gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 07:40:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Judy Bowles  (Read 2285 times)
DSalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2020, 08:24:34 PM »

Beach Boy scholar and historian, Jim Murphy, recently posted a new entry to his “Becoming the Beach Boys” site entitled “Do You Love Me, Do You Surfer Girl?” which explores Brian’s relationship with Judy Bowles.

https://becomingthebeachboys.com/2020/08/02/do-you-love-me-do-you-surfer-girl/

A good bit of this information has already been published in his book and the Winter, 2016 issue of ESQ but there is some additional information / better quality photos, etc.

Now if we can just convince Jim to publish Volume 2 of his book – one of the very best that I’ve ever read on the Beach Boys! Highly recommended.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 09:47:59 PM »

This is interesting stuff.  Al Jardine has described their Hawthorne world as right out of 'American Graffiti,' and that seems accurate.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 09:49:03 PM by juggler » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 11:53:42 AM »

Right but obviously a bit different-these were small town America guys who did all that normal stuff but I didn’t know any fifteen year olds (like Carl) who drove to different towns and played to large crowds of strangers for pay-that’s not normal -that’s extraordinary or guys like Brian that were producing and arranging records when they were nineteen and not just goofing around and cruising the town
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 12:58:33 PM »

Great read.

"For a writing assignment, she once submitted a poem Brian wrote from a young girl’s perspective.  When she received it back, her teacher had written on it ‘Are you sure you wrote this?’ "

Did anyone ever get a hold of that poem?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 01:26:26 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up!

I only started reading and came across this part:

An interesting footnote to the photo involves the one player not shown—Bob Levey, the son of legendary jazz drummer Stan Levey.  After his parents divorced, Levey moved from Brooklyn, New York, to Hawthorne in the late 1950s.  Levey pitched, played third base, and was a strong pinch hitter.  “Brian was a fabulous guy,” Levey recalled.  “Just a real good person.  He was always out there cracking jokes.”

Now on Wikipedia I found this about Steve:

After his tenure with the Stan Kenton Orchestra he moved to the West Coast in 1954, joining Howard Rumsey, Don Joham and the Lighthouse All-Stars, and was a major influence in West Coast jazz. Though "cool" jazz was common on the West Coast, Levey's crisp, melodic style continued to have more in common with bop than cool, and he inspired every group he ever played in. A right-handed person, Levey played the drums, as if left-handed. Levey has played on thousands of recordings, including those with musicians Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Stan Getz, Ella Fitzgerald, Peggy Lee, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole and with bands such as that of Quincy Jones, and Skitch Henderson and The Tonight Show Band.

So, I don't know if the timing fits or if they had any contact, but do you think that Dennis' style of playing was influenced by Levey, maybe through his son showing Dennis some stuff? Dennis did play like he was left-handed, too.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 06:30:58 PM »

An interesting footnote to the photo involves the one player not shown—Bob Levey, the son of legendary jazz drummer Stan Levey.  After his parents divorced, Levey moved from Brooklyn, New York, to Hawthorne in the late 1950s.  Levey pitched, played third base, and was a strong pinch hitter.  “Brian was a fabulous guy,” Levey recalled.  “Just a real good person.  He was always out there cracking jokes.”

Levey's crisp, melodic style continued to have more in common with bop than cool, and he inspired every group he ever played in. A right-handed person, Levey played the drums, as if left-handed. Levey has played on thousands of recordings, ...
So, I don't know if the timing fits or if they had any contact, but do you think that Dennis' style of playing was influenced by Levey, maybe through his son showing Dennis some stuff? Dennis did play like he was left-handed, too.

Stan Levey does play on “At My Window,” although that would likely be too late for him to show Dennis anything.
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 09:49:57 PM »

Playing the drums left handed is common among drummers who are self taught. The hi-hat is on the left, so it makes more sense for those who are new to the kit to play it with the left hand. Dennis always switched to right handed drumming when he used the ride, and all his fills lead with the right.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 07:53:07 AM »

Levey's crisp, melodic style continued to have more in common with bop than cool, and he inspired every group he ever played in. A right-handed person, Levey played the drums, as if left-handed. Levey has played on thousands of recordings, ...

Stan Levey does play on “At My Window,” although that would likely be too late for him to show Dennis anything.

Didn't know that! Cool info

Playing the drums left handed is common among drummers who are self taught. The hi-hat is on the left, so it makes more sense for those who are new to the kit to play it with the left hand. Dennis always switched to right handed drumming when he used the ride, and all his fills lead with the right.

Ok, since I'm not a drummer, I wasn't aware of that. I heard that Dennis learned some drumming at school, so I thought there may have been a connection.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 02:25:16 PM »

Can definitely confirm ...my daughter is also self taught and plays drums and guitar left handed

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx