gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:30:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys trying to sack Bruce around Sunflower  (Read 6832 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2020, 10:35:07 PM »

I think you mean Bruce on the last point

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2020, 09:29:34 AM »

I thought I read somewhere that Dennis taught himself how to play piano.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2020, 10:34:57 AM »

The way I see it Bruce was not a founding member of that group, he joined 4 years after they formed and what 9 or 10 albums in, and dozens of hit singles later? So he really had no ground to give any sort of authority. I’m sure the others valued his input and music but he did not contribute a lot to the band, not his fault but more the fact they had Brian, Mike, Carl and Dennis doing a lot of the work.

You're not wrong -- actually your figure of "9 or 10 albums in" is exactly right, depending on whether you count Concert.

He can be first heard on the 16th "hit" Beach Boys side, if you define "hit" as a top 40 song. Technically their 12th top 40 single. ("California Girls.")

I think you're right that it was inevitable that a clash was coming as Bruce became more prominent on the albums, starting with 20/20. Particularly on Surf's Up when he was carrying a lot of the arranging weight that Brian had abdicated, and given that there was really no-one else in the band who was able to do that, no-one should be surprised that he got a little big for his britches and that a blow-up took place. Things were a bit more balanced on Sunflower because Brian and Dennis were more involved, although again Bruce was the only really capable arranger in the band aside from Brian at this point.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 10:38:56 AM by maggie » Logged
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2020, 12:52:27 PM »

I think you mean Bruce on the last point

Yep. It's fixed now. :-)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2020, 03:58:25 PM »

I thought I read somewhere that Dennis taught himself how to play piano.

Well, Audree taught him (and David) boogie-woogie piano, Bruce showed him some more sophisticated chords, and he taught himself a lot after that.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx