say, "well, don't forget that Landy saved Brian's life" misses the mark a bit.  It's a bit like talking about some legitimate act of heroism of a military leader... that was followed by a long string of war crimes committed by the same dude.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 02:37:57 PM by juggler » Logged
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2020, 06:08:24 PM »

Landy separated him from Carl, too, which must have been especially painful right after Dennis died. Professionally, of course, Brian and Carl were allowed to be together, but they were never allowed to be together alone. Landy, or one of his assistants, was always with them. Even when they were onstage Landy was always just off to the side of the stage.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx