gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:57:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not sold on MIU yet....  (Read 5507 times)
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2020, 09:58:09 PM »

Great to read such positive remarks about MIU!
I feel slightly guilty that "Sweet Sunday" is probably my very favourite Carl lead, as apparently he wasn't overwhelmed with the song himself.
Reverberation
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2020, 04:55:27 PM »

I agree that Keepin' the Summer Alive (the album) is not too bad, but it's not quite in the same league as MIU, LA, Love You, or even 15 Big Ones for me. There's definitely something too clean about the production--it's too glossy/over-produced sounding for sure. For some reason the 70s albums have a warmer, organic/analog type of sound and vintage production style that I prefer. The KTSA tracks everyone notes such as Oh Darlin' and Goin' On are great, but I also really like Livin' With a Heartache, When Girls Get Together, Endless Harmony, and the title track, which is a nice little rocker. As far as 80s albums go, I enjoy the 1985 album a whole lot. It's gotta be be my fav 80s BB album, and it's much better than KTSA, imo. I also like parts of Still Cruisin', though I wish the album art on the cover was a lot better. Besides Kokomo, my fav on that one is easily Somewhere Near Japan, though I like Brian's In My Car a good deal too.

In the 90s, I'm really not a fan of SiP and think it's the worst BB record, but production and most songs aside, even it has a few redeeming features. Stars and Stripes is one I really like. The Willie Nelson Warmth of the Sun is the highlight. Best 90s BB album obviously, but I would have LOVED to have heard the Don Was 90s BB album. The tracks on Made In California like You're Still a Mystery and Soul Searchin' are incredible, plus whatever material would have made it on there from Brian's solo work (The Paley Sessions, etc.). I know he was supposed to collaborate with the High Llamas too, after hearing their double LP, Hawaii. But I think Mike Love f-ed that up by calling one of them a queer when they got off the plane, or something like that. Brian's solo stuff from the 90s, the Sweet Insanity stuff, the stuff with Andy Paley, it's so much better than what the BB actually put out. I guess it's a little like the BB in the 70s and Dennis' solo music.

That's Why God Made the Radio is an incredible album and the best record they've put out since the 70s. I think I recall hearing that some of it was written in the 90s, however. When reading Mike's book, I was really surprised to hear him allege that TWGMTR was almost entirely written/produced by Brian alone. Not sure the truth of that but it's a good record in any case. It would be cool to hear Brian's original intention for Summer's Gone and all of that. I'm also waiting for that "Rock n' Roll record"...
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2020, 05:23:31 AM »

Livin' With a Heartache and Goin' On are the two that I can never get enough of. Keepin' The Summer Alive is a good track, but it doesn't rock nearly as much on vinyl as it did when they played it live. It really is the production that sinks that album. That's the biggest problem I have with that album and MIU - the production.

Fair enough.  I do think it's pretty swell that they recruited Joe Walsh to handle the guitar solo on the title track though.  As far as the production goes, I really don't detect that big a difference with it compared to the other albums they were putting out during that period.  I suppose it's  a little dry.  It wouldn't be until the self-titled 1985 album when you would hear a dramatic shift in sound.  
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 05:27:01 AM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx