gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:59:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hal Blaine Talks About Brian Wilson  (Read 2608 times)
DSalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2020, 08:47:42 PM »

Interesting interview with Hal that I haven't seen before:

https://youtu.be/frTDGpHOY-4
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 09:57:47 PM »

I love Everything I Need.
A shame that it didn't end up as Hal heard it. I have heard the rough demo which might be closer to what Hal describes, but it isn't great quality and I don't think it is a proper mix.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 10:33:20 PM »

Interesting.  Hadn't heard this interview either. 

And agree about Everything I Need.  Freakin' love that song.  Amazing that the Wilson-Asher magic was intact 30 years later.

And I get where Hal was coming from regarding the Joe Thomas-finished "Wilsons" version.  It is very busy, over-produced and laden with, as Hal says, "clicks all over the place."

I can indeed imagine a better mix of what exists on youtube as "demo" being a hit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRc_ao2NrIk

Jeff Foskett's version is stunning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPXleBlUjSM

I'm guessing that Jeff's instrumental track is more in line with Brian's original version.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 01:22:59 AM »

Yes, such a beautiful song! Love Jeff's version (with Brian guesting obviously). It has that certain close-to-but-not-yet psychedelical pop beauty. You can get lost in Brian's outro.
And it's interesting that Brian and Tony Asher still had the goods to come up with something that is not jus a re-write of their famous tunes yet has the same innocent feeling.

BTW 90s pop and rock ballads had a lot of drums on them. So I guess that's where Joe Thomas was coming from.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 01:26:07 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 02:18:29 AM »

This is so telling about the Brian/Joe Thomas relationship. Thanks for sharing!
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 01:09:57 PM »

If you look at the song credits, it's full of Thomas men who later would appear on Imagination, outnumbering the Wrecking Crew legends. For example, Eddie Bayers is credited with drums alongside Hal. I assume the first one did most of the dirty work.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 01:18:26 PM »

If you look at the song credits, it's full of Thomas men who later would appear on Imagination, outnumbering the Wrecking Crew legends. For example, Eddie Bayers is credited with drums alongside Hal. I assume the first one did most of the dirty work.

Eddie Bayers is a well known studio musician, though. Not saying he didn't get there because of Joe hiring him. But it's not like he is a "Thomas-guy" who would not get a good gig on his own.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 06:21:32 PM »

I wasn't my intention to being dismissive of his playing, just stating the fact that he was one of the regulars at Joe's sessions
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 05:48:24 AM »

I wasn't my intention to being dismissive of his playing, just stating the fact that he was one of the regulars at Joe's sessions

Agreed. He's a Nashville guy, and most of Joe's men are in Nashville or Chicago.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 07:30:15 AM »

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that you was dismissive. Sorry if it came across that way. Just wanted to add some info.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 09:59:15 AM »

Speaking of Nashville session guys...Greg Leisz played on Imagination; he’d also played on albums from Beck and kd Lang, which was mentioned in the press release. Anybody else remember it erroneously being reported briefly that *Brian* was recording with Beck and Lang?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 12:39:45 PM »

No, I don't remember that, but it's a fine excuse to mention that Greg Leisz has a very impressive and ever growing CV, not to mention his wife, bassit Mai, part of David Crosby's Sky Trails band (i.e. the electric one)

And some good things came out of "Joe's men". Bob Lizik. Paul Von Mertens, and one more...
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 08:56:46 PM »

I have a cassette with two versions of Everything I Need on them; the first one has Brian and Wendy sharing the vocals; the second one adds Carnie's voice to it. Both definitely have Brian's touch all over them; very much a mid 60's sound. I was so disappointed when I heard the released version.
Hey, if we can't get the Feel Flows box, how about a 2 cd set of Wilson/Paley recordings?
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2020, 09:13:19 PM »

I have a cassette with two versions of Everything I Need on them; the first one has Brian and Wendy sharing the vocals; the second one adds Carnie's voice to it. Both definitely have Brian's touch all over them; very much a mid 60's sound. I was so disappointed when I heard the released version.
Hey, if we can't get the Feel Flows box, how about a 2 cd set of Wilson/Paley recordings?

How do your cassette versions compare with this so-called demo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRc_ao2NrIk
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx