gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:17:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Sampled by Fleet Foxes  (Read 2362 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2020, 06:55:04 AM »

New Fleet Foxes album dropped suddenly today. Give it a listen, it's excellent.

A track towards the end samples a BW voice clip from the Pet Sounds sessions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2SZCIZrllc&ab_channel=FleetFoxes

Robin Pecknold talking about Pet Sounds in a recent interview:

"Pet Sounds is a big influence generally speaking. This is definitely the most studio rat, Brian Wilson-y, overdub-y of any of our records. That approach is what made me want to get into the music in general. The little bits of Brian Wilson dialogue on that song are taken from my favorite piece of music ever, which is this a cappella clip of him laying vocal after vocal for this idea for “Don’t Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder).” That piece of music is what made me want to be a musician, hearing him, just with his voice, building this whole world and how magical that felt, how he didn’t even need a guitar. It had this egalitarian wonder that was super inspiring to me as a teenager. Same thing with growing up in Seattle and having Kurt Cobain nearby making us all think we could do that too."
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 07:55:56 AM by Niko » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 10:15:53 AM »

New Fleet Foxes album dropped suddenly today. Give it a listen, it's excellent.

A track towards the end samples a BW voice clip from the Pet Sounds sessions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2SZCIZrllc&ab_channel=FleetFoxes

Robin Pecknold talking about Pet Sounds in a recent interview:

"Pet Sounds is a big influence generally speaking. This is definitely the most studio rat, Brian Wilson-y, overdub-y of any of our records. That approach is what made me want to get into the music in general. The little bits of Brian Wilson dialogue on that song are taken from my favorite piece of music ever, which is this a cappella clip of him laying vocal after vocal for this idea for “Don’t Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder).” That piece of music is what made me want to be a musician, hearing him, just with his voice, building this whole world and how magical that felt, how he didn’t even need a guitar. It had this egalitarian wonder that was super inspiring to me as a teenager. Same thing with growing up in Seattle and having Kurt Cobain nearby making us all think we could do that too."

Thank you for posting this - I was listening to the radio yesterday when they announced that Fleet Foxes had suddenly released a new album, and played a track from it immediately. This is the first I'm hearing this one, and had no idea Brian was sampled on it! Very cool tribute to BW, and I can't wait to dig into the new album in full.

P.S. - Do I need to sign a guarantee or waiver or apologize if I listen on YouTube first?   LOL Cool Guy Razz Wink Grin

I have to agree with Robin, when I first got the Pet Sounds reissue and heard that vocal background, that amazing "wall of Brians" erupting into those harmonies, I was mesmerized. I still am whenever I listen, and while it's not my favorite bit from Pet Sounds (how can you choose when there are so many? ) it ranks right up near the top for me too. Here was one young guy with one working ear no less covering every voice from bass to soprano alone at the microphone and building an amazing harmony part piece by piece. Still as impressive and inspiring as any music you could cite, within that one snippet.

Very, very neat to hear such a tribute released in late 2020. It also is part of the many reasons why Pet Sounds just ranked #2 album of all time on the Rolling Stone list: The album is timeless though approaching 55 years old next year, and it continues to influence and inspire artists 2 complete generations removed from its original era. And in this case, look at the impact an unused vocal overdub outtake had on a prominent musician like Robin. Amazing.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 02:31:44 PM »

The moment that got me was hearing the stereo pet sounds set way back on Christmas 97 and hearing the back up vocals for Wouldn’t It Be Nice . Just blew me away

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 04:15:18 PM »

P.S. - Do I need to sign a guarantee or waiver or apologize if I listen on YouTube first?

LOL and when you make crystal-clear, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you're listening on YouTube don't you really mean that you illegally downloaded this album from Napster/Limewire/PirateBay?? Because clearly that's what "I listened to the tracks on YouTube" means these days!

I have to agree with Robin, when I first got the Pet Sounds reissue and heard that vocal background, that amazing "wall of Brians" erupting into those harmonies, I was mesmerized. I still am whenever I listen, and while it's not my favorite bit from Pet Sounds (how can you choose when there are so many? ) it ranks right up near the top for me too. Here was one young guy with one working ear no less covering every voice from bass to soprano alone at the microphone and building an amazing harmony part piece by piece. Still as impressive and inspiring as any music you could cite, within that one snippet.

I was knocked on my *ss when I first heard it. I mean, I had to listen again and again and again to make sure I actually heard something that beautiful. I don't know how many other people can be hypnotized/mesmerized by that little snippet, but I still get goosebumps when I listen to it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 06:29:57 PM »

Interesting piece.

Is it me, but with this and their last album, has Fleet Foxes morphed from an Indie Folk style band into more of a Progressive Rock band?

Almost reminds me of Grizzly Bear.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 06:32:42 PM »

Almost reminds me of Grizzly Bear.
Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqVxd57H-cA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeImOrp2bFI

Anyway off topic. Smiley
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 03:00:48 AM »

Nice tribute. I love their first album!
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 05:08:12 AM »

Is it me, but with this and their last album, has Fleet Foxes morphed from an Indie Folk style band into more of a Progressive Rock band?

Indie folk has come and gone as far as mainstream interest goes - it only really lasted a couple years in the earlier 2010s.
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 06:48:21 AM »

Very cool. I had already heard that track a couple times and didn't pick up that there was a sample of Brian.

Re: Fleet Foxes, Helplessness Blues was my favorite; that was gorgeous. I didn't get into that last album as much. This one is growing on me.

I like Grizzly Bear too, but for me it's all about Daniel Rossen. I am a HUGE fan of that guy.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 06:51:35 AM by Mr. Tiger » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx