gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:52:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vega-Tables single thoughts  (Read 2391 times)
AaronReturn2005
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2020, 04:04:16 PM »

The article from late April 1967 in which Derek Taylor says that "All 12 songs for SMiLE are finished and will be released very soon" has some information on what was going to be the lead single from SMiLE. While describing "Vega-Tables" as a "light and lyrical, day to day, green grocery song on which Al Jardine sings a most vigorous lead", he describes the Wonderful Version 3 session as a improvisation session [for Paul McCartney of all other things, causing more suspicion] despite fans thinking it was for the song PROPER due to the fact that all arrangements of that song had minimal instrumentation and some excerpts being included on Unsurpassed Masters Volume 18 [which should be a Smiley Smile-themed release. Guessing the compiler thought they were trying an "happier" rendition similar to the SMiLE version but performed in a different key before going back to the darker one].

In the version known as the "April Assembly" [the T-2580-2 version is similar, but shorter], you can hear that Brian doesn't know where to place the "Do A Lot" chorus, placing a failed take of it [aka the "breakdown" chorus to fans of classic SMiLE boots] after the second verse, while overlaying the second verse with the second half of the "I know you'll feel better..." verse and the Vocal Insert, and two lengthy versions of the chorus appear after the wordless verse.

It's clear he hasn't figured out the structure yet, and when he said a version of SMiLE without H&V and Vegetables that would've followed Smiley Smile it meant he was already done with both songs after the lacklustre Smiley sessions, despite fully re-recording the first 1:30 of Vegetables [as it was now known]. And when Mark Linnet attempted his own version of Vega-Tables for the GV box set, he used the "fade" segment as an outro to his reconstruction and "Do A Lot" as a chorus despite '67 Brian most likely wanting both segments to enter the cutting room floor.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 03:03:22 PM by AaronReturn2005 » Logged
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 02:04:58 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:43:33 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
AaronReturn2005
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 01:59:27 PM »

[Deleted]
At least that's what we think it is.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 02:58:43 PM by AaronReturn2005 » Logged
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 03:58:26 PM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:43:16 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 09:42:21 AM »

I love Vega-Tables, and the Boyd-Linett 2011 mix is my favorite.  If something like that had been released as a single in May '67, I honestly think it could have been a hit.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 09:42:55 AM by juggler » Logged
AaronReturn2005
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 02:23:46 PM »

Listening to the Secret Smile April Assembly clearer, it's the second half of the second verse where the overdubs are clearer. The "candy bar" verse is on top of it, making it illegible. As for the first half ["i'm gonna keep well"], the final verse overdub seems to just be the backing vocals, can't hear the final verse's lyrics at all. So I agree with another poster's theory.
AaronReturn2005
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 03:09:35 PM »

I think Alan Boyd's edit for the Smile Sessions is pretty damn close to what it eventually arrived at, maybe with the Ballad Insert and last verse the other way around.

Maybe not. Let's consider that the Cantina version of H&V doesn't use all the segments recorded around that period, and beforehand.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 07:27:56 AM »

I love Vega-Tables, and the Boyd-Linett 2011 mix is my favorite.  If something like that had been released as a single in May '67, I honestly think it could have been a hit.

So much agree. To my ears, unlike most other SMiLE songs, the 2011 mix sounds like it was recorded yesterday - the mix is so clean, and the song itself (along with 'Cabin Essence') is the pinnacle of Brian's studio creativity...but yet it's catchy, quirky yet somehow approachable. And those closing harmonies ("I know that you'll feel better if you send us in your letter...") are still some of my favorite harmonies The Beach Boys ever created/released.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
AaronReturn2005
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 01:48:45 PM »

Update: Having listened to the 1988 Mark Linnet edit of Vega-Tables a few times ago, I noticed there's something clearly missing in-between the second and third chorus. While they both end as session takes in the Secret Smile version, there's a bad spilt between the second chorus and the left-mostly-unaltered-from-the-multitrack third chorus. I think it would've been like this, since it's the only way I see it work (sorry BWPS stans, I heard a fanmix that did similar but used the slow Ballad Insert):

Verse 1/Verse 2/Chorus/Verse 3 (wordless intro)/Chorus/Verse 4 (Uptempo Ballad Insert)/Fade Chorus
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 01:49:43 PM by AaronReturn2005 » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx