gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:07:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This 1976 Brian interview is hilarious  (Read 6783 times)
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2020, 04:35:22 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYiT_opaUsM
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 11:42:33 PM »

Hmmm.  More sad than hilarious.  Roll Eyes      Let's face it. That '76 tour was a low point in multiple respects.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 01:39:45 AM »

Thanks for sharing!

I don't know what to say. On one hand, Brian certainly seems engaged, but then also way over the top. Possibly he's also kidding around a bit but then he also seems somehow out of his mind. There's no clear point he makes. This isn't edited, is it?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 04:33:43 AM »

Anxious and also on coke I guess - but I still don't think he came across that badly. It seems sped up also.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 06:58:06 AM »

This is amazing. Thanks for sharing!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 01:13:51 PM »

Definitely sped up judging by the pitch of his voice

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 03:01:12 AM »

Probably two cups of coffee! Wink

Love his sense of humor, totally unique.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 11:45:49 PM »

I  got out of breath just listening to him talk! Slow down, Brian, please, and let the dj's talk; and stop talking about drugs so much - this is KJR, top 40 radio, not some alternative free form FM.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 05:07:25 AM »

Landy was let go sometime in December '76 - pretty sure it was before the band played those shows in Seattle. Which means, the white powder may have returned already...it certainly had by the time of the D.C. area shows a month later...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2020, 12:24:23 PM »

Yet oddly enough his voice got better

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 12:33:39 PM »

Landy was let go sometime in December '76 - pretty sure it was before the band played those shows in Seattle. Which means, the white powder may have returned already...it certainly had by the time of the D.C. area shows a month later...
Man, that is sad. This was heading into absolute rock bottom territory for the group - Brian, Dennis, and even Carl heavily into the bad stuff.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 03:49:19 PM »

This is INCREDIBLE. I've never heard this before and it's incredible on BW at the time. He sure would've been fun to hang with in that era. No wonder why he had a great time recording Love You (#coke)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2020, 02:48:18 AM »

Speaking of Brian interviews, I heard this one yesterday for the first time iirc.

Brian Wilson • 1980 Interview With Roger Scott About "Keepin' The Summer Alive"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7wr2ohjw9Y

What's interesting to me is that he actually gets into some details about the music. Like how they positioned the harmonies for "Sunshine", or singing the background vocals to "School days". He obviously knew what he was doing, even though you can certainly argue about the results.

And this one from 1995 (with a cigarette). But at this time he seems a little unfocused copared to the older stuff. Landy sure did his "magic" on him  Sad

Brian Wilson • 1995 Interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1mg5p-49C8
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 02:51:14 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2020, 12:50:05 PM »

Speaking of Brian interviews, I heard this one yesterday for the first time iirc.

Brian Wilson • 1980 Interview With Roger Scott About "Keepin' The Summer Alive"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7wr2ohjw9Y

What's interesting to me is that he actually gets into some details about the music. Like how they positioned the harmonies for "Sunshine", or singing the background vocals to "School days". He obviously knew what he was doing, even though you can certainly argue about the results.

And this one from 1995 (with a cigarette). But at this time he seems a little unfocused compared to the older stuff. Landy sure did his "magic" on him  Sad

Brian Wilson • 1995 Interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1mg5p-49C8
He might not be having the best of days there, but he is giving good answers - honest answers - -even if it's a little painful. In later years, it's like he just shuts down for interviews, doesn't want to talk.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2020, 06:39:41 PM »

This one (1968) kinda sounds like a younger version of his older self
https://youtu.be/a3OQ4w77l0g

And this one (2009) sounds like an older version on his younger self

https://youtu.be/mSy-p1Lejfw

Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2020, 02:06:29 AM »

Landy was let go in December of 1976?  That's interesting, considering how thin and healthy-ish Brian looked in late 1977.  He did that on his own?

Also, good lord, this 1976 interview.  Brian just can't stop talking about drugs. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 02:08:27 AM by Shane » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2020, 05:24:47 AM »

Landy was let go in December of 1976?  That's interesting, considering how thin and healthy-ish Brian looked in late 1977.  He did that on his own?

Also, good lord, this 1976 interview.  Brian just can't stop talking about drugs. 

Yeah...that bit about having lots of money to buy cocaine was actually broadcast on my local radio station on Brian's birthday back in 1986! It was a little soundbite they threw out there when wishing him a Happy B-Day.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2020, 05:29:31 PM »

I think a lot of people don't really have a good idea of just how involved Brian was with drugs from mid to late '60's  until approx. 1983. There probably wasn't a day that went by during that period when Brian wasn't at least stoned. Not to mention uppers, downers and heavy involvement with cocaine. Steve Desper said that Brian was the kind of guy who would try anything, even if he didn't know what it was.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2020, 07:55:19 PM »

Even after 83 he still smoked weed (there’s even a video of Brian on YouTube where it seems like he’s asking for a nickel sack along with some Xanax). Not sure when that stopped but there’s a 95 interview posted in another thread where he’s either smoking a joint or a home rolled cigarette

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2020, 10:24:24 PM »

Even after 83 he still smoked weed (there’s even a video of Brian on YouTube where it seems like he’s asking for a nickel sack along with some Xanax). Not sure when that stopped but there’s a 95 interview posted in another thread where he’s either smoking a joint or a home rolled cigarette

Surprised about the '95 thing, though he was back on tobacco cigarettes post Landy.  There are indeed stories about Landy & company continuing to ply Brian with cannabis in the '80s, and those stories are disturbing and indicative of what a malevolent hack Landy was. The psychoactive effects of THC are just about the last thing someone prone to auditory hallucinations should be medicating with.  I don't want to get into a debate on cannabis in general, but I don't know any reputable psychiatrist who would recommend THC for someone with Brian's mental issues.  
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 10:25:12 PM by juggler » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2020, 02:12:21 AM »

I wonder what happened when Brian and the Beach Boys recorded "Warmth of the sun" with Willie Nelson at his studio.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2020, 07:58:36 AM »

LOL

This is the clip I was referring to.

https://youtu.be/a1mg5p-49C8

Join The Human Race
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2020, 08:42:32 AM »

That 1995 interview is the worst I've ever seen Brian. I'm not sure if it's just a bad day for him or the side effects of Landy. Brian from 1998 is like a whole another person than Brian in 1995.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2020, 09:01:40 AM »

His facial gestures and tics in that clip indicate that BW was still in the throes of severe tardive dyskinesia.  That's a side effect of certain antipsychotic meds.  This would have been shortly after the Melinda wedding but apparently before she got him to better doctors who put him on different meds.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2020, 09:07:35 AM »

Addendum:  Some of us, including me, have occasionally lamented the fact that Carl pulled the plug on the '95 Don Was sessions and potentially deprived us of a BB album of new material in that era  That '95 clip goes a long way in explaining why Carl did what he did.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx