gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 03:14:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone seen this Pacific Ocean Blue tape before?  (Read 2126 times)
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2006, 11:19:52 AM »

i have a large beach boy collection. it long ago took over my home. i have things boxed up and stored everywhere. last week i stumbled upon a large box with about 200 or so tapes in it, interviews-concerts-and the like. i found this tape of pacific ocean blue that i long ago forgot i had.

this was sent to me BEFORE pob was released on record. i will not name any names but they were at brother. the tape is a copy of pob on cassette tape. it is labeled as 5/26/77. i got this in early june, so yes i had pob for about 2 & 1/2 months before it was "out". here is what i remember being told, but not totally sure because it has been almost 30 yrs ago. i was told brother hosted a "listening" party for the lp. a few copies were made and passed out. the lp then came out a little later. i have sent copies of the labels so you can see what i am talking about. a "brother" sticker with address and phone number has been pasted over the maxell tape label. i aslo sent along a pic of the typed label.

anyway, this is how i remember it. may be wrong though. anyone ever see a copy of pob like this before. i haven't. if anyone can provide info i would appreciate it.

thanks

side A:
side B:
label:   
tapelabel:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 11:21:01 AM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 12:17:17 PM »

I've never seen one of those in "circulation" before. I have seen asst. reference cassettes from Brother in the hands of a former employee, don't know if I've seen one with the full LP track listing like that. Wondering if the cassette copy you have has the normal mixes or something different? There are radically different mixes of the POB tracks that have shown up on cassette. The early date of your cassette shows POB was ready to go much earlier in the year, and was held back for BB's Love You to take it's course. Very cool item, thanks for sharing!!
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 12:53:41 PM »

I've never seen one of those in "circulation" before. I have seen asst. reference cassettes from Brother in the hands of a former employee, don't know if I've seen one with the full LP track listing like that. Wondering if the cassette copy you have has the normal mixes or something different? There are radically different mixes of the POB tracks that have shown up on cassette. The early date of your cassette shows POB was ready to go much earlier in the year, and was held back for BB's Love You to take it's course. Very cool item, thanks for sharing!!

this has been in storage for over 20 years. after the lp came out i didn't listen to it anymore, thought nothing of it, because everyone could buy it.  i have not played it in well over 20 years. the above story is how i remember it being told me me when i got my copy but after almost 30 yrs i may be remembering it wrong and why i ask. i will have to listen and see if anything is a different mix. but i was told dennis was there and these were handed out to those present. all i know for sure is this is what i was told way back then.

thanks for your info!

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 09:57:17 AM »

after listening to the tape, the mixes sound the same to me....

Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 11:55:54 PM »

Wow - that is EXTREMELY cool!!!

What a freaking shame - nay, CRIME! - that POB languishes out-of-print when there are two generations that haven't really had the chance to hear it and judge for themselves its worthiness...

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx