gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:20:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Loose, Speculative, Controversial, Feel-Flown Thread about FEEL FLOWS  (Read 4702 times)
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: September 18, 2020, 01:15:02 PM »

Here is the Smiley Smile thread you've all waited for -

This thread will be free from any sense of law and order (within board rules). A place where posters are free to post wild and freely regarding anything that comes into their minds about Feel Flows, right or wrong good or bad glad or sad.

Have at it and don't forget to HAVE A GREAT DAY too.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 01:20:09 PM »

I'll begin:

Is Mike Love really the reason the set is being blocked? Can one man block it all? Is he that powerful? Is he a hero or villain? My opinion: probably not, at least not solely.

Does AGD have the whole scoop, and he is just being very quiet? Or is he cast out of the inner circle, not saying a word because he doesn't want to reveal HE KNOWS NOTHING. My opinion: "no one knows anything, so it could be anything." [most controversial response I could think of]

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 01:35:27 PM »

I suggested to AGD that Phil Cohen's generally pessimistic outlook when it comes to archival releases might on this occasion not be displaced. He said he thought not. But he also said listen to Howie and Jon S. And Howie and Jon S sounded fairly pessimistic to me.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 01:35:52 PM »

*misplaced.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 05:21:41 PM »

I suggest that, if we want to know the real reason FF is in limbo, we must track down Denni Leann.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 06:47:53 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 03:33:09 PM »

I'll begin:

Is Mike Love really the reason the set is being blocked? Can one man block it all? Is he that powerful? Is he a hero or villain? My opinion: probably not, at least not solely.

Let me put this question forth:

Do you think it seems out of character for Mike to use something valuable as a pawn if he thinks he could extract a desired result out of a situation? In particular, a result that he thinks may eventually lead to some sort of positive reevaluation for him as an artist by critics?

Or does Mike seem like a guy who would never do such a thing?

In my opinion, there's a few things that Mike would like more than for a media narrative to be created, with modern day results to back it up, that Brian needs Mike in order to write a hit song. And for the world to know that, for that to be established in stone.

And my theory is that in the possible event that it takes more than just Mike in order to block a release, do you think it is out of the realm of possibility that the estate of Carl Wilson would perhaps go along with such a block, if Mike spun things in a "this will help bring the family back together, and help bring closure to any feuding and dissension between the camps" type of manner?

If anything, Carl Wilson was a man who tried to make peace, who found a way to bridge different parties together, and kept the band and family together. He had a big weight upon his shoulders. I could see his kids thinking, if such an idea was proposed to them, that this would be a continuation of something that their father would have wanted. For Brian and Mike to essentially "kiss and make up" as they approach their twilight years. I can't imagine there are many people in the family who are happy with any type of estrangement between different camps. It's sad no matter how you look at it.

So anyway, that's my theory. I welcome people to poke holes in it but it seems fairly logical and airtight to me. I have no way of knowing if this is the case, but like I said I think it checks all the boxes. On top of everything, Mike would get to deeply piss off Melinda and "put her in her place" if such a reunion happened. And I think he would salivate at that in and of itself.
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 03:43:05 PM »

My initial thought (way, way back in this thread) for the reason that FF had been delayed was that Mike was jealous b/c this set was going to further expose DW as the second best songwriter in the band, and probably shower a lot of praise and attention his way.   (I'm not a Mike basher, btw.  I feel he deserves some of it, but not all.)   Until I hear a confirmed reason, I'm sticking with that initial hunch, even though I thought someone said way back it was a dispute over songwriting credits maybe?  IDK.  I check this thread every day, several times in fact, but it is hard to keep it all straight. 

"Shut up you guys"- Carl Wilson.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 04:12:13 PM »

My initial thought (way, way back in this thread) for the reason that FF had been delayed was that Mike was jealous b/c this set was going to further expose DW as the second best songwriter in the band, and probably shower a lot of praise and attention his way.   (I'm not a Mike basher, btw.  I feel he deserves some of it, but not all.)   Until I hear a confirmed reason, I'm sticking with that initial hunch, even though I thought someone said way back it was a dispute over songwriting credits maybe?  IDK.  I check this thread every day, several times in fact, but it is hard to keep it all straight.  

I can completely believe your theory; my theory goes hand-in-hand with that. It's all interconnected. His reasons, his scheming no matter how he wants to spin it, come down to jealousy and correcting all the perceived slights, both real and imagined, he has received over the years.

I think his reasoning is, if this set is going to further elevate DW and CW to higher heights, he wants to find a way to "counter" that in a manner that his own stock would go up too, in terms of public creative acclaim. "If DW gets to be even further appreciated, then dammit so do I". Mike is in no way, shape, or form, satisfied with how the public views his contributions to the band and its history. He's given countless interviews that show he is bitter and resentful and feels underappreciated.

While it's a no-brainer to me and to many folks that Mike did in fact contribute some solid and at times spectacular work to the band during this 70/71 era, most notably All I Wanna Do, I have little doubt that Mike feels the feather in his cap would be a modern day hit with Brian, written alone in a room the way he wants to do it, to correct how things went down in 2012 with him not getting his way in terms of working with Brian in the exact manner he wanted. Mike knows the lion's share of media praise the box will get will be aimed at the Wilsons, with Mike's contributions being considered good-to-great, but Mike simply did not have anywhere near the quantity of goods as the Wilsons did in 70/71. And he knows it.  I'd love to feel that fans could help move the needle on letting Mike know that people will give him praise for the material on the set, but I feel like it's unlikely he wouldn't just brush that off and be holding out for more. Way more. It sucks.

Plus the events of February 2020 likely loom large in Mike's mind, where he was publicly shamed by all the major news outlets, and this would help "fix" that; I think if February hadn't happened, this whole FF blockade situation would likely not have happened. Maybe if the pandemic hadn't given Mike the 1st chance in years to just sit around and think and stew, he wouldn't have concocted the scheme I believe he has concocted.

But as narcissists almost always do, Mike cannot at all accept the fact that Brian simply might not be interested in working with Mike again, because Brian has wisely developed an allergy to dealing with and working with narcissistic people who feel entitled to write with him. I'm sure Mike believes it is 100% Melinda responsible for keeping him away from his cousin. I don't think Mike is capable of thinking about things in terms of shades of gray, it's a black-and-white thing where he is the "wronged" party. In Mike's defense, I assume Brian probably has for many, many years given mixed messages to Mike, because Brian seemingly avoids confrontation and difficult emotional stuff.  And Mike probably just runs with it, because he then gets to frame everything his way, where Mike is some innocent, great human being of honor, and Mike can find examples in Brian's inconsistent behavior to give Mike "proof" that Mike is absolved from anything ever being his fault in terms of the Wilson/Love relationship.

If Mike could find a way to get all that he wants, no matter how he might dress up his reasoning, I think he would certainly jump at the chance to block the set using whatever kind of creative outward reasoning that he would like to. And yes I believe it is ALL ultimately connected to his unending, tragic, and destructive jealousy of the Wilsons. Jack Rieley knew it too.

Let's face it, other than the longshot of writing a new hit song with Brian Wilson at this late stage, what other morsel of a chance does Mike have to correct things in terms of his public perception in his mind? (Keeping in mind that his narcissistic mind is not able to understand the thought that simply avoiding playing despicable trophy hunting shows would help a ton, too).

The shot of writing new material with Brian is literally *all* Mike's got at this point. I'm sure a few people around him have told him that the FF box's music from 70/71 will help his reputation, but I don't think he feels it will do nearly enough, and why not go for broke if he could do that? This is the guy who kicked out Al from the band in 1998 in order to force a situation to go his way, to gain control in a manner that he saw fit, simply because he could.

While I'd love a happy ending to the story of this band, it makes me ill to think of someone dangling anything as a carrot, and it makes me ill to think of any reunion being forced or coerced.  Brian is too forgiving for his own good, and there are many examples. Look how Brian was ready to cut Landy slack, and Melinda understandably bristled at that. Not that I can't grasp there are some complexities to the Landy situation, and that Landy did actually save Brian's life, but I think the negatives that he did to Brian are so great that it's understandable that his wife would want to not elevate Landy's reputation as a general thing. She's protective for a reason. She gives a f*ck about Brian. As much as I feel that Mike literally cannot help but to act like a d*ck, Brian also seemingly cannot help but to be too forgiving for his own good. It's something about those two personalities. And because of this tragic ying/yang situation, I believe Mike just sees Melinda as an obstacle and nothing more, IMHO. And that's gross.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 05:14:53 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 10:16:49 AM »

I'll begin:

Let me put this question forth:

Do you think it seems out of character for Mike to use something valuable as a pawn if he thinks he could extract a desired result out of a situation? In particular, a result that he thinks may eventually lead to some sort of positive reevaluation for him as an artist by critics?

Or does Mike seem like a guy who would never do such a thing?

In my opinion, there's a few things that Mike would like more than for a media narrative to be created, with modern day results to back it up, that Brian needs Mike in order to write a hit song. And for the world to know that, for that to be established in stone.

And my theory is that in the possible event that it takes more than just Mike in order to block a release, do you think it is out of the realm of possibility that the estate of Carl Wilson would perhaps go along with such a block, if Mike spun things in a "this will help bring the family back together, and help bring closure to any feuding and dissension between the camps" type of manner?

If anything, Carl Wilson was a man who tried to make peace, who found a way to bridge different parties together, and kept the band and family together. He had a big weight upon his shoulders. I could see his kids thinking, if such an idea was proposed to them, that this would be a continuation of something that their father would have wanted. For Brian and Mike to essentially "kiss and make up" as they approach their twilight years. I can't imagine there are many people in the family who are happy with any type of estrangement between different camps. It's sad no matter how you look at it.

So anyway, that's my theory. I welcome people to poke holes in it but it seems fairly logical and airtight to me. I have no way of knowing if this is the case, but like I said I think it checks all the boxes. On top of everything, Mike would get to deeply piss off Melinda and "put her in her place" if such a reunion happened. And I think he would salivate at that in and of itself.

Do *I* think it's out of character? No I don't. Doesn't mean I think he's the sole reason for the holdup, nor do I think he could hold it up by himself (there doesn't seem to be clarity on this possibility anyway). If it's him, I think it's more likely he doesn't want a major release to happen until he's touring, but who knows.

Speculating about when and why Carl's sons would go with Mike is an area I don't really think I have any business getting into. I don't know those guys, but I assume they are men of their own minds, and respect the work of their dad, and make decisions with that respect.

I think the idea that Mike is holding it up as leverage for 60th plans is interesting, but it's a pretty big leap of faith. I would assume the actual reasoning is more basic and mundane (i.e., a couple members agreeing it's not a good time to release something because they want to get out and promote it).

The biggest issue I have - which I've brought up before - is that *not* releasing FF this year threatens/compromises the potential future release of FF.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 12:44:37 PM by DonnyL » Logged

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 10:22:59 AM »

My initial thought (way, way back in this thread) for the reason that FF had been delayed was that Mike was jealous b/c this set was going to further expose DW as the second best songwriter in the band, and probably shower a lot of praise and attention his way.   (I'm not a Mike basher, btw.  I feel he deserves some of it, but not all.)   Until I hear a confirmed reason, I'm sticking with that initial hunch, even though I thought someone said way back it was a dispute over songwriting credits maybe?  IDK.  I check this thread every day, several times in fact, but it is hard to keep it all straight.  

I think Made in California would not have had the tracklist it did if this were the case tbh. There was a LOT of Dennis on there, and that was a more major release. As much as Dennis and Mike had their issues, I think the FF release actually would semi-debunk the common myth/narrative about Mike. That is to say, "All I Wanna Do", "Big Sur", "Cool Cool Water", "Add Some Music", "Sound of Free", "Don't Go Near the Water", etc ... cast him in a good light and actually shows he was hip/involved in the music, not opposing it. This is to say, while this period may not be his favorite or particularly notable to him, I don't really think he would take issue with the material or track list.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 10:24:39 AM by DonnyL » Logged

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 10:42:37 AM »

I don't think Mike has ever been overly motivated by logic or consistency. I mean, why sue over the newspaper Smile CD? Why hold up the Pet Sounds boxed set? Why end the reunion? The reasons all shift and waver, and seem to be based on his own moods and internal band politics at the time. For instance, the 50th anniversary gave cover for the Smile sessions release. And I seem to recall Made in California was held up as well.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2020, 11:32:39 AM »

I don't think Mike has ever been overly motivated by logic or consistency. I mean, why sue over the newspaper Smile CD? Why hold up the Pet Sounds boxed set? Why end the reunion? The reasons all shift and waver, and seem to be based on his own moods and internal band politics at the time. For instance, the 50th anniversary gave cover for the Smile sessions release. And I seem to recall Made in California was held up as well.

Do we know why MIC was help up? I seem to recall Brian vetoing the potential inclusion of "Carry Me Home" and "Stevie", right? Did Mike veto any? AGD or someone has claimed that Mike pushed for *more* Dennis tracks. But I assume tracklist issues would be fairly quick to sort out.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2020, 11:35:56 AM »

Q&A where CD interviews Mike Love? Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 01:40:35 PM »

Do we know why MIC was help up? I seem to recall Brian vetoing the potential inclusion of "Carry Me Home" and "Stevie", right? Did Mike veto any? AGD or someone has claimed that Mike pushed for *more* Dennis tracks. But I assume tracklist issues would be fairly quick to sort out.

Re: Mike and Dennis songs on MIC: https://web.archive.org/web/20130930143358/http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2013/09/04/made-in-california-producers-alan-boyd-dennis-wolfe-mark-linett-beach-boys-interview/2/

RCM: Fill us in on the background behind some of the most essential unreleased tracks on the box set starting with (Wouldn’t It Be Nice To) Live Again.

Alan Boyd: It was written by Dennis Wilson and Stan Shapiro and was recorded as part of the Surf’s Up album sessions. It’s a gorgeous song, just absolutely beautiful. There are numerous reasons I’ve heard cited through the years as to why it didn’t show up on that album. A lot of it has to do with internal group politics and management things. But the first time we heard this we were blown away. I think it’s Dennis’ best vocal performance ever. We played the song for Mike (Love) and he really liked it and was really supportive of it being included.

As a matter of fact, Mike was talking about how one of his dream projects would be a box set with one disc highlighting each of the group members’ strongest moments over the years, which is incidentally something that Mark (Linett) has been wanting to do for many years too.

RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 07:02:10 AM »

My wild guess is that certain Beach Boys only want to release this when they're able to go on tour to promote the set.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 08:41:34 AM »

My wild guess is that certain Beach Boys only want to release this when they're able to go on tour to promote the set.

But isn't this the problem:

1) The set doesn't get released by December 31, 2020.
2) In order to make money from the tracks recorded 50 years ago they must release the unreleased tracks by that date
3) If they release a copyright dump, we pay $20-30 for the copyright dump on iTunes (or stream the content)
4) They do one of two things at this point regarding Feel Flows:
          A) They release Feel Flows in 2021+ and the set contains a slew of songs we already paid for in the copyright dump (thus pissing off a lot of fans)
          B) They create an altered boxset that doesn't include the copyright dump material (spending more money to re-create and rebrand a set)

Both of those options sound unlikely at this point, and if it's just for the sake of promoting it on tour they should really find an alternative way to promote the set. Because I'm pretty sure that whoever is holding up this boxset right now is pissing off a lot of people (not fans, but people in many camps who just want the thing released).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 08:42:46 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 08:57:38 AM »

As I mentioned elsewhere, touring has nothing to do with the set's delays.

Even aside from the information I've been made aware of, it would make no sense because neither Mike nor Brian have ever really toured to "promote" an archival boxed set. The last time a BB-related group made a specific effort in their live shows to promote a boxed set in a substantive fashion was the '93 "Good Vibrations" boxed set.

Sure, Mike dropped "Goin' to the Beach" into his setlist for a little while, and may have even mentioned the MIC boxed set during shows. But he has has never built a tour around promoting an archival set.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2020, 09:03:15 AM »

Speaking more broadly, I've seen theories that so-and-so is holding up the box due to *some other* music-related BB project (whether it's a 60th anniversary project, or touring, etc.).

I think it's safe to say that the hold up on this boxed set has zero to do with stonewalling it to make way for any other music-related project/issue.

As far as I'm aware, there is nobody behind the scenes saying "let's not release the boxed set, because I have this other amazing idea for a musical project!" While that would almost surely be a ridiculous reason to delay the box if that *were* true, that's all a non-issue because that's not the case here.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2020, 09:37:45 AM »

Speaking more broadly, I've seen theories that so-and-so is holding up the box due to *some other* music-related BB project (whether it's a 60th anniversary project, or touring, etc.).

I think it's safe to say that the hold up on this boxed set has zero to do with stonewalling it to make way for any other music-related project/issue.

As far as I'm aware, there is nobody behind the scenes saying "let's not release the boxed set, because I have this other amazing idea for a musical project!" While that would almost surely be a ridiculous reason to delay the box if that *were* true, that's all a non-issue because that's not the case here.

Hmm... well if that's the case, that shoots down my theory. And then that most likely means it's being held up for even pettier reasons then I could have imagined. G*ddamn. Would you surmise that the reasons this is being held up would widely be regarded as petty in nature?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 09:38:20 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2020, 05:02:46 PM »

[/quote]

I think Made in California would not have had the tracklist it did if this were the case tbh. There was a LOT of Dennis on there, and that was a more major release. As much as Dennis and Mike had their issues, I think the FF release actually would semi-debunk the common myth/narrative about Mike. That is to say, "All I Wanna Do", "Big Sur", "Cool Cool Water", "Add Some Music", "Sound of Free", "Don't Go Near the Water", etc ... cast him in a good light and actually shows he was hip/involved in the music, not opposing it. This is to say, while this period may not be his favorite or particularly notable to him, I don't really think he would take issue with the material or track list.
[/quote]

That's a really good point.  My only defense would be that people change, say one thing one minute and do something else the next, and maybe this set just goes crazy DW in a way that he couldn't stand.  IDK.  I hope it does for DW fans, and I hope Mike is OK with it, for as others have said, he made some great contributions during this era.

"Shut up you guys"- Carl Wilson.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2020, 11:43:30 PM »

I'm running out of viable explanations for this holdup.

No stonewalling for other releases.

No stonewalling for touring agreement.

I've got it - someone's stonewalling until the aspects are right!?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2020, 02:23:53 AM »

Re: Mike and Dennis songs on MIC: https://web.archive.org/web/20130930143358/http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2013/09/04/made-in-california-producers-alan-boyd-dennis-wolfe-mark-linett-beach-boys-interview/2/

RCM: Fill us in on the background behind some of the most essential unreleased tracks on the box set starting with (Wouldn’t It Be Nice To) Live Again.

Alan Boyd: It was written by Dennis Wilson and Stan Shapiro and was recorded as part of the Surf’s Up album sessions. It’s a gorgeous song, just absolutely beautiful. There are numerous reasons I’ve heard cited through the years as to why it didn’t show up on that album. A lot of it has to do with internal group politics and management things. But the first time we heard this we were blown away. I think it’s Dennis’ best vocal performance ever. We played the song for Mike (Love) and he really liked it and was really supportive of it being included.

As a matter of fact, Mike was talking about how one of his dream projects would be a box set with one disc highlighting each of the group members’ strongest moments over the years, which is incidentally something that Mark (Linett) has been wanting to do for many years too.

Thank you for posting this. I, too, thought the idea of Mike holding this set up due to Dennis material was plausible (and honestly, given how crazy BBs politics are perhaps that is the reason). But your information makes me realize how improbable that is. And apparently in some circles, us being informed with this information is entertaining? At least some people seem to be amused by this.

Given Mike’s history with Dennis, given the history of a boxset being held up, it did seem like a plausible reason to me. But it is nice to know that Mike was pushing for the inclusion of WIBNTLA (and to learn about his involvement with MiC). And it is great to learn about these things: the more we learn the less we spread nonsense/garbage.

We ALL have our different perspectives of this band. These perspectives have been shaped by things we have read, stories we have heard, the people we surround ourselves with in the fandom, even our own personal backgrounds probably help gravitate us towards certain members. Our posts are 100% influenced by these perspectives. And I will fully admit that I have been corrected countless times after posting nonsense that I thought was true.

Idk, I do understand where the sarcasm comes from, I’ve done it plenty of times myself on this forum. But I just wanted to share my perspective on this matter.

Wirestone made a perfect point in a previous post regarding Feel Flows: we are all nitpicking at each other because we want this set so badly. I am very much hoping that one day Cam, OSD, AGD, myself, and every beach boys fan (no matter our biases or differences) will be sitting in front of our sound systems with the biggest smiles on our faces - listening to Feel Flows with childlike joy and wonder.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2020, 06:28:18 AM »

"someone's stonewalling until the aspects are right!?"

yes, Genevelyn will give the go-ahead
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 06:29:13 AM by hideyotsuburaya » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2020, 01:53:01 PM »

Thank you for posting this. I, too, thought the idea of Mike holding this set up due to Dennis material was plausible (and honestly, given how crazy BBs politics are perhaps that is the reason). But your information makes me realize how improbable that is. And apparently in some circles, us being informed with this information is entertaining? At least some people seem to be amused by this.

Given Mike’s history with Dennis, given the history of a boxset being held up, it did seem like a plausible reason to me. But it is nice to know that Mike was pushing for the inclusion of WIBNTLA (and to learn about his involvement with MiC). And it is great to learn about these things: the more we learn the less we spread nonsense/garbage.

We ALL have our different perspectives of this band. These perspectives have been shaped by things we have read, stories we have heard, the people we surround ourselves with in the fandom, even our own personal backgrounds probably help gravitate us towards certain members. Our posts are 100% influenced by these perspectives. And I will fully admit that I have been corrected countless times after posting nonsense that I thought was true.

Idk, I do understand where the sarcasm comes from, I’ve done it plenty of times myself on this forum. But I just wanted to share my perspective on this matter.

Wirestone made a perfect point in a previous post regarding Feel Flows: we are all nitpicking at each other because we want this set so badly. I am very much hoping that one day Cam, OSD, AGD, myself, and every beach boys fan (no matter our biases or differences) will be sitting in front of our sound systems with the biggest smiles on our faces - listening to Feel Flows with childlike joy and wonder.

As I've said consistently throughout all of this, the content of the set (and for the purposes here I would include Dennis material being "content") is not the hold up.

That being said, I'm not sure why this one tidbit about Mike from back during the compilation of the MIC set in 2012 is being held up as much evidence of anything other than Mike being open/benevolent about a Dennis song in that moment. ALL of these guys have contradicted themselves over the years. They've said something or someone is great, and then later said the opposite.

Like most people, their opinions/enthusiasm/magnanimity wax and wane for a million reasons.

Not that it matters too much, but I don't look at that story about Mike and Dennis's WIBNTLA as a case of Mike "pushing" for it. In most cases, none of the band members "push" or advocate for these sets or for specific tracks in an unprompted fashion. There are random instances where I heard this has happened (I recall reading that Mike brought up using "Brian's Back" during the compilation of "Endless Harmony" in 1998), but even then it's usually a case where others (e.g. the team doing BB projects) devise most of everything, and then the members come in and give input or say yay or nay.

I'm not downplaying band members rather passively approving something. That's good enough for me, because the team devising these projects (Boyd, Linett, Edelson, and others in the past) know what they're doing. It sounds like Mike came in at some point and had some amount of hands-on input into the MIC set. Sounds good. (I've always contended the thing he had the most enthusiasm for, to the point of integrating into this shows, was finishing off "Goin' to the Beach" as his pet project. I'm sure any team working on a set would love to have a track like that to sort of cultivate more support/enthusiasm from Mike for a project). But that doesn't mean it establishes a history of Mike actively "pushing" for much in the way of archival material.

But playing Mike a Dennis track and Mike *not* screaming and running out of the room and vetoing the track is not the same thing as active, ENTHUSIASTIC championing of such projects. And isolated cases of active enthusiasm from a member does not portend any future similar behavior.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 01:54:25 PM by HeyJude » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx