gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:57:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BB's Airline Commercial  (Read 2467 times)
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2020, 11:06:55 AM »

Have folks seen the BB's airline commercial on youtube? A very, very short snippet, you can see Brian in the background. I  think '69-'70 for Eastern Airlines
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 11:07:53 AM »

Great video of the BBs in the home studio. Hell, BW looks like he is into it as well.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 11:19:58 AM »

do you happen when this showed up on youtube?
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 11:48:57 PM »

Is that Al sitting on the edge of the piano?  What the hell is with the polka-dot robe (?) he's wearing?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 12:59:01 AM »

I assume this was part of a longer commercial? If only there was more footage like this. Love their early-70s looks and it's always great to see Brian with them.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 10:00:51 AM »

This was aired on the AMC channel back around 2000 when AMC did a Beach Boys-themed block of programming (back when it was still "American Movie Classics", and not "The Walking Dead Channel.")

The main deal was showing the "Endless Harmony" documentary. It was announced that they were also going to have another show consisting of various rare clips of the band. For some reason, that full "special" never aired, and instead AMC took all those clips and would randomly show them as filler in between programming. Sometimes it was in between BB-related programming, and other times they randomly showed it during other programming.

It was a bunch of truly rare material. Some of it was from "Endless Harmony", but some was unique and otherwise had never aired in decades, if ever. They showed the full "Pacific Ocean Blue" promotional film, the "Good Timin'" music video, that airline commercial thing, and some other stuff I'm blanking on at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 10:02:20 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
spgass
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 10:49:30 AM »

do you happen when this showed up on youtube?

The vidoe on youtube says it was posted three weeks ago
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 12:36:55 PM »

Here's a related post with info on the same set of AMC clips:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,27340.msg665274.html#msg665274

Yes, those were part of the AMC "Am Pop" series which aired that summer. They'd do beach movies, then run various music clips in between, and those were a part of the collection. AMC also aired a full hour block of the music clips as one compilation, again including those above.

In past years there have been some great discussions on this board about those clips and the origins. If anyone is interested in learning more about them, and what else was aired on AMC, search the archives here, and if I can find all the good discussions I'll try to post links. Ed Roach described how he found that Eastern Airlines clip, and that is part of a longer commercial with even more music. That talk show clip was also discussed pretty extensively, but wow what a cool clip from the Friends era. I used to have a list of what Am Pop ran, and I have the whole thing on VHS. There was one that stuck out but not in a good way lol..."Muscle Bustle" sung by Dick Dale and Donna Loren.

So those clips hold a special place for me as a fan. I remember I came home late on a Saturday night from bar-hopping (I was not driving that night), turned on the TV and AMC happened to be on. Within a few minutes the Good Vibrations video came on the screen. I was literally flabbergasted, I had never seen it and didn't know it existed. I tried to grab a blank VHS and start recording, but it was almost over. Then I checked the listings for the next time they would be airing these clips...and I swore I recorded it, but going back later I couldn't find it. I was a VHS pack-rat, I had way too many of them. I purged a lot of them about 12 years ago, just left them out for the taking, but I still have multiple boxes full of them packed away. But I could never find that Am Pop recording with the GV promo film.

I tried contacting AMC directly multiple times asking about the Am Pop series and where or if I could buy a copy, and they either didn't reply or didn't have anything to offer. Then I discovered some of the BB's groups on Yahoo, and the Smile Shop, and posted a few want ads. Fortunately a fan who is still on this board came through, and if I recall I sent a full copy of "Inside Pop" in return for the Am Pop compilation and a few other goodies that come and go from YouTube every so often. Many, many thanks to that fan who hooked me up with what was a probably still is one of my favorite BB's videos of all time, that 1966 GV promo film.

Good memories of some great BB film.

Ed Roach found and rescued that airline commercial after seeing it at a film festival years ago, and he described it on this board years ago too. Just use the search function for his name and posts and it should come up. That very short clip included in the AmPop series was indeed part of a longer clip and campaign for the airline featuring the Beach Boys. Maybe someday the general public will get a chance to see the full version.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 12:37:52 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 12:57:51 PM »

As I remember it, having seen it when it originally aired, Bruce talked about the airline while This Whole World played in the background.  It seems Bruce said the band flies Eastern to see this whole world, or something like that.  I do remember that the commercial freaked me out and I only remember seeing it once.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 04:41:54 PM »

Had no idea until now that This Whole World was used in an airline commercial.  Makes sense.  Did Brian originally write it with the airline theme in mind?
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 01:44:32 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:50:04 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 07:37:29 AM »

Had no idea until now that This Whole World was used in an airline commercial.  Makes sense.  Did Brian originally write it with the airline theme in mind?

This is well over a year after he wrote the song, so no.

What they're playing in this clip is a version of Forever. The alternate TWW they prepared for the ad does still exists in the vaults, so hopefully that's something we'll hear if Feel Flows ever gets released.

Doesn't sound like "Forever" at all. Someone mentioned it was the alt. tag to TWW in this thread:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,27340.0.html

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 08:13:55 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:49:58 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 11:06:51 AM »

Had no idea until now that This Whole World was used in an airline commercial.  Makes sense.  Did Brian originally write it with the airline theme in mind?

This is well over a year after he wrote the song, so no.

What they're playing in this clip is a version of Forever. The alternate TWW they prepared for the ad does still exists in the vaults, so hopefully that's something we'll hear if Feel Flows ever gets released.

Doesn't sound like "Forever" at all. Someone mentioned it was the alt. tag to TWW in this thread:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,27340.0.html

I mean... Objectively, that's the Forever progression with some new vocals improvised over it. The group also put together an alt mix/edit of This Whole World for the ad but that's not what they're performing here.

Well, I don't know about TWW because I'm not familiar with any outtakes, alternate version etc.
The chord progression though is a pretty common one. And the scat vocals don't sound as if they belong to that song. Could be just a jam, or part of a song that has yet to be released. But I'm not saying mine is the only possibile guess. It's just what it sounds like to my ears.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 11:59:39 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:49:50 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx