gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 02:19:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Have We Heard All Pieces Of 1966 Smile?  (Read 3137 times)
cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2006, 09:51:30 AM »

Tons of bootlegs. Tons of compilations where you think the material is going to be something you never heard and it just ends up being something you've heard before.   Sea Of Tunes.   The generosity of collectors during MyPlay in 2000-2001.  Not to mention the COUNTLESS sessions of the group dicking around with H&V over 200 times.

My question is, do you think we've heard everything or just about 95% of what was recorded for the 1966 Smile by now? 

Or do you think Brian and Co. have some stuff stashed that won't be released until Brian's pushing up daisies?

Unfortunately, we can't go by Brian's word all the time because he gives the same old tired answers that we've heard for years.  Even though we love the BWPS DVD's and all that good stuff, most of what seems to be "insight" turns out to be building the 2004 Smile.

I know there's going to be some naysayers that will go into "BlueBoard Mode" while shaking their sedatives in anger while babbling, "Don't we have enough?  Brian has shared so much!"

That is true and we are thankful.  We have gone to see Brian live many times.  We have paid our hard earned money for all official versions put out, repackaged and sold.  We're not the kinds of people who just lob "Sounds Of Summer" and "Endless Summer" right next to the stagnent Jimmy Buffett and the milquetoast Eagles.

And like all collectors who love this music, we want to know if we've heard it all or not...which has yet to be answered since NO ONE in the BB camp, even slightly affiliated, either doesn't know or will touch the bootleg topic with a ten foot pole.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 09:57:58 AM by cta » Logged

Feh.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 10:34:14 AM »

There are sessions that are documented, especially some vocal sessions, that have never turned up.  Apparently these are, mostly or totally, gone from the vaults.  There are tape boxes that are empty.  And there are reports of some collectors having some things that our general population does not.  Alan Boyd has seen a picture of a Brother Records tape vault shelf, taken sometime in the '70s or '80s, with a reel labeled "Brian - Dumb Angel".  No one knows what was on it, and it ain't there no more.  So, to answer your question, there is more than what we've heard, some of it may no longer exist and definitely isn't in the vault anymore.  I believe we've heard almost all of what's in the vaults, either legiitimately or via bootlegs.  There may be a tiny bit more in the vaults currently, and there's always the hope someone will cough up something from an acetate or tape copy being stored offsite somewhere.  As far as the original multi-tracks of the missing stuff, as well as the multi-tracks of some of the stuff that has been released from acetates, mono mixdowns, or tape copies, they were apparently either (a) destroyed by Brian, (b) stolen from the studio or vaults, (b) accidentally thrown out, or (c) misplaced and remain misplaced to this day.
XY
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 10:52:47 AM »

And that's why I think that the still unheard acetates are very important. I'm talking about Durrie Parks tapes for example. From what I read, she has plenty of them. Also private video tapes from the SMILE era. I agree that we heard most of the instrumental tracks from 66, but the vocals are interesting and the sequencing. Vocals were erased on multitrack-tapes and I'm sure Brian recorded guide-vocals.
And yes, I would also love to hear those early 1977 super mega ultra rare SMILE boots with stuff the new SMILE generation didn't get to hear yet.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 11:02:49 AM »

Alan Boyd has seen a picture of a Brother Records tape vault shelf, taken sometime in the '70s or '80s, with a reel labeled "Brian - Dumb Angel".  No one knows what was on it, and it ain't there no more.

And guess where he saw it? Right on this board. In fact, here it is (look at the reel in the bottom right hand corner).

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 11:09:52 AM »

Does anyone remember the statement made on one of the boards about eight years ago that a "test sequence" tape for the first part of "SMiLE" had been discovered? This was around the same time that the 3 min. edited backing track to "Child Is Father Of The Man" was uncovered and I thought Alan Boyd had also remarked at the time that a rough sequencing tape was found as well. My impression was this was not a huge revelation, but evidence that Brian had fooled around with sequencing the early parts of the album. I had completely forgotten about it since, but this thread reminded me.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 12:08:05 PM »

And yes, I would also love to hear those early 1977 super mega ultra rare SMILE boots with stuff the new SMILE generation didn't get to hear yet.

What's this about? What was on there?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 12:19:56 PM »

>>> Does anyone remember the statement made on one of the boards about eight years ago that a "test sequence" tape for the first part of "SMiLE" had been discovered?

I seem to remember some vague talk that the comp reel we'd had for some time -- with "Worms," "Cab," "Child," "Wonderful," and I forget what else, that we used to call the "December comp reel" but now I think figured out it was made later on by Carl, IIRC -- was a "test sequence" for side 1. But I think that was pure conjecture. Unless someone remembers something else?!
XY
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 12:28:23 PM »

What's this about? What was on there?

A big collection of SMILE stuff and the source for Secret Smile.
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 04:58:16 PM »

I would bet that if Brian, Van Dyke, and Darian and Co. either remembered or came across any significantly different or compelling material, it would have been incorporated into BWPS.  On the other hand....call me when Durrie Parks has a garage sale...I'd love to go through her junk.
MBE
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 10:04:30 PM »

Just to clarify there wasn't any Smile vinyl until 1983. I think the 1977 boot was a tape.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 11:37:32 PM »

Somebody posted recently saying that Durrie Parks had at some point been contacted by BRI people (I think - or maybe capitol, sorry I don't understand exactly who's who in all this) about her acetates so you would imagine they are being stored safely now. This question was raised recently but disappointingly there was no further info on this. Did anyone ask Alan Boyd if he knew the situation?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 12:00:14 AM »

most of what seems to be "insight" turns out to be building the 2004 Smile.

In the Priore book he claims that the clarinet line on Song For Children/Look is vintage and was heard from a headphone bleed (this is also true for CIFOTM) and I believe this. I'd love to hear the 66 recording with this phantom clarinet line. If it exists it's one example of an unbooted session.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx