gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:58:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mixology Podcast: The Complete Wild Honey Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown  (Read 1718 times)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2020, 01:26:03 AM »

Hello Friends! If you haven't stumbled upon my Mixology podcast before, in each episode I take an album, and break down the mono and stereo mixes associated with that album, and often non-LP tracks associated with it. However, today I've taken my first look at a remix on the show, and that is for 1967's Wild Honey. Obviously comparing the 1967 Mono Mix to the 2017 Sunshine Tomorrow Stereo Mix, there were a surprising amount of very clear differences between the two mixes, making a 24 min album into a 44 min episode! I will also be taking in to account the 2001 Mix of Let the Wind Blow, the 2012 mixes of Wild Honey & Darlin, and the 2013 Stereo mixes of Darlin' & Country Air, as well as a a little curio from the 1967 French Stereo LP, and the Sunshine Tomorrow "Stereo Single Mix" of Aren't You Glad.

If you enjoy the episode too, I've previously covered Shut Down, Volume 2, as well as albums by The Beatles, The Hollies, The Rolling Stones, Simon & Garfunkel, and more, with plenty more to come! You can find the podcast on all good podcast platforms searching up "Mixology", and once you get past all the alcohol related ones, you're golden! You can also find the show on Podbean right here: https://mixology.podbean.com/

If you enjoy the show, consider checking out my companion podcast "Back to Mono", which is structured more like a radio show, where I play mono mixes taken directly from my vinyl collection, with plenty of nerdy discussion of course. Again, all podcast platforms, and on Podbean here: https://backtomono.podbean.com/

SO! Please enjoy the show, and let me know any suggestions for future episodes.

Happy Listening,

Frederick

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 07:25:12 PM »

Looks like a lot of cool stuff on the site!  I will be perusing soon.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 11:35:12 PM »

Looks like a lot of cool stuff on the site!  I will be perusing soon.

Thank you very much! Hopefully there’s plenty more to enjoy than just the Beach Boys episodes! All feedback is welcome.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 07:46:32 AM »

Hey I haven't had a chance to listen to the entire thing, but thus far I've listened to about 1/3rd of it, AMAZING! You have such a radio-friendly voice that I had to check out what other podcasts you have done - glad to see there is another Beach Boys album to look into (and I'm intrigued by the rest of the episodes too).

Your breakdowns are very informative - you helped me pick up on stuff that I never noticed before in the mono mixes. Also your production is 10/10.

I would love to hear an episode about the Pet Sounds stereo/mono mixes...as I definitely prefer some songs in stereo and some songs in mono from that album - would be cool to hear your thoughts on it. Perhaps talk some about the CATPs Pet Sounds mix.

But thanks for posting this, looking forward to finishing the episode and hearing more!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 08:22:49 AM »

Hey I haven't had a chance to listen to the entire thing, but thus far I've listened to about 1/3rd of it, AMAZING! You have such a radio-friendly voice that I had to check out what other podcasts you have done - glad to see there is another Beach Boys album to look into (and I'm intrigued by the rest of the episodes too).

Your breakdowns are very informative - you helped me pick up on stuff that I never noticed before in the mono mixes. Also your production is 10/10.

I would love to hear an episode about the Pet Sounds stereo/mono mixes...as I definitely prefer some songs in stereo and some songs in mono from that album - would be cool to hear your thoughts on it. Perhaps talk some about the CATPs Pet Sounds mix.

But thanks for posting this, looking forward to finishing the episode and hearing more!

When it comes to Pet Sounds, I have a long list of notes I've been working on... it's certainly on the cards, but I wanted to build up the episodes a bit further before I jumped on that train. I will however say that the CATP Mono LP does match the standard mono, but I might do a run down of pressings as a bonus in the episode, as... well... why not?  LOL

Your comments mean a lot though! I do get a bit concerned about my delivery sometimes, so I'm glad it comes off well, same on the production. It's been a while since I've been on the board, so it's nice to see a familiar face like yours chip in.  Smiley

Stay tuned!

Freddie

Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 12:05:55 PM »

That was a fantastic listen, after i finished Wild Honey I listened to the Sgt. Pepper's one. Well done! Look forward to hearing more in the future
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 12:32:26 PM »

Listed to this and your other Beach Boys episode—fantastic! Thanks for making these.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 02:49:48 PM »

Freddie, just listened to this BRILLIANT STUFF Sir - A great appreciation of my 2nd Fav BB's album
I do recall being blown away by the 50 Big Ones Darlin' and Wild Honey in 2012 , it was really like listening to different songs

Surfs Up (Sean Macreavy, Jimmy Hughes, Me and the rest of the mob) did a few shows of playing the whole album (about 7-8 years ago), and on the insistence of David Bash we did the whole thing at The IPO Festival at the Cavern in Liverpool (the hipster crowd loved it)  Grin

Though filmed on a phone (with not the best of sound), a rather rocky version of A Thing Or Two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEDy_0eZgCU

« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 03:01:11 PM by Rob Dean » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx