gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:15:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hey everyone, glad to be here.... again  (Read 9899 times)
Unreconstructed Wilsonite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2020, 10:03:54 AM »

Hey everyone,

So basically to cut right through to the chase, I used to have an account here years ago. I would have originally joined up shortly after the 2012 reunion tour, of which I was fortunate enough to catch when the then-reunited Beach Boys came to Melbourne, Victoria. Unfortunately, I also joined when I was quite frankly a naive, foolish 13 year old who had a tendency to be passionate without any substance, and consistently put my foot in my mouth - all during a period which I look back on as a dark time in my personal life. As I grew up, I gradually contributed less before ultimately having my old account deleted - partially because I hardly came on anymore and partially because I was embarrassed by a great deal of the contributions I made here. Simply put, I believe I joined up too young.

One thing that has never changed, however, has been my love for The Beach Boys and their music. Though my interest in various bands and genres fluctuated over the years, I've realised that The Beach Boys are the one consistent group that I consider a favourite, and who I can turn to through good times and bad. Whether it be the moving ballads of the early period; or the Pet Sounds era material; or the more progressive work going right up to Holland; no other music has resonated with me or even at times moved me to tears like that of The Beach Boys. What's crazy as well is that I started listening to them as an act of rebellion towards my very classic rock (not that I dislike classic rock at all) oriented dad who loathed The Beach Boys.

As I'm sure all of you know, 2020 has been pretty rough and tough. Having been living in lockdown for the better part of the last half year or so, I'd long been considering making a return here. Much like before (well, the later years at least), I don't think I'll necessarily be an active, regular contributor. But I look forward to chiming in from time to time, and hearing about new releases that are announced!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 10:07:28 AM by Unreconstructed Wilsonite » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 10:49:25 AM »

Welcome back! That story about your dad is a trip LOL while my Mom was the one who got me into The Beach Boys at a very young age, I remember my father would remind me that The Beach Boys were a bunch of drug addicts (which I couldn't believe because their music was so wholesome and I knew nothing about the history of the band. Also I was too young to fully know what drugs even were haha).

As someone who still constantly puts his foot in his mouth (or at times acts disrespectfully toward other posters), I completely understand that feeling of embarrassment about posting....but it's a very good thing: it means we actually care about being wrong/right and we are aware of our behavior. When I'm wrong or have an overly-blunt opinion that gets called out, it usually puts me in check.

Another thing I've realized in this fandom is that even when you are told you are wrong, you may actually be right. There is so much disinformation about this band that spreads around, publicly and privately, some that still has yet to be corrected. Something I have learned to do is check multiple sources, use common sense, and always research where your information is coming from. Also, it's a big band with a big history, so there will always be multiple perspectives to each and every story. Anyways, my point being that there are so many different facets to this fandom, it's easy to feel overwhelmed, but overall it's such an awesome world to explore.

I think I was 20 when I first joined this forum and at the time I felt like I had too thin of skin to stay here. So I can't even imagine joining at 13!

One thing that has never changed, however, has been my love for The Beach Boys and their music.

THIS. They will always be my favorite band. I'm just so glad a lot of great people share this same love for this band that I do.

Again, welcome back.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 11:07:33 AM »

Welcome back!

I understand about feeling like you were too young at first; I was 16 when I first joined the old Mike Wheeler BB forum (I’m 42 now) and felt a bit on edge because I was a new fan and younger than anybody else on there. That, and I was a fan who got turned on the the music partially due to Brian being name dropped constantly at the time by alt-rock artists; couldn’t relate to anybody back then.

Gotta say it’s easier being a younger fan now; helps that those who became fans around the time I did had kids that grew up being fans thanks to us!

And just to make myself feel even older right now...my daughter is the same age you were when you started 🥺

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 06:22:41 PM »

Welcome back! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 03:13:26 AM »

Welcome back, UW. Of course, we already had a brief encounter in the General Music section. Wink

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 02:06:37 PM »

Welcome back. I just joined a year or so ago, and I haven't yet had the pleasure of reading your earlier posts. As to your being too young to join this forum at 13, that's probably true. Life is definitely a long maturation process, though, and keep in mind that in some ways when you're 30 you won't be the same the person you are at 21 either. It's all good.

Perhaps you have a little perspective on what life must have been like for Carl Wilson, who had just turned 15 when the Beach Boys had their first gig in December of 1961, and for David Marks, who joined the group at age 13. Those two had stunted childhoods, and were forced to mature very quickly.

I look forward to your contributions.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx